Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a refund via paypal

Options
  • 24-05-2007 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to rent a house in vanocuver,
    they want the security deposit payed in advance via paypal,
    is this safe?
    How easy would it be to get a refund in a months time if the shaft us and the place doesnt exist or something?
    thankz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Passport wrote:
    Hi, I am looking to rent a house in vanocuver,
    they want the security deposit payed in advance via paypal,
    is this safe?
    How easy would it be to get a refund in a months time if the shaft us and the place doesnt exist or something?
    thankz
    I don't know, alarm bells would be ringing for me on this one. I'm pretty sure that the seller will have to pay PayPal fees to collect this deposit from you. If you were renting a house would do it in such a way that you had to pay a few % on the deposit you received? Why have they not provided you a bank account number you can wire the money to?

>How easy would it be to get a refund in a months time
    A refund on what - all PayPal will see is that you sent money to an email address. Assuming there is no ebay auction you can link the transaction to I don't know what PayPal will do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

is it not possible to demand your money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Passport wrote:
    I don't think so.
    paypal.com wrote:
    PayPal (Europe) Ltd's Buyer Complaint Policy only applies to tangible, physical goods which can be sent in the post, and excludes everything else, including but not limited to: intangibles, services, quasi-cash and all non-tangible, non-physical goods.

You got to ask yourself - why do they want to do this through PayPal and not a bank?

Yeah it is through a big rental site in canada, where there are lots of private listings and the site reccommends the use of paypal for security.
    The deposit is 1/4 of a montsh rent so it is not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes paypal provide security. I think you have 90 days. Check the FAQ on the paypal site, it says it all in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Passport wrote:

Yes you can demand it back but not get it back.

Can anyone answer this question.
    Is it possible for me to request a full refund if it turns out to be a scam and be gauranteed teh money back?
    even if the person i sent money too wants to keep it?
    Is there a time limit inovled? and what is the time limit?
    Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Should all be covered in Paypal's T&Cs.
    www.paypal.com

Minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Is paypal the only means of paying that the company offered you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wrong Forum for serious answers OP.

It all depends on the situation, but a lot of the time - PayPal will refund you. But, check their FAQ first for reasons etc. You are allowed request a refund but there is probably conditions etc attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH to here. I'm aware that it could fit in several places, but I think the OP will get a better informed answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Why don't you contact Paypal directly if you check the FAQ I think they have a contact phone number.

If you logon and click on "send Money" type the e-mail address, amount and select "Service/Other" click on "Continue", on the next page next to the e-mail address you will see a number, that's the number of times that the user received money. If the number is zero or very low could be a bit worried. If the number is high it might be ok.

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've had to get refunds through Paypal a couple of times. For the first time they told me the seller had no funds in their account so they couldn't refund. The second time the seller had 33% of what I paid in their account so I got that back with a helpful email from Paypal saying that if the seller put more money in, they'd refund me. Lovely.

For both times the funds had come from my credit card -> Paypal -> the seller so I contacted my bank and got the money back from the bank with no hassle. I've a couple of friends with similar experiences.

Sully wrote:
    Wrong Forum for serious answers OP.

Which forum is the correct forum for serious answers?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Which forum is the correct forum for serious answers?
    In an ideal world, this one, or most of the others, just not AH

I've had to get refunds through Paypal a couple of times. For the first time they told me the seller had no funds in their account so they couldn't refund. The second time the seller had 33% of what I paid in their account so I got that back with a helpful email from Paypal saying that if the seller put more money in, they'd refund me. Lovely.

For both times the funds had come from my credit card -> Paypal -> the seller so I contacted my bank and got the money back from the bank with no hassle. I've a couple of friends with similar experiences.

How did you contact your bank?
    Just go in and say canel this transaction?
    is there a number you can ring?

I just rang the internet banking number and explained the situation. They gave me their credit card bureau number.

When you ring them they want the explanation in writing. They investigate on their end then and refund if they find in your favour. They normally do, unless your trying it on. It takes a couple of weeks. I've done it about 4 times (not just for Paypal) over 10 years with 2 different banks. No hassle at all.

Advertisement