Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam and Evolution?

• 24-05-2007 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Are they compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I see no reason why they can't go together just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Think this was talked about at length in other threads so let's try our best not to let this devolve into the typical pointless round in circles debate that tends to happen.

There are two main schools of thought on this matter.

One is that although the idea of evolution is fine, men did not evolve from apes and science has got something wrong here.

The other is that men did indeed evolve from apes and Adam and Eve (peace be upon them) were spiritually transported into two evolved beings rather than physically transported.

And I very recently heard of a new theory (which I was meaning to start a new topic on) that one Islamic scholar made the suggestion that God in the Quran differentiates between bashr and insan saying that the evolution that happened from ape was to one of them (can't remember which one) while the Adam and Eve (peace be upon them) were a new species (the other). It's an interesting idea. I've been meaning to borrow a book off of a friend of mine about it.

Anyway, regardless of which one of those three is right, I personally don't think about it too much as we may never know the answer for sure and, at the end of the day, it doesn't change how I'm supposed to live my life from day-to-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

Humans were not evolved from anything, but the Quran and science claim that animals were sent down to earth from space, and then developed into many forms.
    And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills. (Quran, 42:29)
    "He has scattered through them"
    shows that Allah Almighty created the Galaxies, Planets and Stars, and then spread in them His Creation.

More verses
    He created you (all) from a single person: then created, of like nature, his mate; and he sent down for you eight head of cattle in pairs: He makes you, in the wombs of your mothers, in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness. such is God, your Lord and Cherisher: to Him belongs (all) dominion. There is no god but He: then how are ye turned away (from your true Centre)? (Quran39:6)

This Verse is referencing the next Verse.
    Eight (head of cattle) in (four) pairs: of sheep a pair, and of goats a pair; say, hath He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? Tell me with knowledge if ye are truthful: Of camels a pair, and oxen a pair; say, hath He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? - Were ye present when God ordered you such a thing? But who doth more wrong than one who invents a lie against God, to lead astray men without knowledge? For God guideth not people who do wrong. (Quran 6:143)

The name of this chapter is Al-An'am mean The Cattle which talks about the animals created for us.

More verses (showing Man was created not evolved)
    From the (earth) did We Create you, and into it Shall We return you, And from it shall We Bring you out once again. (Quran 20:55)
    Behold! thy Lord said To the angels: 'I am about To create man, from sounding clay From mud moulded into shape; 'When I have fashioned him (In due proportion) and breathed Into him of My spirit, Fall ye down in obeisance Unto him. (Quran 15:28-29)

Links
    Scientific proof that confirm that animals were indeed sent down from space
    Fossil Records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Truther wrote:
    Humans were not evolved from anything, but the Quran and science claim that animals were sent down to earth from space, and then developed into many forms.
    Well, I'm not saying that's right or wrong necessarily but I just wanted to point out that the verse doesn't literally say that they were sent down from space. They may have (I have no idea) but the verse simply says that He put animals on Earth and that may have been in any number of ways. Indeed, even in the English translation used has the word "scattered" which doesn't necessarily mean that they were sent down from space.

Only God knows for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

the_new_mr wrote:
    Well, I'm not saying that's right or wrong necessarily but I just wanted to point out that the verse doesn't literally say that they were sent down from space. They may have (I have no idea) but the verse simply says that He put animals on Earth and that may have been in any number of ways. Indeed, even in the English translation used has the word "scattered" which doesn't necessarily mean that they were sent down from space.

Only God knows for sure.

Ohrite, I was reading this off a website, in hoping to answer his question, so im not totally sure myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement