Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia V New Mondeo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I see what you are saying, but only agree to a point.

"The big 2" in market share are Toyota followed by Ford however. In the real world most of these cars are very reliable, and VW's (peoples car remember?) upmarket image is a veneer at best. In reality some of their technology is comparatively ancient. Someone suggested earlier Skoda was a premium brand :D

BMW sell more 3 series models in the UK than Ford do Mondeo's.

Image may be important to blinkered lemmings, and blinded brand loyal simpletons.

Cars are however for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

4istic wrote:
    What I am saying is that Ford designers have been conservative in the shape of the exterior and this Mondeo will be dated in 2 years time, as the Primeria was for Nissan 1 year after it was launched. Hate to say it folks but the Avensis is still the top selling car in this segment 4 years after it's launch. Yes I am an Avensis driver so maybe I am biased, but i know someone working for a Ford dealer and their opinion is one of "they could have been bolder with the design - it's not going to move the Avensis and Passat driver out of their respective models":)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=275

TomMc wrote:
    Yes, but VW & Toyota owners tend to have no imagination so stay loyal to those marques regardless of what the opposition does. There is a case for Toyota owners who value reliability most of all, rather than the more involving drive of a Ford. VW owners have proved that a perceived image of been more upmarket is more important to them, than Ford's superior dynamics.

Ford's Mondeo is always going to be designed & packaged in a way which appeals to their main market, first & foremost - fleet sales. Where private motorists are concerned they are really competing with the Vectra, Laguna, 407, Mazda 6, Primera drivers et al, more so than the big two.

Tom, I have to slightly disagree with you on this. The New mondeo is being marketed a lot more this time to just Fleet sales. Yes before it was, but the bucks they payed to stick into the bond film and marketing ploys during the champiopns league final are part of the plan to sell it to the more imaginative driver. I think a lot of the negative thoughts on Mondeo here are to the old one. The oringial poster is discussing buying the new Mondeo which is a completely different beast entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Unfortunately, no matter how good it is and I would say it is brilliant compared to all it's rivals, (the current one is even better than most of the competition), it will still be outsold by the 3-series & Passat. Ford keep moving the goalposts in mass market / volume cars (quality, dynamics and value for money) but sadly there is not the same incremental improvement in sales. In Ford's case the law of diminishing returns always applies, which is rather sad. Today's world I'm afraid is obsessed with style and image not substance.

Considering Ford's financial state, they have to be highly commended for all their more recent efforts. Kicking and screaming they may be, but at least they have the stomach and imagination for the fight. Here's hoping for a breakthrough. It is fully deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 4istic

I see what you are saying, but only agree to a point.

"The big 2" in market share are Toyota followed by Ford however. In the real world most of these cars are very reliable, and VW's (peoples car remember?) upmarket image is a veneer at best. In reality some of their technology is comparatively ancient. Someone suggested earlier Skoda was a premium brand :D

BMW sell more 3 series models in the UK than Ford do Mondeo's.

Image may be important to blinkered lemmings, and blinded brand loyal simpletons.

Cars are however for driving.

Sorry Henry Ford the 3rd, but Ford cannot be considered in the "big 2" anymore in Ireland. I believe VW have overtaken you in Ireland into 2nd spot behind Toyota.You hardly mean the "big 2" in terms of Mondeo as for every 1 Mondeo you sell in ireland, Toyota sell 4 Avensis. Brand image and style are the key drivers on which car to buy, well for the majority of Irish consumers anyway. Unfortuntely we live in an image consious society where perception is everything. I think someone in this post dismissed this latter point, but unfortunately this is reality!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

4istic wrote:
    Sorry Henry Ford the 3rd, but Ford cannot be considered in the "big 2" anymore in Ireland. I believe VW have overtaken you in Ireland into 2nd spot behind Toyota.You hardly mean the "big 2" in terms of Mondeo as for every 1 Mondeo you sell in ireland, Toyota sell 4 Avensis. Brand image and style are the key drivers on which car to buy, well for the majority of Irish consumers anyway. Unfortuntely we live in an image consious society where perception is everything. I think someone in this post dismissed this latter point, but unfortunately this is reality!!

does that not imply the avensis has style? sorry but it doesnt.

it has many qualities, style isnt one

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bissaed as I am, I would say the Avensis is a well proportioned looking car, and despite not having flame grilled creases along the bodywork, or a 3 foot overhang on the front, it is still an impressive looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got to say, I'm not overly upset about the Avensis either, it's not a bad car at all!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    Bissaed as I am, I would say the Avensis is a well proportioned looking car, and despite not having flame grilled creases along the bodywork, or a 3 foot overhang on the front, it is still an impressive looking car.

I agree, it's quite nice.

Drives like a fridge freezer though ;)

The 2006 model is a lot sharper. try the new D-4D 125 or 150bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What kind of key to you use to start an Avensis? A pie-key. Boom boom!

and I'm banned in ... 5... 4... 3... 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I had a hire one once (Avensis) and compared to the Legacy it was like driving a panel van. The raised platform (higher driving position) made me feel as if I was sitting on the car, not in it. When getting back into the Subaru, it felt like I was sitting in a go-kart. Magic!

that says more about your Legacy than it does about the Avensis, most modern cars have a higher driving position than your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

4istic wrote:
    You hardly mean the "big 2" in terms of Mondeo as for every 1 Mondeo you sell in ireland, Toyota sell 4 Avensis. Brand image and style are the key drivers on which car to buy, well for the majority of Irish consumers anyway.

Avensis? Brand image and style? For the sections of the community who like thieir licence plates on the roof only! :)

The Focus seems to outsell the Golf by a fair proportion, so surely the Mondeo should be able to do the same thing.

My parents were are seriously considering getting the new Mondeo. The other contenders are a BMW 5 series and Jag X-type. Unlike many perhaps they chose their cars based on what they like rather than preconceived notions of what image the brand conveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

A spoiler makes a great job of the Avensis' looks :D

DSC00086.JPG

(pic courtesy of Trevor on vagdrivers.net!)

and to make things better, that's a base 1.6 model that's had accessory 16" alloys added.

OMG just spotted the fin on the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The "spoiler" is there obviously to counteract the drag created by the towbar and mudflaps...

Going back to the actualy question on this thread. Try the Mondeo over the Octavia I would say. You wont be sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sat in Both, 2.0 TD Mondeo and 1.9TDI Octavia

The Mondeo feels bigger than the Octavia, I'd have to say the Octavia has a bit more kick.

Have a feeling that the Mondeo would be a more comfortable car on long journeys, more extras in it too.

Both nice imho, but i'd go for the Hatchback over the Saloon on the Mondeo.

The saloon looks too much like a Squad car for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

craichoe wrote:

The Mondeo feels bigger than the Octavia, I'd have to say the Octavia has a bit more kick.

Have a feeling that the Mondeo would be a more comfortable car on long journeys, more extras in it too.

The New Mondeo that was launched to the dealers on Tuesday and is currently on Launch to the industry yesterday and today?

Unfortunately they couldn't do without me in the office yesterday and today so I didn't get to go to the Mondeo Launch, but a couple of the guys who were there yesterday are back in today and say the new one is fantastic. Massive inside (think Skoda Superb) but with a smaller boot than the previous model. Ride, Handling and equipment are very good and even the 1.6 petrol goes better than the Passat 1.6Fsi. Pick of the Mondeo bunch will be the 1.8Tdci with 125ps (Zetec and upwards). I personally hope it does well as I've owned a couple of previous gen Mondeo's - the early signs are it will be a big seller.

I currently have an Octavia and don't have a bad word to say about it, but if I was in the market at the moment for a nicely specced family car then it would have to be the Ford.

I'd say the sales figures for the Avensis have suffered massively since the launch of the Passat. I spend all day ordering cars in that market sector and I've put out about 5 Avensis this year. Currently putting out about 5 Passat's a week (all 1.9tdi comfortlines in Black). Hopefully the Mondeo will take over from the Passat - Skoda don't really get a look in in that sector, still too many badge snobs although everyone I've persuaded to look at the VRS instead of a Passat Comfortline has gone for that instead.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote:

The Mondeo feels bigger than the Octavia (that's because it actually is - it's bigger than the old Scorpio) , I'd have to say the Octavia has a bit more kick (how can you tell this by sitting in it? :D ).

Have a feeling that the Mondeo would be a more comfortable car on long journeys, more extras in it too. That's me sold then.

Honestly this post amazed me. Which one would have the best handling based on you sitting in them? Which the better ride and refinement? :D

R.O.R wrote:
    The New Mondeo that was launched to the dealers on Tuesday and is currently on Launch to the industry yesterday and today?

Busted craichoe! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

JoeA3 wrote:

DSC00086.JPG

WTF flying squad/hot wheels

Honestly this post amazed me. Which one would have the best handling based on you sitting in them? Which the better ride and refinement? :D

Haha ...

I own an Octavia and have driven a Mondeo .. Why did you think i was the passenger .. you just assumed i was a passenger :)

Busted craichoe! :D

Yes ....

Man .. Read the post .. I never said it was the new Mondeo.
    Jees... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

craichoe wrote:
    Yes ....

Well seeing as its the new one being discussed, your post is pointless.

Stekelly wrote:
    Well seeing as its the new one being discussed, your post is pointless.

Whatever :rolleyes: i'm sure that made you feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

craichoe wrote:
    Whatever :rolleyes: i'm sure that made you feel better

Very constructive, but the fact is you may as well have said you sat in an avensis, it would have been as relevant.

JoeA3 wrote:

DSC00086.JPG

Turns out this is an old model 2006 1.8 base model carried over into 2007. Where the hell did the driver find that yoke!

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote:
    Yes ....

I read every word of it! :D

I suggested elsewhere you were most likely an Octavia/Avensis driver, and I was right.

Now back to the point here for a while.

The Octavia has a big boot (apparently), and in most cases a wheesy 1.4 petrol engine or old tech. TDI diesel.

Old Mondeo was a fine handling and riding saloon/hatch, with a choice of engines and trim form 1.8 110bhp to a 3.0 V6 in petrol, and 2.0 and 2.2 TDCI diesels. It's simply a different class of car completely.

The new one will most likely be much better again and therefore the gap is actually widening.

You might enjoy the attached. Says it all.

Advertisement