Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pc arrived

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

First of all I apologise if the questions are very basic

My new pc from Komplett arrived - I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, but I did get a few bits and pieces which I'm not sure what they are for.

1 I presume the "abit" cables are just spare?
    2 I wouldnt mind identifying the 3 cables and what they are for
    3 Any idea what the part beside the pen is?
    4 The other two parts just look like spare bits and pieces

I also got 3 discs (Samsung Writer DVD, XFX driver CD and Abit Driver disc), as well as the Windows Vista disc. I presume all of these are already pre-loaded?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

i got the same board I think so here are some answers

1 , yes they are just spare cables , hold on to em in case you put in an extra drive some day.

2 : the two top ones look like SLI power cables and some sata connectors , you must have an SLI board ?, these cables come with some power supplies to directly feed Aux power to graphics cards for SLI.

The bottom one is an S video cable , there must be a TV out connection on your graphics card .

3: That is an SLI bridge unit ( I think ) , you connect it if to your board if you use the SLI feature.

And yes , if your PC came with the OS installed all the drivers will have been pre-installed , put the discs somewhere safe , you'll be looking for them someday !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

Hey there hope this helps you

The first picture - top cable is a floppy drive cable, spare if you dont have one
    the bottom cable to a cable for IDE drives, looks like the CD-Rom is sata, this is also spare unless you have an old IDE hard drive or CD drive you want to use.

The second picture - Top cables are power cables for graphics cards, specifically used for high end graphics which need dedicated power and when set up in SLI.
    The next set of cables are power cables for SATA and IDE drives
    the bottom cable to an SVGA cable. can be used to connect to your TV if its near enough.
    Considering this is a fully built PC you wont need these cables unless you start adding in stuff, eg extra hard disks, graphics cards etc

The 3rd picture - i dont know, it doesnt look like a SLI bridge, it looks to have the 5V rail on the right hand side, haven't seen a bridge to take voltage, then dont know the ABIT stuff, so someone might be able to shed some light on this for you

The 4th Pic - this is a spare back plate for the PC, just keep it just in case

The 5th Pic - this is a DVI-VGA adapter. Your graphics cards will prob have a DVI output, unless you're monitor has a DVI input you'll need this, dont loose it. You'll find out when you try and connect the monitor to the PC, the VGA adapters are normally blue ended cable, if this is so you'll need this adapter, If the monior cable is white (I think) thats the DVI cable, you wont need the adapter but hold onto it

The software is pre-installed, hold onto these disks for a re-install, You'll need the serial from vista plus the disk, and those driver disks for the graphics and motherboard, it will make things easier than searching the internet for them

Hope this helps, someone might shed some light on the 3rd pic, Best of luck with the new computer and hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The item besides the pen is a SATA - PATA IDE bridge for converting one type HD interface into the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

8T8 wrote:
    The item besides the pen is a SATA - PATA IDE bridge for converting one type HD interface into the other.
    I would have thought it was for connecting a 2.5" IDE drive to SATA???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You cant see it because it's facing down but the solder points along the edge are the 40 IDE pins and you just make out the standard black IDE connection facing down on the other side.

The connection on the left hand side looks SATA to me and the 4-pin power on the right so I would strongly suspect it is a SATA/PATA converter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers guys - thanks for the help

Hopefully I'll get it hooked up at the weekend. I must say when I opened the box the pc came in I got weak in the knees thinking I had to assemble the lot myself

I'm sure I'll be back to you if things dont go well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

TheBazman wrote:
    Cheers guys - thanks for the help

"Hopefully I'll get it hooked up at the weekend. I must say when I opened the box the pc came in I got weak in the knees thinking I had to assemble the lot myself "

lol, i go weak at the knees coz of the smell of the new components.
    hehe me thinks i need get out more.

Advertisement