Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid C4 Driver

Options
  • 24-05-2007 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭

This is floating around via email this morning but don't know how valid the story is:
    > >A woman rented a Citroen C4 in Budapest.
    > >
    > >She drove from Budapest to Pécs.
    > >
    > >Approximately 220km.
    > >
    > >In 1st gear.
    > >
    > >She thought it was automatic.
    > >
    > >Attached are the insurance photos of the engine and the bonnet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I would say there was an engine fire alright , but id say the story about driving in 1st gear is just for comical value.

Im sure she is not that stupid.
    Im sure she would have to notice the clutch to even drive in 1st gear
    She would only be able to drive at max 30mph

So definitely a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it could be safely said that that engine has somewhat overheated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I saw an elderly lady coming through Ballsbridge this morning in a VW Polo at about 25mph and by the sounds of things she was in first.

But I'd imagine that a modern car would be able to shut itself off before it would go on fire. Even the rev limiter would catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think it did go on fire (as in flames coming out) ...all the plastic simply melted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

C_Breeze wrote:
    Im sure she is not that stupid.

...oh, I dunno......and you don't have to go to Eastern Europe to see that. Many years ago, I was working in a petrol station in Oranmore (pre-ring road, that long ago..........:eek: ), and one eve a guy pulls into the station with an overheating Micra.

Cause - yank drove rented car all the way from Shannon.......in 2nd. :eek: Car probably didn't have any plastic to melt in those days............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

peasant wrote:
    I don't think it did go on fire (as in flames coming out) ...all the plastic simply melted

I dunno, that gaping hole in the bonnet has all the makings of a fire

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine fire. Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I was coming through blanchardstown village during the week from the shoping center approx 1Mile away, I could see puffs of smoke coming from the village I presumed it was a building on fire, As I got closer I could hear the sound of a loud engine I thought it was a fireengine revving at the scene. As I got closer It was a new-ish renault Taxi Van sitting at the road with crouds of people watching it from a distance as it sat there reving at full RPM with nobody in the car. The smoke was unbelievable considering I could see it from a mile away and the noise was something else.

I don't know if the engine died but there was a fair amount of smoke coming from the bonnet but it eventually cut out puffing a bit of smoke. I have to say it was quite a nerve recking experience walking by that not knowing what exactly was going on. I know the pub right beside the van had nobody in the front section whether people had been moved out of it incase something happened?

Underneath the exhaust after it died.
    dsc00473dd6.th.jpg

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Prob one of those cases where diesel engines start to run on uncontrollably using engine oil as fuel...until they go bang. Think it's happened on Laguna's before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

A guy on a motoring forum told a story about a Honda (not sure which model, probably Civic) that was stolen around his way (somewhere in Belfast). The scumabags drove it to some waste ground and parked with the engine running and a brick on the accelerator and waited for the engine to blow.

About thirty five minutes later it ran out of petrol. :D

What's more, owner showed up at the police recovery ward with petrol, checked it over and was able to drive it away.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote:
    Prob one of those cases where diesel engines start to run on uncontrollably using engine oil as fuel...until they go bang. Think it's happened on Laguna's before.

Quite possible as that van would have a renault DCI engine. It sure did smell like alot of oil was burning. Could be right..

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes a lot of the old Toyota Hiaces would do that. These would be very high mileage engines where the bores would wear and the back pressure would force engine oil fumes up into the crankcase breath and into the air intake where it would be ingested and burned.

This would get worse until it ran on nothing but engine oil and eventually when the oil ran out.......................the crank would seize and either lock up the engine or throw a crank rod out through the block.

In theory it could happen to any diesel but that car looks very modern I would be surpriused if the motor was that worn !

Maybe the throttle just stuck wide open, or even seals on the turbo let oil into the intake !

While I was observing I overheard someone speaking to the owner of the van asking " was the turbo that went did you say " .. Possible as mercMad suggested the seals?

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

HungryJoey wrote:
    I was coming through blanchardstown village during the week from the shoping center approx 1Mile away, I could see puffs of smoke coming from the village I presumed it was a building on fire, As I got closer I could hear the sound of a loud engine I thought it was a fireengine revving at the scene. As I got closer It was a new-ish renault Taxi Van sitting at the road with crouds of people watching it from a distance as it sat there reving at full RPM with nobody in the car. The smoke was unbelievable considering I could see it from a mile away and the noise was something else.

I don't know if the engine died but there was a fair amount of smoke coming from the bonnet but it eventually cut out puffing a bit of smoke. I have to say it was quite a nerve recking experience walking by that not knowing what exactly was going on. I know the pub right beside the van had nobody in the front section whether people had been moved out of it incase something happened?

Underneath the exhaust after it died.
    dsc00473dd6.th.jpg

Hj

I saw the exact same thing happen to a relativly new VelSatis last year on the hard shoulder up near drogheda .. very scary sight and sound !!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Solved, close thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

blastman wrote:
    A guy on a motoring forum told a story about a Honda (not sure which model, probably Civic) that was stolen around his way (somewhere in Belfast). The scumabags drove it to some waste ground and parked with the engine running and a brick on the accelerator and waited for the engine to blow.

About thirty five minutes later it ran out of petrol. :D

What's more, owner showed up at the police recovery ward with petrol, checked it over and was able to drive it away.

If there was ever a case to prove how reliable honda engines are, this would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

hondas,

if honda made people, we would be immortal........;)

i bought a 97 accord for my mate who knows sfa about cars, he just puts in petrol and some oil top ups every year and still going like a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

galwaytt wrote:
    I was working in a petrol station in Oranmore (pre-ring road, that long ago..........:eek: ),

Long ago to say the least:D I'd say it was kearneys texaco?

Advertisement