Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots & Wellies, going shopping, enough is really enough

Options
  • 24-05-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Folks,

I know this isn't specifically a shooting question but since myself & no doubt others require good footwear to go shooting hopefully the mods will bear with me.

Right, after having to do a rather unplesant job in the rain today I've decided I've had it up to my eyeballs with these s**t Ecco boots. The bottom of the drain was drier than my feet. If I emptied a box of BB's into those boots there'd be less holes as the lead would plug some of them up.

What I'll be doing in new boots;

foxing, 90% of it walking,
    farm work such as fencing, draining, going to the hill gathering sheep etc, some light building work.

The terrain;

West of Ireland, alkaline (I think) bog, water (lots of water pretty much all year around, with me in it), sharp and abrasive rocks, brambles, gorse, slippery ground and rocks, barbed wire. Generally lots of everything in the last sentence, clean level ground is non existant to be honest.

What I want/need;

NO SOFT BOOTS NEED APPLY.
    Rugged well wearing (in other words tear resistant from sharp rocks etc.), warm, DRY, comfortable, good support, good grip soles non slip. (Not asking for much like).
    1 pair of boots, 1 pair of wellingtons.
    Will have to last more than 12 months.

Everything I've had previously has had holes like torpedo strikes within 6 months. I don't mind spending a bit of money if I'm going to get QUALITY. These boots will get walked into the ground as I don't own more than one hunting/working boot pair at a time.

I'm generally against wellingtons, due to me almost breaking my neck in a few pairs. But, I realise I probably do need a pair.

I have searched here and on other sites.

The brands I've seen mentioned the most have been Tay Muck Boot (like the look of them actually), Aigle, Le Chameau, Meindl.

What I'm asking for now fron all you good people is this especially, take into account the terrain and work described above, couple it with what I'm looking for and then if you can reccomend a boot, most preferably from personal expierence please do so

Many thanks in advance,

Yours with soggy feet ,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Me and the auld lad have a pair of dunlop prestige each nothing facy just your average wellie and i've never had wet feet with them. They're pretty tough and can't see them being pierced to easy maybe your better off getting a pair of gortex gaiters they just go around the shin and should protectthe boots while they keep you dry.

Waxed cotton is tough stuff (maybe a bit warm for this weather though)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gaiters-wax-cotton-brand-new-and-unused_W0QQitemZ170113369519QQihZ007QQcategoryZ7303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm also on the lookout for a nice set of boots that could
    also be worn for casual wear. I liked the Marksman and Stalker boots
    I saw on the Ads in Irish Shooters digest and there are some real tree
    camo ones that I think look cool. At the cheap price they are I would
    be assuming that the quality may not be the best quality.

Anyone vouch for any of these boots?
    http://www.lractive.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=52_53

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

One word for boots that will take that sort of nonsense..... DANNER.

They are EXPENSIVE and you do have to order them from the USA.
    BUT they are as comfortable as Hell,and will last about three seasons if you look after them.They are designed with milspec work in mind.So you can imagine what sort of pounding a military boot gets,and they are personal choice for US mil personel if you dont want to use issued boots. Gortex lining does keep the feet dry,but it will eventually give up if used all the time.I wore a pair for about three years in day to day useage,when I first came back from the US,and they were the civvie model,with that crappy nubuck /felt outside.They literally fell apart,and were un mendable here by any cobblers.
    Well worth the dosh. $250 upwards.But you are buying the Merc G wagon of boots.:D

Next is ALTMA,
    Again a US crowd, I like their Nam style jungle boot.Leather toecap,and sides,canvas/cordura rest,with drain holes.If you are going to be wet and dont fancy wellies this is the next best option,as they drain pretty quickly and dry somwhat quickly as well.
    OK they were designed for jungle terrain,but cope pretty well with Irish bog,and are pretty impervious to briars and barbed wire.They are lightweight,so if you want to use them for walking around town they will do this too. Wear my pair even in some of the wettest winter weather here and I haven't noticed it [much] when I stepped into a puddle of rain water. About $120 with shipping.
    DO NOT BUY the Vibram sole under any circumstances on any type of boot.They are leathl on smooth wet surfaces I have two pairs of Altamas,the older pair has the rubber sole trad Vietnam pattern.It is 100% better for grip even totally worn down.The Vibram is like having two bars of soap combined with floor wax on your feet,when it is wet.

Timberland
    Used to be good,got a pressie of a pair about 10years ago for Xmas,gortex lined,suede jobs.Used them excluseivly for hunting and a Winter boot up to the end of this hunting season,when they finally gave up in the soles.

Tried to get the same pair here but Timberland have gone too designer,eco friendly,hiker ,modern quiche eating man,big girl,chav wear for my liking,plus they are overpriced here.

5.11 Tactical
    Have two pairs at the moment.Both in the 140Euro mark.Dunno will they take really rough work,but they are light, designed as a police/SWAT type boot and ,if you are walking alot that is a mega bonus.I got them because I fly alot these days and it is A PITA taking off boots at airport security and relacing them ,so their side zip is really handy.

Wellies,
    Again an either/or siuation.If you are hunting,walking you want lightweight tight fitting stuff.If you are working you need somthing tough and durable.

So I found the Hunter line as good as anything for hunting,shooting,fishing.
    The Aigles I find too expensive for what they are. Toss up which you prefer.

