Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydsl???

Options
  • 24-05-2007 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I've ordered SKYDSL (Unlimited) @ 29.80 a month and I have few questions if anyone can help, thanks:

1. Is it worth having, I have a crap dial up connection from Eircom at the moment??

2. How exactly those the system work???

3. I'll still have to use the dial up connection to connect to the internet, yes and I'll be charged by eircom for the dial up at per minute rate as I 'am been charged at the moment, yes??

4. When you have started a download do you still need to be connected to the internet or just to skydsl???

5. Is it really that hard to set up the dish??? I have seen a few people here say they had alot of problems setting it up.

6. I have a PC and Laptop is it possible to set up SKYDSL on both??

Appreciate the help guys, thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's easy to setup a dish when experienced and hard the 1st time.

You still have to use the phone line.

If you cancel the phone line and so called "flat-rate" (which isn't) internet dialup package, then "2 way satellite" at 99 Euro a month gives a better quality and possibly cheaper deal.

The satellite (Sky DSL or 2 way) is no good for gaming. The 2 way is not great for VOIP due to delay, but I guess you have a mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've ordered SKYDSL (Unlimited) @ 29.80 a month and I have few questions if anyone can help, thanks:

1. Is it worth having, I have a crap dial up connection from Eircom at the moment??

Its up to you! It is a download accelerator. It will make viewing Youtube possible and viewing the web/downloading better but it won't let you game or use VOIP or anything like that. Only big sites really benefit from it, you won't really notice the speed increase on smaller sites (small size wise as in not image heavy).
    2. How exactly those the system work???

56K is used to send information about websites you want to use and for uploads. Satellite transmits the data to you. You can recieve files offline, recieve *some specific websites offline (*they have a limited list you can select from). You can view tv on your computer if you are pointing at a satellite that also transmits tv.
    3. I'll still have to use the dial up connection to connect to the internet, yes and I'll be charged by eircom for the dial up at per minute rate as I 'am been charged at the moment, yes??

yes
    4. When you have started a download do you still need to be connected to the internet or just to skydsl???

Depends. You have an offline download option that you can use. It takes longer as it gets queued. For smaller stuff, you'll just say screw it and still use the dial up. For large files, its better to use the offline service or Sky RFD.
    5. Is it really that hard to set up the dish??? I have seen a few people here say they had alot of problems setting it up.

There's a nack to it. Buy a Satellite finder of ebay or somewhere for about 15-20 Euro and it'll make it a lot easier. The software that comes with it is very good but the process will be stressful first time you do it because you'll be wondering are you doing it right and why the hell aren't you getting a signal.
    6. I have a PC and Laptop is it possible to set up SKYDSL on both??

You can network it. Not entirely sure how it works though. If you got the USB connector, you can just plug it out of the computer and into the laptop, assuming you have installed the software on both properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GNR1992/2006

Thanks for the info.

Anybody any idea how much it would cost to get a professional to install the dish???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think if you contact the people that install Sky dishes they'll do it for you but I'm not sure on the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's up to €200 for a dish install. You might find someone nearby a lot cheaper. People that have ONLY installed Sky TV may not have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Thanks for the info.

Anybody any idea how much it would cost to get a professional to install the dish???

Give it a shot yourself before you spend money on a "Pro".

Be patient, move the dish into the rough direction of the satellite, tighten the azimuth and elevation bolts a small bit, then slowly move the dish in steps(very small), waiting a few seconds between each to allow the software process any signal.

Set the LNB rotation exactly to what your desired satallite requires before you drag the dish on the roof, and that goes for the elevation too, but this may not be an exact degree depending on if your wall / bracket is perfectly level or not.

Where you live btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GNR1992/2006

Yeah, I think I'll give it a go myself first.

I live about six miles outside a town called New Ross in Co. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

GNR1992/2006, I recently got skyDSL myself and posted a thread here looking for help so have a look at it as you may run into the same problems I did;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055083264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

watty wrote:
    People that have ONLY installed Sky TV may not have a clue.

I can second that. I had one such guy out to try and align my dish for skydsl. The thick fcuker hardly knew which way was up. Thought to charge me for his pisspoor efforts too!

Advertisement