Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU is overheating

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I just put together my new PC build this evening.

After about 15 seconds of booting up, the CPU overheats and shuts down the PC. I went into bios and in the system health section I seen the CPU temp at 90degrees and climbing compared to the case temp of about 38 I think.

The CPU is an E6700 and the motherboard is Gigabyte 965P-DS3P

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thermal paste ?? Did you put some in between the cpu and the heatsink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Did you apply thermal paste to the cpu’s heat sink, very important. Your heat sink may be incorrectly fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've never used thermal paste before. But this time the stock cooler came with some thermal paste all over it.

But I think the cooler might not be sitted right. The way in which it goes in is horribly dodgy. It just pushes in..

Ill try refit it

After 1min inside bios

CPU: 27-31 degrees

Thanks for the help guys.

Another questions. You all recommended applying the paste. Should I go out and buy more paste and put it on it? Or is the stock paste good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

After 1min inside bios

CPU: 27-31 degrees

Thanks for the help guys.

Another questions. You all recommended applying the paste. Should I go out and buy more paste and put it on it? Or is the stock paste good enough?

Get yourself a tube of Coolermaster paste, it comes in a syringe type thing and is east to apply. The heat pads that come with most heatsinks aren't worth sh!t to be honest.

• Advertisement

"THIS DISK DOES NOT CONTAIN A WINDOWS XP-COMPATIBLE PARTITION"

I have two SATA drives plugged in. Do I have to change any bios settings for them or install any SATA drivers? I've never had SATA before :o

edit: Jumper settings maybe?

I took out a harddrive and now its installing windows fine.

So I guess it was some sort of issue maybe related to RAID?

Advertisement