For farm work and for shooting as well a pair of French Baudaou ewellies you get in the Coop stores arent half bad.At least they dont slop around your calf when you are out walking.

Best get 2 pairs of whatever,as no doubt you find it pointless trying to keep one pair dry and always in use like myself.
    Hope it helps.

Christ CG... you've got more footwear then Paris Hilton!

And you call yourself a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

CG your a walking Encyclopedia :)

Lovely boots. Adding some to the wish list.
    I have always been a boot man. Cant stand tackies
    or shoes so would wear boots as standard and
    the meaner tougher the better.

~B

• Advertisement

iainnash wrote:
    Christ CG... you've got more footwear then Paris Hilton!

And you call yourself a man!

Not as bad as Imelda Marcos tho.:D :D Dont get me started about my 9in stillethos!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok the only brand pair of wellies I own are a pair of hunter waders (120 euro) and they are the most un-comfortable thing I have ever worn on my feet. Probably exception to the rule but they will take some wearing to make them comfortable.

They tear my heals and I get cramps in the sole of my feet from them. Would never buy hunter again to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

If ya want decent footwear don't go past Altberg in the uk.

Their stuff is incredible. Used by both police and military in the uk......and some military here.....you won't get the end of them.....and if u do.....Altberg will take them back and service them for u! (for a price of course)
    But seriously.....the best boot u can buy.....
    My last pair were three years old...had been to hell and back....all kindsa terrain and weather and were still good enuff to be nicked by some ba..rd!
    I have a pair of bike boots too that just won't quit and are more comfy now than they ever were(over 5 years old now and never let a drop of water in)
    Not too expensive for hand made boots either.....worth having a look
    "Field and fell" are the ones to get....and buy some of the ledergris coating too....cheap maintenance for the boots.

I can honestly say that they are the only thing i've ever bought that i was 100% happy with.....

www.Altberg.co.uk

Vinniew

Those altberg boots look class

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Mendiel Army Pro, great unless you stand in water higher them (and there high) for too long, coz there a bitch to dry out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

After considering varied advice from this and other websites I've invested in a pair of Meindl Glockner GTX (suitable for walking glaciers, which should come in handy) and a pair of Esk Muck Boots which came highly reccomended. Both have to be sent from across the water as local suppliers here don't seem to stock them and I'm damned if I'm going travelling to Dublin. Will let ye know how they perform after rigerous testing :D

Do you mind John if I ask where you ordered them from??

discountwellies.co.uk for the Esk Muck Boots

taramackoutdoors.co.uk for the Meindls

I'll probably see them both much cheaper elsewhere now that I've commited to buy but .... happens ;)

johngalway wrote:
    I'll probably see them both much cheaper elsewhere now that I've commited to buy but .... happens ;)

Isn't that always the way, thanks for the info as i'll be buying a pair of each myself this season. My hunter waders were such a dissapointment. Parents got them for xmas for me and I've only worn them twice because they are so sore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Pick up a pair of gatours too

imop the perfect book is leather, one peice if possible, gortex, vibram sole, and posibly a kevlar over toe to aid in the prevention of skuffing

as you metioned bog stay away from alot of lace... it rots
    i'm using Ziamberlanes(sp) they come with a two year guarentee, my tip use them up within the guarenteee(hard going) and get a replacement

The thing I dislike about Goretex, on it's own, is that it's soft. There's a lot of bog yeah, but an awful lot of sharp and abrasive rocks also. That's what did my Ecco's in, besides them being s**t, a nice gash from a rock and in came the water, creeping seep that turned into a flood. What I like about the Meindl is the cordura (I think) "belt" above the sole, which I'm hoping will give better protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Danner Ft. Lewis, greatest boots money can buy.
    Pure quality, use them on my bike and in work aswell.
    The boot will still be in perfect condition when the sole is worn down to nothing.
    Ive owned 3 pairs in 9 years and wear them every day.
    Theyre not too expensive when you take their lifespan into account.
    You can buy the lower ones with zips laced in.
    Dont know if you can get them in the shops here, theyre cheaper ordered online anyway.

]Dont know if you can get them in the shops here, theyre cheaper ordered online anyway.

Nope,tried all over.Usually greeted with "Whaaaaa???":mad:

Nope,tried all over.Usually greeted with "Whaaaaa???":mad:

God forbid would an Irish shop get something different. Most of the so called trekking and hunting boots sold here are for dry conditions. That's great innit.

For a laugh go into your local gun shop and ask for an acu'rzr for .22lr ;) I'm still laughing, wish I'd had a camera.

Aint that a fact??If anyone knows where U can get proper old style oilskin rain wear,please let me know.This Chinese plastic S££$TE that they sell here is total rubbish,along with most rain gear I've come across here:mad:
    A country where it rains 345 days,doesnt have proper raingear for sale.Only in Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 holeyshoe

If your looking for a decent set of boots, id reccomend the German mil-surp boots. Get some good gaters and you can stand in a raging river up to your knees and come out dry.

Downside though is that they need a good polishing after every major hike you do. Ive been wearing my pair day-in day-out for about 2 years and theyre still perfect, a little scuffed but still good.

Took them up Carrauntoohill the other day and came back with dry toes :D. The rest of me was soaked because of that chinese plastic ****e raingear though.

Advertisement