Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**IMPORTANT!!!** Re Mark Ronson: Stop Me

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yes indeed a large amount of people have been fooled by that cnut and his ****ing "remix" of what was a very good song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Dudess wrote:
    For those who think the song is by Mark Ronson, your a disgrace to humanity

Fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tough but fair.

DarkJager, "a very good song"? What about a genius masterpiece?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dudess wrote:
    For those who think the song is by Mark Ronson, you MUST view the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_STy4L86lk
    What are you on? The album from which that song is taken is an album of remixed songs. I thought everyone knew that the song was a Smiths cover, obviously not.

Christ! You'd swear the guy had committed genocide by the tone of your post.

Apologies Dudess, the original is "****in awesome!!!" :)

Mark Ronson should be taken out and shot for that "remix". Its not clever and just really really made an absolute balls of the original.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    What are you on? The album from which that song is taken is an album of remixed songs. I thought everyone knew that the song was a Smiths cover, obviously not.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that there are plenty of people who hear it on the radio randomly and hum along and who a) don't know it's a cover and b) don't know The Smiths' original.
    Christ! You'd swear the guy had committed genocide by the tone of your post.

No, I just think it's quite important that people know the true origin of the song, since the original is so brilliant.

And since the remix is so blindingly crap....

Dudess wrote:
    I think it's a fairly safe bet that there are plenty of people who hear it on the radio randomly and hum along and who a) know it's a cover and b) know The Smiths' original.
    So what's with this crusade that you seem to be on then if most people know it's a cover?
    Dudess wrote:
    No, I just think it's quite important that people know the true origin of the song, since the original is so brilliant.
    Quite important? If you say so.

So when's your next musical education thread?

"ZMOG, Like Seriously people, stop what you're doing!!!! That Greenday/U2 Song was originally by the Skids!!!"

Its not musical education Bazmo, Dudess was quite right to put this thread up here. There are too many "artists" around like Mark ronson nowadays, who won't give credit where credit is due. Its about letting people see the original of the song, so nobody starts getting ideas that this talentless streak of piss actually wrote the song himself.

BaZmO* wrote:
    So what's with this crusade that you seem to be on then if most people know it's a cover?

That was a mistake, which I have since corrected.
    Quite important? If you say so.

Yep, I do.
    So when's your next musical education thread?

"ZMOG, Like Seriously people, stop what you're doing!!!! That Greenday/U2 Song was originally by the Skids!!!"

Chill, will you? You're entitled to your opinion, but no need to get so pissed off. The thread isn't that incendiary.
    And it personally annoys me that there are people who assume the Mark Ronson version is an original - hence, I decided to address it.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote:
    The thread isn't that incendiary.
    Incendiary no, OTT yes.

Dudess wrote:
    And it personally annoys me that there are people who assume the Mark Ronson version is an original - hence, I decided to address it.
    Have a guess what the name of his album is?

"Classic songs I made **** of"?

DarkJager wrote:
    "Classic songs I made **** of"?
    It's actually a matter of opinion really. And as for your comment about letting people know, if people are that uneducated in music let them bask in their ignorance I say.

Out of interest, has either of you listened to his album or are you even familiar with his work?

Oh please, will you stop bringing up his album? I'm talking about one specific SONG, which is getting a lot of airplay. I can't even remember the name of the Lily Allen album, but I could name songs by her that are on the radio all the time. I doubt every person who hears Mark Ronson's version is also aware of the title/content of the album from which it's taken.
    Plus, I'm keen to make people aware of The Smiths' original since it's so good.

Yeah, I know Ooh Wee by Mark Ronson, which I think is very good actually. I don't even dislike his version of Stop Me.

I've listened to a few tracks off his album and to be honest, its dull bland and totally unispired music. He can disapear back to anonymity now....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Terrible cover. J'en ai marre (pronounced Johnny Marr) of it after one listen.
    *gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This is sad, if you dont like Mark Ronson or his work dont listen to it. Get out the Smiths and listen to that, and quit your whining, obviously some people like Marks work, and its selling well nuff said.

Dudess wrote:
    Plus, I'm keen to make people aware of The Smiths' original since it's so good.
    Well I wish you luck on your crusade.

dango wrote:
    J'en ai marre (pronounced Johnny Marr)

:D
    Beauty!

And Willstev, I have nothing against Mark Ronson. I just want to let people know that the original is even better.

I suppose it's because I do a bit of radio presenting - I like introducing people to good music.

Oh many thanks, BaZmO*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say I really like Ronson version.

I'm a huge Smiths fans and obviously their version is better but I like the way MR (and whoever sings on it) put some soul into it. Genuinely strong songs can survive versions in other genres.

Have to say though; I'm kinda surprised Morrissey gave permission. Marr yes, Moz no. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Willstev wrote:
    This is sad, if you dont like Mark Ronson or his work dont listen to it. Get out the Smiths and listen to that, and quit your whining, obviously some people like Marks work, and its selling well nuff said.

What he said; Jesus get over it. It's like the Pink Floyd/Scissor Sisters thing all over again...it's only sodding pop music, FFS

for what it's worth i like the original, but in terms of rating the cover by ronson/merriweather, i have to say it's great. who the hell else has gone and tried to put a motown stamp on a Smiths song? Nobody. Should it work? Hell no. Does it? Matter of opinion, i guess, but I likes it...

Yeah, I don't mind the Mark Ronson version at all. I think it works.

I'm amazed this is bothering people so much. What's wrong with wanting to draw attention to the fact that there is an original, and said original is excellent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

There's nothing wrong with pointing it out, actually that it's a cover.

There's a sod of a lot wrong with pseudo-pub-bores (not that i'm accusing anybody here of that - it's a general observation i've noted in the 'real world') calling Ronson a talent vacuum 'cos he's had the temerity to carry out the musical equivalent of drinking Mi-Wadi orange from the Holy Grail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

<ol_fella_bit>

Never would have this problem back in the vinyl day. You would have spotted the Morrissey/Marr credit on the front when putting it on the turntable. ;)

</ol_fella_bit>

There's a sod of a lot wrong with pseudo-pub-bores (not that i'm accusing anybody here of that - it's a general observation i've noted in the 'real world') calling Ronson a talent vacuum 'cos he's had the temerity to carry out the musical equivalent of drinking Mi-Wadi orange from the Holy Grail...

And you're right not to accuse me of that because I'm certainly not doing it. As I said, I don't have a problem with Mark Ronson. I suppose I'm particularly biased about Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before as it's one of my all-time favourite songs.

Dudess wrote:
    I'm amazed this is bothering people so much. What's wrong with wanting to draw attention to the fact that there is an original, and said original is excellent?
    The only problem is the way you titled the thread. **IMPORTANT!!!** Really? Interesting maybe for those that don't already know but hardly a matter of life or death.

Not entirely serious either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Don't like this version at all (love the original)

Only other Ronson remix I know is of Radiohead's Just, which I quite like! So far he's 50:50 in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Don't really like his version of the song, but the rest of the stuff on the album is ok...

But seriously, the title of your topic is a bit much.. anyone with half an interest in music (probably, if they read the music forum) would know that his full album , called version believe it or not, is covers/remix of other songs... I'm sure the amount of airplay Amy Winehouse - Valerie got would have drawn peoples attention to it aswell....

I'm thinking of posting a public awareness thread entitled **IMPORTANT!!!** Re Boyzone: When the going gets tough

EDIT: but I don't think anyone would give a sh1te , and probably knew already.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm an awful cu*nt all right for the way I titled the thread. I'm so sorry for insulting people like that. I'll have a good long think in future when I start a thread. :rolleyes:

Advertisement