Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you/have you spent on your setup?

Options
  • 24-05-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

This includes everything desks, chairs, games, PC parts, Monitors, speakers everything..

I made this thread cause I recently counted how much I had spent on all my stuff in the last month or so.. I couldnt believe I had spent over 3 grand on everything..! I just knew people on here had spent more so i said id ask!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

If i only spent 3grand id be delighted. I have 2servers running here, both with 2TB's of storage. one windows, one linux. the linux is used for off site backups for customers, I have 2 fully rigged out game PC's for demo's, 1 test rig, my main machine with twin monitors, an image server for storing images of the computers and customers computers, 2 laptops, various other bits and bobs, all in all about 10-12grand, always afraid to work it out exactly how much it cost to get where i am with the gear but its alot.
    All pc's are linked to my main 2 monitors with a KVM which makes it handy, sit in one spot, play a game on one computer, work on another

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

I bought my pc in September 2005 .That was Komplet Gaming AMD(1800e) PC....Later on i got
    1900 XT-550E
    Ocz 2gb ram-320Euro
    Zalman cpu cooler-45e
    Zalman fan controller-32e
    Thermaltake case-200e
    Creative s.c.-65e.
    Samsung215tw -550e
    Gainward 8800gts 640 -400e

total-2160.
    OH MY GOD......
    Can we put a password lock on this thread?
    My wife will simply kill my if she finds out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Probably a small fortune my own personal system sort of evolves in stages as parts are replaced I don't usually go all out with a complete new system.

My current setup was probably at least 2000 maybe 2500, mainly expensive monitor was the biggest cost at around €650 lots of HD's for RAID, big case, 7800GTX when it was new got a second hand one for SLI. Still using the same desk I've had for the past ten+ years though :)

That's all about to be replaced with new UPS, Q6600 CPU, new mobo & cooler, 4GB RAM which adds nearly €950 to the price so the cost of the whole thing now probably stands well over the €3000 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its crazy really how much money ive spent and im going spend more over the next couple of weeks.. Ive a nice job id like to make use of before I get left go the end of june :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thousands, because i change out parts constantly to keep current. Buy new hardware and sell the old...at a huge depreciation i might add. Example...DDR2 memory, not 6 months ago it cost €300...now, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The most expensive single build i have had must have been when the 5800 came out. that cost me 800 punts.

But this opty has to be the most expensive ongoing one. Its gone from a 3000/3500/3700/3800/opty170
    5800/9800pro/x800/6600/6800/7800/7900/x1800/x1950/8800
    Multiple motherboards from DFI, Asus and abit.
    about 5 pus's
    20+ hdds
    4 optical drives.
    2 sound cards
    8 cases
    5 types of ram
    2 watercooling kits ( 3rd i pick up tonight )
    3 monitors.
    about 5 cpu coolers.
    ect ect

Jesus, id say thats the guts of 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im always adding new bits and bobs as i go along. But the most i have spent in one go would be about €600. But i could do another 4 x €400 spends the same year so my total is large. On average i spend about 2k a year.

hmm I think I might make a "post a picture of your setup thread later tonight" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are you playing the game " how many pointless threads a day can i start? "

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Built a shuttle box a while back for around €1200.

Added a X800XT to it for around €350

A new monitor, which was a sony 17" for €450 out of peats.
    (Yes it was about €400 online at the time, but I wanted it there and then and it was prob the only dacent montior I could pick up in a bricks and mortar in Ireland easily:confused:)

After that I got a logitech gaming keyboard for about €80.

EDIT: and a medusa 5.1 headset for €80

So all in all €2150 or there abouts.
    (Add another few hundred for games I suppose!)

I haven't really added much to the machine as it is fairly limited for upgrade options:D.

A new machine will be built in the comming months for around €2000.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Are you playing the game " how many pointless threads a day can i start? "

:p

Do you know I knew you were going to say something like that! :D Nah I just like looking at things like that... Im pretty proud of my setup I want to show it off lol.. but not til I get my speakers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ixnay on the how much have you nent spay... ok!

Denial gets you through all spending sprees. I'm currently in the process of blowing quiet a few g's on a HT setup, including a new HTPC, new Quad Core PC, Surround sound speaker setup, Plasma HDTV... etc.

I don't really count how much i've spent, rather how much i've saved by buying some stuff second hand or getting it at sale prices.

Although this thread is funny as I had a few minutes free in work today so I designed a excel sheet that I can use everytime I do a new build or change something in my current build so I can keep track of costs, upgrades planned... etc.

The way I see it though, i'm in a fairly good job that pays well, and I wouldn't have this job if it wasn't for my love of computers and operating systems. So my spending is justified as it has afforded me the ability to earn more money in a job that I wouldn't have where it not for my hobby of building computers.... see... denial ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I don't want to think about how much in total.

I do try to restrict spending to around €200 per month over the year...that would include buying and selling bits and peices.

Sadly if I was to sell everthing on the desk in front of me I doubt it would make €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I spent over €1500 this year but i feel i have the basic things right at last my case ,psu monitor ect can all be used in my next build.

I still have my "old" 170 opteron computer sitting here i must sell it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've honestly no idea. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Best not to think about it. Now, in fairness, I don't spend that much on my actual systems - whenever I buy a machine, it's always a nice, capable machine, but never quite bleeding edge. Where my money is wasted is buying little bits and pieces - I simply cannot wait even a few days for something. Often I've bought a graphics card off adverts and only used it for a day or two...

Also I've a horrible habit of messing around with old machines, and spending more money on parts for them, probably more then 2 or 3x the machines actual value.

But ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

HavoK wrote:
    I simply cannot wait even a few days for something.
    I also suffer from this want-what-I-want-when-I-want-it urge, I've come close to buying things in Peats as a result, God help me. :eek: :D

Advertisement