Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text Message from Election Candidate

Options
  • 24-05-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

One of the girls here in work is after getting a text from a local election candidate ... It says something like "Hello fellow constituent, I could really do with your support and your vote today .... <politicians name here>"

Are they allowed do that??!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Report it, just in case. It's probably bending the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Got an email from Olivia Mitchell grovelling for my 1st preference. I'm afraid they didn't do a good enough job with photoshop on your posters Olivia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

DadaKopf wrote:
    Report it, just in case. It's probably bending the rules.

Report it where?, I got one too for Molly Buckley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If she never gave the candidate her number then it is illegal. If however she's a party member, or entered a competition from a leaflet and gave her number to the candidate or his party in anyway then it is her responsibility.

So many people give out their numbers too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Report it where?, I got one too for Molly Buckley

Yeah it was Molly Buckley she got it from too.... some wan in Offaly ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I just made a complaint here:-

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Complaint_to_the_Data_Protection_Commissioner_Online_Form/249.htm

Fcuk them!!!
    Next time they'll be hassling us with phone calls.
    Enough's enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Thanks for the link Boozybabe, I've just made a complaint too. Have received one from Noel Dempsey and one from Molly Buckley. No idea how either obtained my number - am in Meath East, understand Molly Buckley is Laois/Offaly......bizarre (also want ND strung up, not re-elected!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I just made a complaint here:-

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Complaint_to_the_Data_Protection_Commissioner_Online_Form/249.htm

Fcuk them!!!
    Next time they'll be hassling us with phone calls.
    Enough's enough!!
    I got a phonecall from one of Leo Varadkar's 'people' about a week ago. Dunno how they got my number. Don't think I'm in the book. Anyway, it annoyed me tbh but I want FF out so much that I'll still give him a first preference. Dublin West is such a boring constituency. When do we get our fourth seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Got one from Molly Buckley too this morning.

I rang the number on this page:

http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Molly_Buckley

I spoke to a gentleman who informed me that they sent out a text message this morning but some people who shouldn't have got the message did, I wasn't the first person to call regarding it. He gave some excuse about a "glitch in the database" and apologised for the text however he couldn't tell me how the message was sent to my telephone number.

Told him I was making a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner as I was concerned with how they got a hold of my number.

If you got the text, make sure to give that number a call (057 9341357) and let Molly know how annoyed you are at receiving her text. Email the DPC also with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've just lodged the complaint to the Data Protection Officer too... I didn't recieve it but two people here have now got it! It's ridiculous .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Glitch in the database" doesn't explain how they ended up with your number in the first place. Would certainly be very interesting to find out where they got it from.

Tbh, I'm a little peeved at getting so much flyer crap addressed to me from politicians despite opting out of the edited register.

The funny thing is that I'm not in Molly Buckley constituency so I couldn't even give her my No.1 even if I was swayed by her unsolicited text message...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Stark wrote:
    "Glitch in the database" doesn't explain how they ended up with your number in the first place. Would certainly be very interesting to find out where they got it from.

Tbh, I'm a little peeved at getting so much flyer crap addressed to me from politicians despite opting out of the edited register.

The edited register applies only to direct marketing by companies.

The register is after all a register of electors and if you're on the register you will be contacted by politicians - they get the complete register not the edited one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Just got this reply in my email:-
    Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
    Ireland

Electronic Message

Relating To : 2/21/1 - Standard enquiry - Ms XXXXXXXXXXX

To : XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    cc :
    bcc:

Brief Description : canvassing text
    Comments :

Dear Ms XXXXX

I refer to your email concerning an unsolicited text message sent to you by
    Molly Buckley.

While the Data Protection Acts contain provisions to protect individuals
    from receiving unsolicited direct marketing communications including text
    messages, these provisions do not apply to direct mailing or texting
    carried out in the course of political activities by a political party or
    its members, or by a candidate for election to, or a holder of, elective
    political office. In addition, the electoral register may be used for
    sending addressed mail for political purposes. Accordingly, the sending of
    material such as that which you have received from Mr. Dempsey does not
    constitute a breach of the data protection legislation.

Yours sincerely

It's a disgrace that they're allowed to do this type of sh!t, while no one else is.

I know I'd rather get a 'SPECIAL OFFER' unsolicited text than some twat of a politician trying to get my vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Lets try and get hold of their mobile numbers and spam them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

kmick wrote:
    Lets try and get hold of their mobile numbers and spam them.

yes. because THAT makes sense.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Further to boozybabes message to the data protection crowd, a mate of mine got the same thing, and i suggested asking 'how the frig did molly buckley get my number'...so my mate did this and here's the response she got...

