Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

some more questions..

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Just have to say this forum is great to bouce stuff off.. i'd never remember all of these questions if i was to go to my instructor.. i've a few more.. (test in 5 days time)
    • 3 point turn - am i supposed to use the handbrake when completing turn 1 and 2? I seen this on some test video from an english site.. i'd imagine it's a little OTT, if you are on flat ground?

• reversing around corner - when travelling from 1st into 2nd, i'll rest my foot on the clutch (not touching it - hovering).. i've been told to take my foot away completely by my instructor which is harsh imo, as first is only used for a split second?

• is it ok to hover over the clutch? i've a habit of doing this when in 1st/2nd/3rd i.e stopping/starting in towns and streets.. and been told not to as the tester might think it's on the clutch - which is grand - but surely if my foot was on the clutch you'd know by the rev's and feel of the car?

• what happens if wing mirrors are fogged up or have rain on them - do i have to stop and wipe/clear them as i can't use them?

• can the radio be on at a very low volume, just to ease the tension and make things less formal?

• at a stop sign, on level ground, again i've been told to use the handbrake - surely it's unnecessary?! Assuming i come to a complete stop, are the brakes not sufficient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smemon wrote:
    can the radio be on at a very low volume, just to ease the tension and make things less formal?
    The radio should be off. If it's on, the tester may request that you switch it off. It's so that you can't argue that you didn't hear his/her instructions properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

have my test tomorrow now :)

when doing the 3 point turn, do you have to indicate when finishing the move (i.e when you're almost facing right, do you have to indicate right?)

that's about it.. pass or fail i'll give a detailed analysis of my test tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

smemon wrote:
    when doing the 3 point turn, do you have to indicate when finishing the move (i.e when you're almost facing right, do you have to indicate right?)

Nope.

Stark wrote:
    Nope.

good stuff, that would have been my natural decision :)

well, i passed :cool:

i was expecting to though..

got 3 blue faults - one for speeding; 35mph in 30 zone :rolleyes:

and two for stopping/slowing down, probably because i crept up slightly behind cars once lights turned green and they hadn't moved yet.

just like to thank all you guys on this forum for the help - it's a great resource to have for a learner driver :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Hey congratulations!!! :)

I'm surprised you weren't given a grade 3 for speed limit, but that's all in the past now :D

Good luck in your quest to drive our nation's crappy roads

swingking wrote:
    Hey congratulations!!! :)

I'm surprised you weren't given a grade 3 for speed limit, but that's all in the past now :D

Good luck in your quest to drive our nation's crappy roads

there'd have been war had i been given a grade 3 for speed :)

at no stage did i go above 35 in a 30 zone (speedo is in miles). Most of the time it was bang on 30.

I find it incredibly difficult to stick at 30 when on a big wide road, with a huge tailback of traffic behind me :D

I figure the guards wouldn't pull me for 35 in a 30 zone, so i didn't think the tester would mind too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

smemon wrote:
    • 3 point turn - am i supposed to use the handbrake when completing turn 1 and 2? I seen this on some test video from an english site.. i'd imagine it's a little OTT, if you are on flat ground?
    Use handbrake if to help to stop rolling back or forward if necessary. The other reason some folk use the handbrake is to give enough time (or as a reminder) not to rush too much and forget to look all around before starting the 2nd or 3rd stages
    • reversing around corner - when travelling from 1st into 2nd, i'll rest my foot on the clutch (not touching it - hovering).. i've been told to take my foot away completely by my instructor which is harsh imo, as first is only used for a split second?
    Some examiners will fault for this. They like to be able to see the clutch pedal. I would agree that they should know without this, but to give you the best chance your better to keep your foot on the floor away from the pedal
    • is it ok to hover over the clutch? i've a habit of doing this when in 1st/2nd/3rd i.e stopping/starting in towns and streets.. and been told not to as the tester might think it's on the clutch - which is grand - but surely if my foot was on the clutch you'd know by the rev's and feel of the car?
    See above answer
    • what happens if wing mirrors are fogged up or have rain on them - do i have to stop and wipe/clear them as i can't use them?
    No but you may wish to do this for your reverse manoeuvre
    • can the radio be on at a very low volume, just to ease the tension and make things less formal?
    NO
    • at a stop sign, on level ground, again i've been told to use the handbrake - surely it's unnecessary?! Assuming i come to a complete stop, are the brakes not sufficient?
    Unneccessary on level ground. I usually advise to come to a complete stop and count 4 seconds befor moving off (always looking carefully)

Hope this helps - good luck

/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smemon wrote:
    well, i passed :cool:
    Well done smemon.
    He/she passed sever hours before you posted! ;)

yeah, i passed yesterday, but cheers anyway for the advice, hopefully it will be of use to other people also :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement