Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Turn-out - bad for Government?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Bond-007 wrote:
    I had to ballot stuff at 11 am. High turnout is indeed on the cards!
    The ballot papers have got physically larger since they started putting mug shots on them:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

fricatus wrote:
    Because he's our arrogant asshole, that's why!

For 20 years we in Waterford have had to put up with crumbs from the government table. Until about 2003, not a sod was turned on a national road within 20 miles of this city. At the same time, the Jack Lynch tunnel, Quincentennial Bridge in Galway, the dual carriageway into Sligo, etc., were all being built. Nothing here. Then Cullen gets in and now we have a new outer ring road, plus a second river crossing and a motorway being built to Dublin. All justified, but would we have got what we deserved without a cabinet minister? Of course not!

That's why people voted for Cullen and will vote for him again this time.
    If only willie o dea had gotten anything for limerick who knows were we would be, our only minister is minister for defence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'd say that its just because it is close, and has been hyped by the media. It is nearly impossible to tell who it will favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

I'd say that its just because it is close, and has been hyped by the media. It is nearly impossible to tell who it will favour.

I was involved in the polling station side of things (administering voting in station) and got the distinct impression that FF were seriously worried. All FF candidates who came in looked decidedly uneasy. Turnout was phenomenal with queues stretching out door for a 2 hour period.

A number of strange occurrences also with individuals appearing claiming to be acting for such and such a candidate (FF) but disappearing as soon as they were asked for ID.

I have a very uneasy feeling about this election and how it was administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

the election of tds who are colossal fcukups such as cullen and roche illustrate that the gombeen irish man is alive and well as our parish pump politics
    Dont forget pigfarmer man Ned O' Keefe in Cork East,a shame on the County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rebeller wrote:
    I have a very uneasy feeling about this election and how it was administered.

How do you mean exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Rebeller wrote:
    I was involved in the polling station side of things (administering voting in station) and got the distinct impression that FF were seriously worried. All FF candidates who came in looked decidedly uneasy.

I have to second this.

I was working on a polling station in kildare north and FF candidates and their agents where in the opinion of whomever was in charge overall of the station asking too many questions about the spefics of which parts of the area where voting and all workers were told only to answer with the current percentage and direct all questions back to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

nesf wrote:
    How do you mean exactly?

For example, it was quite clear that those working at the other stations in my centre were very obviously politically aligned. I was concerned about the lax attitudes taken by certain staff towards voting regulations and procedure. I had to intervene in one instance (which was not particularly in my remit) to highlight a certain discrepancy in how an a polling station staff member was dealing with a prescribed situation.

FF also sent an agent to observe the sealing of boxes at close of poll (which is within their right to do to ensure a fair and well run vote), something which I have never experienced before. There were too many people claiming to be who they were clearly not who disappeared as soon as challenged.

FF has big debts to pay (and I don't just mean in the sense of money debts) with those who have elevated ahern to taoiseach expecting payback for their economic and media support. Ahern has been put in power by some very powerful interests (including foreign groups and individuals).

If FF are returned to power it will be the beginning of the end of this country's democratic, social and economic future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Ok rebeller i think you are possibly going a little too conspiracy theory there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jeez Rebeller, that doesn't sound good at all! The beginning of the end of democracy, society, and economy!!!

Henny penny the sky is falling! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

upmeath wrote:
    What a wonderful arsehole you have for yourselves there, good on you Fricatus, up the Deise, down the Cullen.
    funny.
    looking at the poll in the waterford forum the arsehole is the flavour of the day, although hopefully its just a reflection of that particular electoral ward. (the folks with the shiney celtic tiger medallions on loan from the local credit union)
    Truth is the candidates are from slim pickings and I think most would give a safe vote to cullen. regardless of what party he is.
    anyway..looking forward to the results tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

*puts on tin foil hat*

Rebeller wrote:
    If FF are returned to power it will be the beginning of the end of this country's democratic, social and economic future.

Eh... You know there will be another election in five years don't you?

Vote up in middle class areas, not much change in working class areas according to the Irish Times: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/0525/1179498782037.html?digest=1

This is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes well you don't tend to get canidates bothering thier arses to go into working class areas to canvas.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Yes well you don't tend to get canidates bothering thier arses to go into working class areas to canvas.

People earlier in the thread were suggesting that it might be possible that the increased turnout was down to an increased turnout in working class areas. That was what I was trying to address.

Advertisement