Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates at polling stations

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

Do many do this? Just when I was going in to vote I saw Derek Keating one of the candidates running for the Dáil in Dublin Mid West as Lucan Educate Together which is a polling station for the election waving and smiling at people as they were going in to vote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jakkass wrote:
    Do many do this? Just when I was going in to vote I saw Derek Keating one of the candidates running for the Dáil in Dublin Mid West as Lucan Educate Together which is a polling station for the election waving and smiling at people as they were going in to vote.
    I think that they can "wave and smile" but it is illegal to canvass within 100metres(?) of a polling station.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think that they can "wave and smile" but it is illegal to canvass within 100metres(?) of a polling station.
    Yep, 50 as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

He was inside the building as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jakkass wrote:
    Casting his ballot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Jakkass wrote:

They're allowed in the station too, they just can't actively persuade you to vote for them within a certain distance of the building on election day. My local FG candidate was in the same classroom as my booth was located in while I was voting, but he wasn't canvassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Casting his ballot. ;)

He was just standing and watching, I didn't personally see him voting himself at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Jakkass wrote:
    He was just standing and watching, I didn't personally see him voting himself at all.

There's nothing wrong with that. Once he didn't ask you to vote for him within 50 metres of the station it's all rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The distance is 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeh, i saw Pat Rabbite and Elizabeth Davidson inside my polling station.
    Funnily enough, Conor Lenihan was outside having his photo taken by Al Jazeera TV on account of his overseas ministry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I worked in a polling station years ago, covering for my ma, and all the candidates came around to press the flesh, so I guess they went to all the other stations in the constituency. Never forget the look on harneys face, bulldog + wasp = you get the picture. Chris Flood and Mervin Taylor were quite friendly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

The distance was 50m according to the presiding officers handbook today.

4 of the candidates in kildare north came into our polling station over the day.

16 hours in a station is draining to say the least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Charlie O'Connor (FF) was ignoring the 'no canvassing materials within 50 metres' rule at Ard Mhuire school on Cookstown road anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Charlie O'Connor (FF) was ignoring the 'no canvassing materials within 50 metres' rule at Ard Mhuire school on Cookstown road anyway.
    If this does happen in future, just have a workd with the Garda in the polling station and they'll get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Agent J wrote:
    4 of the candidates in kildare north came into our polling station over the day.

Snap! Hmmm, wonder if we were at the same station.

Advertisement