Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text Message from Election Candidate

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Report your employer here! At least somebody will listen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

brim4brim wrote:
    If I got one of those, I'd be incredibly pissed off about it.

Incredibly pissed off? Jesus man there are people walking 5 miles for water in some parts of the World and getting hacked up with machetes in others. I would say that these people are incredibly pissed off. If getting a text on your phone makes you incredibly pissed off then there's another problem somewhere.

As regards your favour for favour suggestion re the Eircom server - laughable.

Look, getting a text is no different from getting a letter from a candidate in the post apart from environmental benefits. It is the age of technology. The Data Protection Act is there to protect people. They have stated that it is not an issue. Everything else here (including my own 2 cents) is a matter of opinion and relativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Gumbyman wrote:
    Incredibly pissed off? Jesus man there are people walking 5 miles for water in some parts of the World and getting hacked up with machetes in others. I would say that these people are incredibly pissed off. If getting a text on your phone makes you incredibly pissed off then there's another problem somewhere.

Look, getting a text is no different from getting a letter from a candidate in the post apart from environmental benefits. It is the age of technology. The Data Protection Act is there to protect people. They have stated that it is not an issue. Everything else here (including my own 2 cents) is a matter of opinion and relativity.

so were you were sending them ? were ya? Its disgrace the constituency workers would betray the confidence of their friends to text on propaganda for their candidates, come own up someone here must have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

lol yeah but don't tell anybody. That's just between the two of us....

Cheers,
    Molly, I mean, Gumby.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Gumbyman wrote:

Okay - leaving aside the hyperbole of how pissed off people are, and your point about machetes is well made - the fact is that a condition of being on the electoral register is that you get bumph in the post from candidates in elections. You've put your name on a govt database; the upside is you get to vote, the downside - you get bumph in the post.

A mobile phone number is different. Very different. There's a responsibility on the part of a person who has the phone number of another party not to give it out willy nilly. I mean, if - instead of walking up to a girl in a bar to ask her if she, um, 'came here often', I approached one of her friends to get her phone number or got it by some other nefarious means, then it's not exactly cricket is it.

What's to stop me continually harassing her long after she tells me to piss off that i'm not her type?

D'you see what i'm getting at here. The fact is that neither Molly Buckley, Jim McDaid or any of the others have the consent of the users here to send them unsolicited texts. And while there is a *level* of accountability in terms of sending election bumph in the post (it surely to jesus costs *somebody* 48 c a pop to deliver) there's none with texting.

Can we be sure, for instance, that all these politicians will guarantee that numbers they used in their canvassing will not be used ever again. Or passed on to some other dickhead in party headquarters?

There IS a serious point to this, and to dismiss it as 'FFS get over it' is jsut a bit much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

brim4brim wrote:
    Why the hell should someone have to? They shouldn't be contacting people who didn't give them permission to. Its a common courtesy most people pay each other. I know I don't go ringing or texting random people. If I got one of those, I'd be incredibly pissed off about it.

Replying stop probably won't do anything anyway as it probably runs off a server somewhere (an eircom server I reckon for some favours after the election *national broadband scheme). Is it only FF/PD candidates so far that have been at this nonsense?

Replying stop won't do anything - that normally only applies to subscription based services that you pay for (e.g. ringtones).

From my dealings with dataprotection in the past I find them to be a toothless shower of wasters. Even if pols were bending the rules they wouldn't do anything about it. I really need to look at their guidelines to find out how politicians are exempt...got to go now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Gumbyman wrote:

No they don't have my permission to use my phone number. The other things pissing me off were all caused by the current government. I can list them for you if your really interested.

Getting one txt wouldn't be that bad but if they are let away with it, next election, your inbox will just be stuffed from spam from these corrupt fools. It is compltely unreasonable that anyone would say let it go when they are breaching your rights by doing this (they can say what they like in law but people should have the right not to be harassed by politicians which is what this is. If someone you didn't know started txting you, you'd be pissed about it if they kept it up).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

• I didn't provide my private mobile telephone number to Molly Buckley (FG btw)
    • I didn't give Molly Buckley permission to send a begging text to me.
    • Molly Buckley acquired my private mobile phone number somehow.
    • Molly Buckley sent me a text from 087 2914302 asking for my No.1 vote even though she's not in my constituency.
    • There is no answer from 087 2914302 and the voicemail is full so how can I ask to have the texts stopped?
    • The person who answered Molly Buckley's landline phone couldn't explain how they got a hold of my number.

Pardon me for being pissed off at the above situation. However, I'll make no apologies for valuing my privacy and as far as I am concerned Molly Buckley ignored my privacy by somehow acquiring my private mobile number which was not explicitly provided to her.

I'd like to know where she got my number so that I can ensure that I am removed from that list seeing as the DPC rules don't apply during an election (wtf?) and seeing as nobody from the Molly Buckley camp can provide me with any explanation.

Gumbyman, perhaps you could assist me in having my mobile number removed from whatever list Molly has? You naively seem to think that sending a text with "Stop sending me text messages" is going to resolve the problem... Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tom Parlons texts simply came from "Parlon No1". No actual number was available from the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

viking wrote:
    • I didn't provide my private mobile telephone number to Molly Buckley (FG btw)
    • I didn't give Molly Buckley permission to send a begging text to me.
    • Molly Buckley acquired my private mobile phone number somehow.
    • Molly Buckley sent me a text from 087 2914302 asking for my No.1 vote even though she's not in my constituency.
    • There is no answer from 087 2914302 and the voicemail is full so how can I ask to have the texts stopped?
    • The person who answered Molly Buckley's landline phone couldn't explain how they got a hold of my number.

Pardon me for being pissed off at the above situation. However, I'll make no apologies for valuing my privacy and as far as I am concerned Molly Buckley ignored my privacy by somehow acquiring my private mobile number which was not explicitly provided to her.

I'd like to know where she got my number so that I can ensure that I am removed from that list seeing as the DPC rules don't apply during an election (wtf?) and seeing as nobody from the Molly Buckley camp can provide me with any explanation.

Gumbyman, perhaps you could assist me in having my mobile number removed from whatever list Molly has? You naively seem to think that sending a text with "Stop sending me text messages" is going to resolve the problem... Any other suggestions?

you could always scrawl "for a good time call 087 2914302" on the wall of your local public toilets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Heh, unfortunately the frustrated saddo's ringing that number for a good time would be even more frustrated as no-one would answer!

Good suggestion though...

Advertisement