Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Live... live!

• 24-05-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Basically wondering what I need to get Ableton Live up and running as part of a band. I'm mostly interested in using it for soft synths and such as well as using pre-recorded samples and loops. It would be in a band setting with other instruments (guitar, bass, drums etc).

Firstly, would ableton be the best software for doing this?

Secondly, I have a laptop (pretty fast, core 2 duo, 2gb RAM, fast HD etc)... Latency with the built in sound is ****e so I was wondering what kind of interface I should go for with.

Thirdly, in terms of verstality, I'm tied up between a Korg TR61 or a full size midi controller (88key) with no built in sounds of its own. Which do you think would be the better buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Firstly, would ableton be the best software for doing this?

In my opinion, definatly. It is the fantastic powerfull, stable, versitile software.

When you say, to get it set up, what do you mean exactly?

I think once you have it installed, and decide on your midi control surface, you should practice lots, and make templates with your midi mappings.

Latency with Apple laptops isnt such an issue so Ill presume youre using a Windows laptop.
    For an interface there are lots of options. M-Audio do some great budget options. I use an m-audio firewire audiophile, and it is fracking great.
    You could also consider an echo indigo, mbox, Emu 0404 USB, focusrite saphire, motu ultralite, new or second hand.

For a controller, dont forget you could get multiple controllers, like a midi keyboard, and a midi knob box like a UC33e.

It sounds like you need keys for synths aswell as knobs and sliders, maybe even buttons for triggering loops etc, but mobility must not be an issue if youre considering an 88.

Personally, I dont think that Korg is suitable at all.
    If I was in your position I would almost definatly go for an advanced midi controller keyboard.
    Here are some suggestions:

Korg Kontrol 49:
    b2ff13f6d64f3bbe276ee20e0da02ad0.jpg
    (or the new AKAI MPK49 which is similar)

Novation Remote range:
    ReMOTESLSubheader.jpg
    remotefront800.jpg

or on a budget, M-Audio:

Axiom 49:
    axiom49.jpg

Oxygen 49: This model is only about 180 euro new.
    oxygen49.jpg

Also, consider all-in-one Midi controllers with built in Audio/Midi interfaces. Pretty kool yolks IMO. Heres 2 from M-Audio:

Ozone
    ozone.jpg

Ozonic
    ozonic_large.jpg

One other box worth mentioning is the UC33, which gives you a sh1t load of knobs, sliders and buttons for about a hundred quid.
    evolution_uc33_1.gif

I strongly reccommend you check out www.abletonlivedj.com/forum for more advice. It's not just DJs, we have plenty of performers and producers too.
    There is a beginners guide to DJ'ing with Ableton Live in the ALDJ FAQ, which will show you a lot about how you might use Live in a live environment.

Good place to look for gear:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/index.html?sid=35686040785ff114944a214167d8d9c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

I was looking at that... its fairly hefty but combined with the Korg PadKontrol I already have thats about as much control as I'll reckon I'll ever need.

Advertisement