Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protest vote: spoil or don't bother?

Options
  • 24-05-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Having done some research on the candidates in my area, i can safely say that i feel absolutely none of them represent me and as such i don't think that voting for the 'least worst' candidate is a good idea. Aside from that i don't feel that ticking a box every few years and hoping for the best is in any way real democracy.

My options now are to either not bother voting at all, or to go along and spoil my vote. But are either of these options actually effective in registering as any kind of protest? Aren't most spoiled votes put down to mistakes? And isn't a low voter turnout put down to apathy? Is there any real way to register a protest vote? Do you think there should be a 'protest vote' box on the ballot slip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Who or what are you protesting against?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

... i don't feel that ticking a box every few years and hoping for the best is in any way real democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Go ahead spoil your vote, then jump on a plane down to Zimbabwe's, President Mugabe LOVES people like you. You might even see people who have a right to be angry dwarf's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

'Cause nothing wins an argument like throwing out a Mugabe reference. Or comparing something to the Holocaust. :rolleyes:

I'd say spoil it. Add an extra box on the bottom and vote for Mr. Tayto or "None of the above" or some such. People not turning out at all is generally put down to apathy; spoils are partially put down to error, but at least your vote will have done something and will be counted in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You don't want to vote? Then don't. Why waste the time going to the polling station if you are going to spoil your vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

spoil it - vote for dustin the turkey
    or just put in an empty slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Spoil it , proves your not just lazy..

shay_562 wrote:
    'Cause nothing wins an argument like throwing out a Mugabe reference. Or comparing something to the Holocaust. :rolleyes:

I'd say spoil it. Add an extra box on the bottom and vote for Mr. Tayto or "None of the above" or some such. People not turning out at all is generally put down to apathy; spoils are partially put down to error, but at least your vote will have done something and will be counted in some way.

It was not ment to be unspeak but a fact that votes have value. In some parts of this world that value extends to peoples lives. You dont have to go as far as Arfica either, just ask your grandparents.

Look its no wonder the same stooges get in all the time. I am looking out the window here, I live right next door to a polling station, its old timer, after old timer, after old timer. And you can bet your bottom dollar who they are voting for - conservative government. Dwarfy is looking for change, well he wont get it unless he at least voids one of those votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just stay at home. Spoiling your vote does not register a protest at all. It goes in the same pile as the old women who add an extra box for de Valera.

Don't bother.

BTW, do many countries have a 'none of the above' option on their ballot papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

If you have a message you want to be heard, write on your ballot paper telling off the parties you want to tell off. If it's just that you don't feel you're getting any value for your vote because no party/candidate appeals to you, run independent in the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

upmeath wrote:
    If you have a message you want to be heard, write on your ballot paper telling off the parties you want to tell off.

Why? So that you register your disapproval with the vote counters? Nobody else will be seeing them!

DaveMcG wrote:
    Why? So that you register your disapproval with the vote counters? Nobody else will be seeing them!

According to other posters in this forum, the Returning Officer must validate all spoilt votes, and he/she will more than likely have tallymen looking over his/her shoulder as they do so, meaning somebody pretty high up in the party in question is going to see why that voter feels disaffected, perhaps over their stance on some important local issue. And who knows, maybe if they see a couple dozen spoilt votes with the same angry messages on them they'll cop on a bit.

Eg. "Dear Mr. FF/PD candidate, I would have voted for you only you didn't do X for BallyXYZ even though you said you would last time out when your party went into power, so this time you've lost X number of votes from the BallyXYZ electorate, I hope you're happy you corrupt fcuk!"

upmeath wrote:
    According to other posters in this forum, the Returning Officer must validate all spoilt votes, and he/she will more than likely have tallymen looking over his/her shoulder as they do so, meaning somebody pretty high up in the party in question is going to see why that voter feels disaffected, perhaps over their stance on some important local issue. And who knows, maybe if they see a couple dozen spoilt votes with the same angry messages on them they'll cop on a bit.

Eg. "Dear Mr. FF/PD candidate, I would have voted for you only you didn't do X for BallyXYZ even though you said you would last time out when your party went into power, so this time you've lost X number of votes from the BallyXYZ electorate, I hope you're happy you corrupt fcuk!"

