Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

classic catch 22

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Having brought the green giant successfully over from Germany, paid my minimum rate VRT and been assigned a reg number (no sign of the paperwork yet), today I optimistically rang the insurance to get it transferred from the Jimny.

Broker took down the details ...just hang on a second while I get the quote ...

Err sorry ...the insurance wants to know is this a car or a van
    ....it's a car, seats in the back, windows and all, just as it left the factory
    ...alright, I'll check again ...Err sorry ...the insurance doesn't believe me, they say it must be a converted van
    ...no, it isn't, it's a "Transporter", same as the "Caravelle" just with cheap seats
    ...right, I'll check again ...sorry, they can't insure it. You need to get it NCT'd first.
    ...ok, no problem. It's got a new German NCT so it should pass the Irish one just as easily. But tell me this ...how am I going to get it to the NCT without insurance?

...ehhh ...Idon't know ...you should have thought of that before...

:D:D:D

Before?
    Before what?
    Guess I shall drive it to the NCT uninsured then ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Why would it need to be insured to get it NCT'd? Get the guys from the garage to collect it. They will be insured to drive any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah, I know ...but that's part of my point.

Somebody on some kind of insurance can drive that thing ...regardless of age or NCT.

But I'm not supposed to just because I'm the owner and not some pimply garage assistant on a provisional?

After all ...I've only just driven it for a thousand miles, so the insurance company certainly couldn't trust me to drive it two miles down the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Ring them again and just tell them it's a Caravelle, essentially that's what it is. This time only look for a temporary substitution done from the Jimny to cover the trip to the NCT. It'll be less hassle & you'll probably get a different person on the phone.

That's exactly what I had planned on doing, once I got the NCT date :D

...which in itself isn't all that easy either. :rolleyes:

Seenashow the vehicle is in the country all of three days, they of course haven't got in their system yet. In order to get it onto there, you've got to go down to your local NCT centre whith the paperwork (which I haven't even got yet :D ) and register it there and then.

But don't think that you can get it tested then as well, or even get an appointment ....nooo ...you have to wait for three-four days until the entry has filtered down into the central software and THEN you can make an appointment.

Jeeez ...and I thought the Germans were bad when it comes to bureaucracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ask to speak to a supervisor in the centre. Explain them your situation and that you need insurance to drive it to get NCT'd. See what they can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Who are you insured with?

Been with the same broker for years (Stuarts because of the camper) the current insurance for the Jimny is with St. Pauls I believe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I bought a car without an NCT about three years ago and had exactly the same conversation when I tried to change over my insurance.

Me: Hi, I'd like to transfer my insurance to a new car, please.
    Insurance co: Certainly, sir.
    *details of new car are given*
    Insurance co: OK, that's fine. Oh, by the way, does the car have an NCT?
    Me: No, it doesn't.
    Insurance co: Ah, I'm afraid we can't insure it until it passes the NCT.
    Me: OK, so how do I drive it to the NCT centre to do an NCT if you won't insure it?
    Insurance co: Er....

I changed insurance companies.

Advertisement