Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding available for mature post-graduates?

Options
  • 24-05-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Almost certain that I couldn't afford to do a Masters...but invloved with a sexual health clinic and would love to do a thesis on Queer theory..or some aspect of it. Could do this via Womens Studies. Does anyone know what funding if any would be available? Very poor financial situation at moment

Comments

Might be worthwhile checking through the resources page stickied at the top - there might be some options open to you to do with the Back to Education Allowance, Tax Relief, or Maintenance Grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks..while I would like to work this cannot be guaranteed..and unemployment assistance and maintenance grants cannot be received together unfortunately. I couldn't live on just a maintenance grant. Have a number of circumstances which inhibit employment..although not yet at least officially registered as a disability

Have you considered doing a masters part-time? You would be able to avail of the tax-relief then, as well as keeping (say) 3 or 4 days wages out of 5.

I just have problems working due to unofficial disability...and while I'm hopeful of working I'm limited. Would love even to do a p.l.c. in Media Studies...but again I couldn't survive without an income!..rock and hard place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 acuv

MMMM..Queer Theory....I didnt know there was one... Is there one for straight people too then:mad:

• Advertisement

Yes it's under Women's Studies at U.L. and U.C.D. It isn't just to do with Sexuality..One can be Queer in ways other than being Gay..for example Transgender..Transvestite..people born with both sexual organs..people who don't conform to conventional gender roles..even if straight..are Queer

And yes I suppose there is a straight theory too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

acuv wrote:
    MMMM..Queer Theory....I didnt know there was one... Is there one for straight people too then:mad:

acuv. If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, please don't post. Anymore comments like this and a ban will follow.

Advertisement