Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test - what are you tested on?

Options
  • 24-05-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭

After 9 months on the waiting list, I may get my driving test soon. Maybe.

I'd like to hear a recent experience from someone who just had a driving test, how does the test go? give me a blow-by-blow of what they test you on and the sequence of it.

Thanks.

Also, should there be music playing in the car during the test? I was thinking of putting some relaxing mood music or something, to create a chilled-out atmosphere, if so what would ye reccommend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

www.drivingtest.ie

The Test

The driving test is straightforward. For cars it will last about 40 minutes and will include:

questions on the Rules of the Road (including identifying road signs); demonstrating hand signals;
    reversing round a corner;
    a turnabout in the road;
    a hill start;
    driving approximately five miles under a variety of road and traffic conditions.
    Your driving will be assessed in the following situations:
    moving off;
    driving in traffic;
    stopping;
    reversing round a corner;
    turning about to face in the opposite direction;
    starting on a hill;
    parking.
    Aspects of your driving assessed will include:
    road positioning;
    overtaking and passing;
    anticipation and observation;
    use of mirrors and signals;
    progress;
    speed;
    compliance with traffic lights, road signs and markings;
    use of the vehicle controls (accelerator, clutch, gears, brakes and steering).
    use of secondary controls such as wipers, demisters, etc.

Never heard that you can't have music playing, but pretty unlikely it would be looked kindly on, I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You go into the centre and sit down. The examiner checks that your provisional licence is in order and asks you to sign a form saying your vehicle is roadworthy. Then he'll ask you to explain several road signs and also ask you a few questions about driving.

When that's done, he'll take you out to the car. You'll be asked to turn on indicators and press the brake pedal to show that all your bulbs are working. Then he'll ask you to open the bonnet of the car, and ask you to point out the various fluid containers and ask you how to check oil level/put in extra oil. Then you'll both go inside the car where he'll ask you about the "secondary vehicle controls".

After that he'll ask you to move off and drive around a route responding to directions. You'll be assessed on the criteria mentioned by TwoShedsJackson above.

The 3 "special" manouvers you'll be asked to perform are the following:
    • Turnabout - Commonly known as a 3-point turn, but you can do it in 5 or 7. Don't do it in 3 if there's any chance of hitting the kerb. Hitting the kerb is a Grade 2 or 3 depending on how hard you hit it. It's also a Grade 3 if you hit something like a pole or a tree on the footpath, going on the logic that it could just have easily been a person.
    • Hill Start - This should be a doddle for anyone with any kind of driving experience. Just make sure you use your handbrake for it, don't roll back at all and make sure you do your usual mirrors/blind spot check/indicating when you move off.
    • Reverse around a corner - Everyone's favourite ;) The only thing for this is lots of practice on various types of corners.

When that's over, you'll be asked to drive back to the test centre and park. Drive into a parking bay rather than reversing in to make things easiest for yourself. You'll then go into the test centre to be given your results. If you fail, you'll be handed a sheet with your faults and given a cert to say you failed, which you can use if applying for a 3rd or subsequent provisional licence. If you pass, you'll be given the sheet and whatever faults you picked up will be explained, and he'll write you a certificate of competency, which you can use to apply for your full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Was anyone asked to paralell park?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SeanW wrote:
    Was anyone asked to paralell park?
    Doesn't form part of the test here.

OP - make sure that your tax/NCT/Insurance are in order.

Turn off radio and mobile phone. Don't just put the phone to silent - the vibrating noise can be very distracting.

Reverse into the parking spot before the test so that you can drive straight out. Do the opposite when you return.

It could be wet - know how to demist the window without having to wipe it continuously with a cloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

I did my test a few weeks back & passed. The procedure that the girl took during the test was;

* Pointed out a few signs on a sheet & asked me what are they & what do they mean?
    * She asked a few rules of the road also, when to pass on left, etc.
    * Out to car & lifted bonnet. She asked me;
    where does the brake fluid go?
    where does the coolant go?
    where is the water reservoir?
    * I sat into car & she checked indicators & brake lights
    * She sat into car & asked how to de-mist rear window, how to use full lights.
    * Drove off, covered all the things that are mentioned above in post 2.

That was it really.

I took a lesson from an instructor the day before the test & he pointed out that I should have the rear-view mirror slightly nudged to the left. This was so that the tester would see me phyisically move my head to get a look out to the rear.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

just recently passed my test first time.clean sheet only 1 grade 2 for observation at cross junction. only driving 9 months, its such a great feeling i wish every one could feel it. the worries of being stoped by guards on a provisional has gone and those ugly red L plates gone. any way i wont lie its a nerve wrecking experience, especially when i was waiting in the waiting room i could hear him tell the driver before me she had failed,
    my tips to you would be to go over the road signs know them all inside out. get a print out of the most commonly asked questions, all fairly straight forward, they are not there to trick you , get the help of a good driving instructor, and he/ she will show you the routes used by the testers and you can practice.
    drive the routes at different times to see all traffic conditions. Look left at roundabouts as well as right , and slow down well back to get an over all view of the roundabout, and one thing the instructor was very impressed with on my test was that i had spotted a pedestrians legs under a van and slowed down even before he stuck his head out, (youd think i planned it). and finaly just try and relax so you can hear the instructions given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

jc7 wrote:
    I took a lesson from an instructor the day before the test & he pointed out that I should have the rear-view mirror slightly nudged to the left. This was so that the tester would see me phyisically move my head to get a look out to the rear.
    HTH

This is unnecessary. In fact the examiner could mark you for not having the mirrors adjusted properly as from "Preparing for the Driving test" at http://www.drivingtest.ie/
    Recent enhancements to the test mean that you should ensure that:

* you know how to operate the secondary controls, such as windscreen wipers and washers, demisters, rear window heater, lights and air-conditioning where fitted. You must also know how to adjust the seat, seat-belt and mirrors and ensure the doors are closed;

Also if it is necessary to move your head to check the mirror, (due to misalignment) it is very obvious when/if you forget. Also any exaggerated movement implies to the examiner that you do not think much of his observational skills. If greatly exaggerated - which some people do- can be vey annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

J_R wrote:
    Also if it is necessary to move your head to check the mirror, it is very obvious when/if you forget. Also any exaggerated movement implies to the examiner that you do not think much of his observational skills. If greatly exaggerated - which some people do- can be vey annoying.

I wear glasses for driving and have to turn my head a fair bit to check the left side mirror as peripheral vision won't tell me much if I don't - is this going to be frowned on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Sorry, if mislead. No problem turning head to check the side mirrors.

For the test you simply do not have to do anything extra to facilitate the tester. It is his job to catch your mirror checks.

Adjust the mirrors correctly and check them as you normally would. Hopefully that is frequently and in good time before changing gears, lanes etc etc etc

Advertisement