Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Syrups

Options
  • 24-05-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

So... does anybody actually use those sweet coffee syrups? If so, what's your favourite?

Also, do you prefer a particular brand or is it all the same to you?

For me, the fastest way to spoil a good coffee is to put milk or sweet stuff in it.

What's your favourite coffee syrup? 11 votes

Almond
    0% 0 votes
    Amaretto
    9% 1 vote
    Caramel
    0% 0 votes
    Chocolate
    18% 2 votes
    Hazelnut
    27% 3 votes
    Marshmallow
    0% 0 votes
    Mint
    9% 1 vote
    Vanilla
    9% 1 vote
    Other
    27% 3 votes
    Can't stand the things
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've tried several brands and found 'Philibert Routin 1883 Syrups'
    the best. To be totally frank I'd never use them myself but used
    to keep a couple of bottles of various flavours in the kitchen for
    guests. I'd hate to ruin a decent coffee by disguising the true
    flavour - why bother getting decent freshly roasted beans
    only to mask the taste with synthetic flavours.

(I can kind of excuse myself if adding a shot of Baileys,whiskey,
    rum or such like but that's it for me regarding the occasional
    'novelty' additive).

I can understand people who are not big coffee fans liking them
    but they're not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you want coffee, don't add syrup.
    If you order a mocha though, go nuts. You've already added chocolate anyway.
    And a white chocolate mocha with caramel syrup is just pudding in a cup. (Add vanilla and it's even better). But it's not coffee.

Mind you, vanilla seems to be the exception to that rule. But given how it's made, how complex it's flavour is, and that it's usually used in cooking to simultaenously meld disparate flavours and enhance them, that's not hugely surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why bother getting decent freshly roasted beans
    only to mask the taste with synthetic flavours.
    There are some very good ones, not synthetic/artificial.
    shot of Baileys,
    Some whiskey drinkers would consider that an abomination, just like the OP thinks adding to coffee is.

I have no objection, people should drink what they like, BUT they should always be asked. It is not right when people have to specifically tell a "barista" not to put chocolate powder on a cappuccino, it is like having to tell a barman you do not want ice/lemon/lime in your vodka/whiskey/beer.
    For me, the fastest way to spoil a good coffee is to put milk or sweet stuff in it.
    and for others, the only way to make coffee palatable is to add milk or sweet stuff to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Not for me thanks, each to their own though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I like them sometimes, even though I'm normally a straight black drinker. It's hard to get nice ones though that don't taste too artificial.

I love espressos mixed with Baileys (equal amounts) or the like. Picked up the habit in Girona in Spain. Yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

dudara wrote:
    I love espressos mixed with Baileys (equal amounts) or the like. Picked up the habit in Girona in Spain. Yummy.

Same as that, I think I came across it in Barcelona.

Advertisement