Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry question

Options
  • 24-05-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

When 40.5mg(7.5X10^-4 moles) of an unsaturated hydrocarbon were burned completely in excess oxygen, 67.3cm^3 of Carbon Dioxide, measured at STP were produced. Find the molecular formula of the hydrocarbon.

-i'm able to prove that its C4 but can't prove its H8, answer has to be H8 as we don't study alkynes above C2 but can't prove it!!! anyone got any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

You won't get a question like that in the exam.....don't bother learning it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Yeah but i would like to know how to do it anyway, the exam isn't everything in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

fuinneamh wrote:
    When 40.5mg(7.5X10^-4 moles) of an unsaturated hydrocarbon were burned completely in excess oxygen, 67.3cm^3 of Carbon Dioxide, measured at STP were produced. Find the molecular formula of the hydrocarbon.

-i'm able to prove that its C4 but can't prove its H8, answer has to be H8 as we don't study alkynes above C2 but can't prove it!!! anyone got any ideas.

I think it should be C4H6? Here's my solution:

We have 67.3cm^3 of CO2, which is (67.3)/(22400) = 3x10^(-3) moles

So, our ratio of hydrocarbon:CO2 in moles is:
    7.5x10^-4:3x10^(-3)
    Which is equal to 1:4
    So we have 1 hydrocarbon for every CO2, so the hydrocarbon must have 4 carbons.

Now, let x=the relative molecular mass of 1 mole of the hydrocarbon.
    So (40.5x10^-3)/x = (No. of moles)
    But we know that the number of moles is 7.5X10^-4
    So:
    (40.5x10^-3)/x = 7.5X10^-4
    Therefore: x = (40.5x10^-3)/(7.5X10^-4) = 54

so (number of carbons)x12 + (number of hydrogens)x1 = 54
    => 4x12 + (number of hydrogens) = 54
    => number of hydrogens = 6

So the hydrocrbon is C4H6 (which is butyne)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

thank you, seems so obvious when you point it out, but isn't that always the way.

Advertisement