No dont vote, scribble your little messages on the big people's stationary. Politicians dont want people like you voting, you are too unpredictable. Do you notice why there are no election posters in the poorer neighbourhood's, they dont want them to know there is an election on. Do you know why they use that language you dont like or understand, they dont want you to understand. Your message will be so funny when the clerk grade counter reads it (for the umpteenth time). Funnier still will be when you are paying the salaries, with your taxes, of the people the old timers (long since deseased) have put in power.

Look the fact your on this site shows you are thinking alot more than your statements suggest. Get out there and vote, if not just to p1ss off one of the old timers who came into town for the first time this year to vote.

Voting is not just about electing people, its about being heard, so that next time they speak, they will speak to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

upmeath wrote:

That's true, but wouldn't you achieve an even better result by voting against him and then writing to him as follows:
    "Dear Mr. FF/PD candidate, I would have voted for you only you didn't do X for BallyXYZ even though you said you would last time out when your party went into power, so this time you've lost X number of votes from the BallyXYZ electorate which went to your rival, Ms FG/Lab/Green/SF, I hope you're happy you corrupt fcuk!"
    The big parties compile detailed tallies of votes from each ballot box so local trends will be spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I always see spoilt votes as a sign of stupidity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Such a generalisation in itself is equally stupid.

I've always felt we should have a "none of the above" on the ballot sheet because I'm sure many spoiled votes are in fact protest votes.

Frankly, it doesn't make a jot of difference if your picking between spoiling your vote or not voting at all. The former will be put down to error and any comment you make on it won't be seen by anyone other than the counter and the latter will be put down to apathy or laziness.

So it's your call, really, because no-one will hear your protest either way. That said, if you also believe that a Thursday polling day was a bad idea you should just not turn up - that way you'll contribute to any potential low turnout and maybe make a show of Bertie's idea of democracy.

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    That's true, but wouldn't you achieve an even better result by voting against him and then writing to him as follows:
    "Dear Mr. FF/PD candidate, I would have voted for you only you didn't do X for BallyXYZ even though you said you would last time out when your party went into power, so this time you've lost X number of votes from the BallyXYZ electorate which went to your rival, Ms FG/Lab/Green/SF, I hope you're happy you corrupt fcuk!"
    The big parties compile detailed tallies of votes from each ballot box so local trends will be spotted.

That's true, that would be the ultimate way of hammering the message through to your local Liar/FF/PD/Property Developer TD (or hopefully former TD)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Do you notice why there are no election posters in the poorer neighbourhood's, they dont want them to know there is an election on

What?! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

With regard to the OP, I think spoiling a vote is a pretty pathetic protest. If no-one appeals to you but you still feel strongly, you should run as an independant or picket the polling place.

As far as I know, Australia has compulsory voting with a "none of the above" box. It's a good idea if you ask me, but I think it could also lead to people who aren't interested in politics choosing candidates at random

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

flogen wrote:
    Such a generalisation in itself is equally stupid.

I've always felt we should have a "none of the above" on the ballot sheet because I'm sure many spoiled votes are in fact protest votes.

Frankly, it doesn't make a jot of difference if your picking between spoiling your vote or not voting at all. The former will be put down to error and any comment you make on it won't be seen by anyone other than the counter and the latter will be put down to apathy or laziness.

So it's your call, really, because no-one will hear your protest either way. That said, if you also believe that a Thursday polling day was a bad idea you should just not turn up - that way you'll contribute to any potential low turnout and maybe make a show of Bertie's idea of democracy.
    Agreed. Regarding your last point, mabye complaining about the Thursday vote on a spoilt ballot would be a better way of getting the message across.

upmeath wrote:
    That's true, that would be the ultimate way of hammering the message through to your local Liar/FF/PD/Property Developer TD (or hopefully former TD)

So the plan is put a little message on the ballot paper, the local Liar/FF/PD/Property Developer TD will get sad and quit, is that it?

The only way they become a
    upmeath wrote:
    former TD

is if you vote them out.

Now if you want to really upset them, Vote greens or sin feinn, and know that if they need either of those parties to make up numbers, they WILL be upset.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Regarding your last point, mabye complaining about the Thursday vote on a spoilt ballot would be a better way of getting the message across.

Well it would if anyone of importance read it - but you're also defeating your own point (in that you turned up so it couldn't have been that hard to vote on a Thursday).

