Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do the partys stand on abortion

Options
  • 24-05-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

i heard Enda Kenny say that fine geal will never put forward a reforendom on abortion.
    so does anyone know where the other parties stand on abortion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Labour want to legislate on the X case - ie. provide a law by which abortions can be carried out if the mother's life is in danger. As recommended by the courts 15 years ago.

Don't think any of the others are talking of doing anything but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

They don't.
    You'd have a hard time getting a party to give a definite answer on the abortion issue because it's so divisive - most will say it's a very sensitive issue and not one that should be used for political purposes, should be discussed, blah blah blah.

Basically no party would have a referendum on abortion unless their hand was completely forced and even that hasn't encouraged parties in the past (The X Case, as Andrew highlights, led to a need for legislation on the issue - the Government never enacted that and so we have a black-hole where mothers have a right to an abortion where their life is in danger, but they can't do it on Irish soil, as far as I'm aware). The only people who can make an impact on abortion legislation are the judges - the politicians are happy for them to make the hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Can you blame them? It's the ultimate political suicide to be a politician with an openly pro-choice agenda. You might as well not bother running if you have that on your manifesto.
    I'm not saying that situation is right, but it is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'd like to see Labour push for a referendum on this matter in the next Dáil.
    The options should be there. In a country where we're trying to reduce the incidence of suicide and depression among young adults a society without choices and options is not the best way to go. I'm sure any elected FRR candidates would also be willing to lend support for such a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

peeps78 wrote:
    where do the partys stand on abortion
    They don't stand. They crawl, slither, duck, dive, dodge, weave, avoid, evade and cower. These people want to be our leaders after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

upmeath wrote:
    I'd like to see Labour push for a referendum on this matter in the next Dáil.
    They won't. Enda Kenny has given his word. And his word is his bond. He put his name to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

They won't. Enda Kenny has given his word. And his word is his bond. He put his name to it.

I don't think it's an issue of Enda - I just don't see the political scene at large as having the balls to put this out there any time soon. Labour would probably be the most likely but even if they did they'd water it down I'd bet.

Unfortunately the outgoing Government had the chance but gave the people of Ireland a limited choice - stricter law or more of the same. They then failed to legislate on the issue after a defeat.

If only some party would have the balls to put forward a referendum with multiple options, including the legalisation of abortion. They wouldn't have to say they supported it, just make the point that in a democratic society the people should not be prohibited from making their own decision by parties who are too uncomfortable with sensitive issues of any persuasion.

Only after such an occasion, whatever the outcome, would I agree with Mary Harney's point that abortion is now off the agenda for a number of years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm curious of Sinn Féin's policy in relation to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Jakkass wrote:
    I'm curious of Sinn Féin's policy in relation to this.
    Back in the mid-80's, the party became the first in Ireland to adopt a completely pro-choice policy on foot of a motion at an ard-fheis. They were roundly attacked by FG ex-minister for justice, Paddy Cooney on the basis that their disregard for the right to life for the unborn was exactly what one might expect given their disregard for the right to life of the born! (They don't make FineGalers like that any more:rolleyes: ) Anyway, the policy proved unpopular with the older, rural wing of the party and was quietly dropped. I think the episode has been pretty much airbrushed out of the official record now.

Advertisement