Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think it's the hard disk

Options
  • 24-05-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

My gf's machine has been misbehaving recently. It was bought new (Lidl/Targa box) about 3 years ago. It's a fairly modest spec, but does the job. Recently the machine is starting to freeze up for no reason, and requires a restart. Sometimes it just drops windows (machine power lights stay on, but screen has gone black and it sounds like the drive heads on the hard disk just drop). In my opinion I think it's the disk, but just in case it's not a power supply/mobo issue, I just want to get your opinion first. We have a tight budget so buying new components such as a disk, can only be an option if it guarantees a fix.

This started about a month ago. 2 weeks ago I thought the sound of the disk was dreadful (very fragmented, and only about 10% of disk space free). So I decided to do a clean up of the machine. So instead of just defragging the partitions, I formatted the disk and did a clean OS reinstall. The disk is no longer that loud and out of shape sounding, however every now and again (such as a few mins ago), it just dies (usually while idle).

I see Komplett has a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB IDE ATA/133 8MB 7200RPM for the guts of €60 (which is adequate storage for her needs) and the price is decent.

What do you think? (I appreciate any help you can offer us)

So do you think it's the hard disk 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Use powermax to run diags on the drive, it used to be available on the maxtor site but seeing maxtor are now seagate you may need to look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SamBourke

Hi, im using that samsung 250gb ide hdd, and its gud except that 2 days ago, my pc completely screwed up. It wont recognize the hdd and neither will any other pc? Also, i tryed it with another hdd, but as soon as the windows files were copied and it rebooted, it went back to the start. The boot and bios settings are correct. Any help anyone?

Advertisement