Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia V New Mondeo

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

colm_mcm wrote:
    Turns out this is an old model 2006 1.8 base model carried over into 2007. Where the hell did the driver find that yoke!

I've seen one of those around Killarney on an '05 Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

in relation to the initial qustion posed , octavia or mondeo , the answer is most definatley the mondeo
    the new mondeo is awesome and ford has yet again set the standard for others to follow , unfortunatley us irish are not only conservative on how we vote , were also conservative in how we shop for cars
    the toyota avenssis while selling very well is thee most boring , dull looking bus on the road now and the VW passatt while like all volkswagons is over rated is a nice car and a big improovement on the previous model
    i would not mention either though in the same breath as ford , be it comparring either the avenssis or passatt to the mondeo or the golf to the ford focus , the ford is way ahead in terms of ride and handling and also value for money
    i know ford suffers from depreciation much worse than the other 2 but that is not of huge importance to everyone as not everyone changes thier car every 3 yrs let alone every yr

another thing , ive noticed that some in here are under the illusion that skoda are still a car that is frequently the butt of jokes , your about 7 yrs behind the time , thier is not a thing wrong with skoda and if ride and handling were not a big issue for me , i would choose a skoda ahead of a volkswagon or a toyota , they are a volkswagon and to me a volkswagon is not cool so i would perfer hold on to the 4 grand i would save in choosing a superp over a passatt ,
    the skoda is a perfectly respectable purchase nowadays and it is now holding its value quite well , much better than say the terminally in decline nissann or the all style and no substance renault

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd be in favour of the Skoda. Fair enough, there are any amount of Skoda jokes around - these jokes, to begin with were not as malicious as the Lada jokes, but still everybody took the p1ss out of Skoda. But the "VW factor" has had a major influence on Skoda products. Nobody can deny that Skoda have come a long way in a relatively short number of years. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see them on the 'D4 type' driveway as the second/third car. I've driven plenty, but a 1.9TDI DSG was by far the best.

That said, I haven't driven the new Mondeo (yet). But the Ford does have it's advantages. It's bigger. It will be probably be better spec'd as standard. It will look better. EDIT : It will probably be a little more reliable. The 'working mans' image of a Ford is slowly being lost. This new Mondeo will assist this to a greater extent.

As someone posted earlier - the Mondeo is a direct competitor with the Passat. The Octavia is in the Focus/Jetta/Corolla segment. The Mondeo and the Superb are closer rivals from a Ford vs Skoda perspective.

But I'd still go for the Skoda.

Advertisement