Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia V New Mondeo

Options
  • 24-05-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just looking for some advice / opinions on choosing a company car. I have narrowed down the choice to two cars but cannot decide between them! They are both diesels - New Mondeo 1.8TDCi (100bhp) LX and the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI Elegance (105bhp) I do about 15,000 miles a year - the vast majority of it is city driving so comfort is very important. My heart is being pushed towards the Mondeo as I have always liked Fords but my brain is pushing me towards the Octavia for the equipment level / build quality - obviously depreciation isn't a factor in the equation as it will be a company car. Any thoughts???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

If given the chance I 'd rather be seen driving the new mondeo than an octavia.
    It will probably be much better to drive too and the engine will be more refined,it's a bigger car and is likely to be more comfortable and quiter ,I'm not sure what the octavia will offer in the line of extras over the lx mondeo? And why worry about build quality if its a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cyborg wrote:
    I don't think anyone's going to notice the driver of either, to be honest. That said, i'd say the Skoda has a slightly more upmarket image.

Anan1 wrote:
    I don't think anyone's going to notice the driver of either, to be honest. That said, i'd say the Skoda has a slightly more upmarket image.

the mondeo would certainly turn more haeds being a new model but true neither car is going to pull d ladies! Skoda an upmarket image ...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

cyborg wrote:
    It will probably be much better to drive too and the engine will be more refined,it's a bigger car and is likely to be more comfortable and quiter ,I'm not sure what the octavia will offer in the line of extras over the lx mondeo? And why worry about build quality if its a company car.

The 1.9 TDI engine in the Octavia is a fantastic engine, I wouldn't think it needs any refinement at all... It's the same engine that was super popular in the Golf and Audi lines because it was a lovely engine to drive with. At the end of the day I think it'd probably come down to preference of looks. Why don't you go and test drive both and see what you think of them?

The 1.9 TDI engine in the Octavia is a fantastic engine, I wouldn't think it needs any refinement at all... It's the same engine that was super popular in the Golf and Audi lines because it was a lovely engine to drive with. At the end of the day I think it'd probably come down to preference of looks. Why don't you go and test drive both and see what you think of them?

The 1.9 TDI 's popularity lies in its super MPG and reliability and it does pull well- a good all rounder but it is definately not the last word in refinement, despite being found in the auid range. BMW,PSA, honda and fiat diesels are all more refined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The 1.9tdi engine is a very good engine with a good longevity. However, its lacking way behind the newer engines eg. newer 2.0tdi, fords TDci, etc.. in refinement terms

edit - cyborg beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

please stop, its a rought 105bhp diesel knockin around years

what are the other choices apart from the mondy and skoda, ie the ones diiscounted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well that's one problem I would love to have! Best of luck making that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

The only other choice on the list is the Seat Toledo S 1.9 Diesel, I dont even think it is at the races!

cyborg wrote:
    the mondeo would certainly turn more haeds being a new model but true neither car is going to pull d ladies! Skoda an upmarket image ...lol
    Times have changed, my friend.;) You'll see quite a few Octavias in the more salubrious driveways of coastal south Dublin, but very few Mondeos.

• Advertisement

probably not!

Anan1 wrote:
    Times have changed, my friend.;) You'll see quite a few Octavias in the more salubrious driveways of coastal south Dublin, but very few Mondeos.

They must be replacing the trusty fiestas in 3 car households so.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anan1 wrote:

You need to go to Specsavers. Skoda is the lowest rung of the VW family ladder. Image is a huge problem, even now.

You need to go to Specsavers. Skoda is the lowest rung of the VW family ladder. Image is a huge problem, even now.
    Skoda is, indeed, the lowest rung of the VW family ladder. This, I think, is the Mondeo's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Anan1 wrote:
    That said, i'd say the Skoda has a slightly more upmarket image.

I never thought Id see the day.:D

There are probably kids around here who wouldnt appreciate how surreal it is that the above statement could be made.

(And even funnier that the poster is probably right).

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

personally i'd think Seat is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    Skoda is, indeed, the lowest rung of the VW family ladder. This, I think, is the Mondeo's problem.

The Mondeo is the obvious choice here.

Neither car will have the birds falling from the treees (or off the footpath), but the mondeo is superior in every conceivable way. It may have a working class image, but at least it doesnt have a cheapskate one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Both are rep mobeiles, so no real pulling power, either with the wimin or the acceleration. The Mondeo is probably bigger & more comfortable inside. I'd plum with the Mondeo.
    Ddi you think about taking an allowance instead & getting something older but nicer instead?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The 1.9 TDI engine in the Octavia is a fantastic engine, I wouldn't think it needs any refinement at all...

have to disagree here, it's ancient and the newer VAG 2.0TDIs (140 and 170) are much smoother and more refined than it.

Ddi you think about taking an allowance instead & getting something older but nicer instead?

One must then define nicer.

Is a 316 "nicer" than a mondeo? A C180? Is a 530i nicer? If it is nicer is it a "nicer" alternative for someone doing 20k miles a year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

maidhc wrote:
    One must then define nicer.

Nicer = list price new is higher

Sandwich wrote:
    Nicer = list price new is higher

My point exactly. Just because the mondeo is 25k doesn't mean it isn't as nice as a 316 which is 15k more. It is most probably a much nicer car in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VAG 1.9 TDi unit was a good engine in its day but diesel technology has moved on quickly since then.

While it is economical and a tried and tested unit, it is rather noisy and unrefined compared to much more refined common rail diesel units these days.

If it was the Octavia 2.0 TDi v the Mondeo then I would opt for the Octavia but that is not the case so the Mondeo would be my choice.

maidhc wrote:
    My point exactly. Just because the mondeo is 25k doesn't mean it isn't as nice as a 316 which is 15k more. It is most probably a much nicer car in every respect.

why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Skoda- Upmarket?
    1.9 TDI - Refined?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Okay, fair point about the CRI engines being a bit nicer, but there's still nothing wrong with the 1.9 TDI, very reliable, economical, loads of torque and I wouldn't consider it noisy...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mondeo vs. Passat is a more realistic contest. Mondeo wins this too btw (according to the reports I've read).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Mondeo v Octavia, no contest.

Wrong class for starters, what about Mondeo v Superb. Isnt an Octavia a rival:rolleyes: for Focus!

Me thinks it should go like:

Mondeo v Passat/Avensis/Laguna/Vectra etc inc Superb
    Focus v Golf/Corolla/Megane/Ashtray etc inc Octavia

Or something like that, only my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

personally i'd think Seat is

According to VAG :

Sport Brand
    Audi
    SEAT

Family Brand
    VW
    Skoda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anan1 wrote:

I have noticed the very same thing. Octavia seems to be well respected in the roysch circles. ;)

Superb is just taking it a bit far though...

Advertisement