Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing an iPhone

• 24-05-2007 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi,

iphone is en-route for the USA soon there is an issue here with distribution T Mobile are getting worldwide exclusivie by the look of things and they have done deals with Cingular in the past....

So questions are

1. What network will get iphone in Ireland?
    2. Will it work here and Would you buy an imported (first edition non-3G USA version remember) one
    3. How much would you pay for it soon as it came out state side
    4. How would you charge it? will it be like an ipod ie any laptop cable will do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It should work on O2 or Meteor, both of which have EDGE service.

Data rates on O2 are penal though.
    Meteor might be the best option.

Not sure that Vodafone offers EDGE at all, as they moved over to 3G
    and 3 is a non starter.

From what I gather the handsets in the US are exclusive to AT&T/Cingular. They will definitely be SIM locked.
    It's possible apple might sell them SIM free via their own retail network, but theyre pricy devices when not subsidised by a network. You also may not have support for the phone via Apple in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Might be able to get some sim free but I don't know when they're out.

I can get the LG Prada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think right now, it is prudent to just wait and see. I assume if they do an exclusive deal with T-Mobile, this will only be valid in countries where T-Mobile have a network, and as such any Irish network could pick it up.

But like I said, let's wait and see before wildly speculating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

AFAIK it's CMDA phone, so it won't work on GSM networks = no europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

AFAIK it's CMDA phone, so it won't work on GSM networks = no europe.

According to the specifications on Apple.com, it is a quad-band GSM + EDGE phone: 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. Should therefore work worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Hi,

iphone is en-route for the USA soon there is an issue here with distribution T Mobile are getting worldwide exclusivie by the look of things and they have done deals with Cingular in the past....

So questions are

1. What network will get iphone in Ireland?
    2. Will it work here and Would you buy an imported (first edition non-3G USA version remember) one
    3. How much would you pay for it soon as it came out state side
    4. How would you charge it? will it be like an ipod ie any laptop cable will do?

How are you going to get one.Do you know someone over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

According to the specifications on Apple.com, it is a quad-band GSM + EDGE phone: 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. Should therefore work worldwide.
    :o I misread a post on Engadget... my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

drdre wrote:
    How are you going to get one.Do you know someone over there

I can get one alright but the issues that are bothering me are charging it and the SIM lock (it'll be a while before they can crack them id presume) Also I have a feeling that iphone2 will be the big seller in Europe rather than this one....remember that first ipod?

If i did buy i think the novelty would wear i have an ipod already and a good phone!

I can get one alright but the issues that are bothering me are charging it and the SIM lock (it'll be a while before they can crack them id presume) Also I have a feeling that iphone2 will be the big seller in Europe rather than this one....remember that first ipod?

If i did buy i think the novelty would wear i have an ipod already and a good phone!

If its sim locked then dont bother as it wont be unlockable for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

If its unlocked it would work.It doesnt matter if you are on prepay or bill pay

Advertisement