By staying at home, and if it happens in larger than usual numbers, people will start to say "it's not just laziness, many people couldn't make it to their homes due to college, exams or the long commute".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

If you're going to spoil your vote, dont just add another box - that's kinda lame. Instead, put Pi, square root 16, log10 and maybe throw in a quadratic equation or two. For science.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I might make a joke once the count is over. (I hope I can make it :) )

IMO if you want to spoil your vote you can, it would be more stupid not to vote at all. It shows you have taken an interest and that you aren't to happy with the current crop of politicans. However that should lead you to go up for election.

VOTE TAYTO OR FOR SPAR IN THE ORDER OF YOUR CHOICE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Fremen wrote:
    What?! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

With regard to the OP, I think spoiling a vote is a pretty pathetic protest. If no-one appeals to you but you still feel strongly, you should run as an independant or picket the polling place.

As far as I know, Australia has compulsory voting with a "none of the above" box. It's a good idea if you ask me, but I think it could also lead to people who aren't interested in politics choosing candidates at random
    Australia is one of 33 countries with manditory voting, but there is no None of The Above option

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Elmo wrote:
    It shows you have taken an interest and that you aren't to happy with the current crop of politicans.

exactly.
    Elmo wrote:
    However that should lead you to go up for election.

A few have said this. I disagree. It may spur others into becoming independent candidates. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to run yourself.

Quick. You have 8 minutes. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Australia is one of 33 countries with manditory voting, but there is no None of The Above option

I'd be completely opposed to that - I'm open to the merits of the mandatory vote but if you're going to force someone to go they should at least have the option of clearly registering their apathy at the electoral system.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

cheers for all the comments, a lot of good points raised. after a bit more research into the candidates i actually did find someone i felt might make a difference and gave my vote to them (didnt go for any 2,3,4 etc)
    i still feel the current 'tick the box and hope' method is a long way from real democracy where politicians are more accountable and people have a more active role in decisions that affect thier lives. but in the context of this election alone, i'd rather have someone new in power than not vote at all and change nothing. i agree with previous comments about my disillusionment with the current voting system and irish politics in general being best expressed through correspondance with a local TD. spoiling/not voting was tempting to do on principal, but in reality wouldn't really acheive anything.
    i do feel that a 'none of the above' option should be included, and i might have gone for that had it been an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AidoCQS wrote:
    Do you notice why there are no election posters in the poorer neighbourhood's, they dont want them to know there is an election on.
    Paranoid much? Can't say I've noticed any areas devoid of campaign posters, but if this is the situation I'd argue that it's much more likely they don't appear in poorer neighbourhoods because they've been vandalised/destroyed.
    flogen wrote:
    "None of the above" is a good idea when you can reject all of the options - think Presidential election or referendum. If more people select "None of the above" than any of the candidates, then nobody gets in, and the election starts again.

In a transferable system like this though, it can't work. The seats *must* be filled. Would you propose that anyone who gets less votes than the "None of the above" total gets instantly eliminated? If so, what happens if seats can't be filled?
    In the current system, if you have four seats, 10 candidates, and only four people vote in a constituency (for example!), then four candidates will still get in. If we bring the NOTA option, what happens when the rest of the constituency votes NOTA, and nobody gets in? New election? Elect the most popular non-elected candidates from the other constituencies?

As for spoiling your vote, it's pointless. You're better off staying at home. The only person who'll know or care what you did with your vote is you. Nobody who gives two ****s will read anything you write, nobody will give a **** about the total number of spoiled votes, and anyone who does look at the total will consider it to be idiots who didn't know how to fill out a card.

If you want to protest against all of the candidates up for election, then you don't vote. If you want to protest against particular candidates, then fill in a preference for every other candidate on your ballot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

upmeath wrote:

You could do that, but voting for someone else will hurt "Mr. FF/PD candidate" far more as unlike a spoilt vote it might just prevent him from getting re-elected..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

*edits*....after a bit more research into the candidates i actually did find someone i felt might make a difference and gave my vote to them (didnt go for any 2,3,4 etc)
    i still feel the current 'tick the box and hope' method is a long way from real democracy....*edits

Nobody knows what you did in that booth.

But if you "didn't go for any 2,3,4 etc" and "tick[ed] the box" for the "them" you felt might make a difference then, you Sir would have spoilt your vote :eek:

But perhaps I'm reading this wrong and making too many presumptions and assumptions.

Advertisement