Original Message
    Sent: 24 May 2007 16:07
    To: Joe Bloggs
    Subject: Standard enquiry Mr Joe Bloggs

Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
    Ireland

Electronic Message

Relating To : 2/21/1 - Standard enquiry - Mr Joe Bloggs

To : JOE@JOEBLOGGS.COM
    cc :
    bcc:

Brief Description : Complaint
    Comments :

Dear Mr Bloggs

Under the Data Protection Act you would normally be able to ask where they
    got your mobile no from & the Data Controller would have to supply you with
    the information. In circumstances where a politician uses your mobile no,
    you can ask them here they got it, but there is no obligation on them under
    the act to provide you with it. As they have an exemptions under the act,
    we can only work within these regulations. I hope this answers your
    question.

Yours sincerely,
    XYZ

24/05/2007

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Without wanting to break the law or owt, does anybody have any suggestions as to what one could do with the telephone number of a person who sends these texts; i'm gonna assume that a politician isn't going to use software to send the spams, rather it was a bulk buy of a load of texts and probably sent over t'internet.

i'm thinking subscription services that i could sign somebody up for that at least would be somewhat annoying...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well more and more people are listing mobiles as the only number but I've been getting the occasional call in an to be unnamed directories enquiries company where you only get a mobile number for someone if you provide full name and address(and via electoral register politicians would have em). But people have been asking me about a candidate calling them and howd he get my number? but most peoples mobile numbers simply aren't listed ( cos they havn't entered them themselves) and somehow the politicians have gotten them anyway.

I'd look at canvasser you may know?

in the normal course of events, i'd believe that; but the candidates in question seem to be 'carpet bombing', even outside their constituencies, so i reckon it's just work experience kids plugging random numbers into phones...

is it? Seems a ridiculous waste of money, as you've only a One in <how many constituencies are there> shot of hitting a potential voter?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

my sister in law got a text last week from a ff candidate in co.limerick....and her daughter also got one...her daughter is 13 !!

then this morning at 8am my sil got a phone call from the same politician ..she didn't answer it, but presumes it was again looking for support...

if anything it has put her off giving him her no.1 just for being so pushy and annoying!

• Advertisement

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfcwausnql/
    The Data Protection Commissioner said it received complaints from consumers who received canvass texts on their mobile phone from candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Election 2007: Watchdog probes text canvassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Christ would ye relax? A text. How long does it take to read it? Personally I'd rather all politicians sent me a text then the paper through my letterbox. The first casualty of democracy is trees.

I don't understand the outrage of being contacted by text. If you don't want to be contactable then move into a cave here www.CavesToLetOnAranIsland.com. Is it just texts that bug you people or do you call the guards or neighourhood watch when a canvasser calls to your door?

Fact of the matter is that it is a tight election and it is hard for candidates to make contact with the electorate. You got texted. Big swing of mickey. Get over it. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Gumbyman wrote:
    Christ would ye relax? A text. How long does it take to read it? Personally I'd rather all politicians sent me a text then the paper through my letterbox. The first casualty of democracy is trees.

I don't understand the outrage of being contacted by text. If you don't want to be contactable then move into a cave here www.CavesToLetOnAranIsland.com. Is it just texts that bug you people or do you call the guards or neighourhood watch when a canvasser calls to your door?

Fact of the matter is that it is a tight election and it is hard for candidates to make contact with the electorate. You got texted. Big swing of mickey. Get over it. Christ.

I disagree 100%. Unsolicited texts are a nuisance - and they are dead right to chase this up with the Data Protection commissioner - especially since we don't know where they are getting the mobile numbers from.

The number probably came from somebody who gave it to the politician. A friend/relative who volunteered it.

How hard is it to text back and say "Stop sending me text messages"? I imagine it is easier to do that and be civil than to contact the jaysus DPA authorities. If your neighbours had a party in the middle of the night would you call over and ask them to keep it down for the child sleeping or would you call the cops straight away? There are better things to get worked up over.

Gumbyman wrote:
    The number probably came from somebody who gave it to the politician. A friend/relative who volunteered it.

How hard is it to text back and say "Stop sending me text messages"? I imagine it is easier to do that and be civil than to contact the jaysus DPA authorities. If your neighbours had a party in the middle of the night would you call over and ask them to keep it down for the child sleeping or would you call the cops straight away? There are better things to get worked up over.

You're not Molly Buckley, are you?

lol She wishes!! I don't even know who Molly Buckley is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tom Parlon was also texting yesterday. Also a Laois/Offaly runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Gumbyman wrote:

Why the hell should someone have to? They shouldn't be contacting people who didn't give them permission to. Its a common courtesy most people pay each other. I know I don't go ringing or texting random people. If I got one of those, I'd be incredibly pissed off about it.

Replying stop probably won't do anything anyway as it probably runs off a server somewhere (an eircom server I reckon for some favours after the election *national broadband scheme). Is it only FF/PD candidates so far that have been at this nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Got 2 from James (caught drunk driving wrong way on dual carriage way) McDaid.
    Put me of voting for him completely as I know he got my name and number from a previous employer.
    Can I report employer?

Advertisement