Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronnie O Brien

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He was asked to join the squad and refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

seansouth wrote:
    He was asked to join the squad and refused.

did this stem from the brian kerr days?

He was asked to join the squad in America, but refused.

I don't know, or care about, the back story.

seansouth wrote:
    He was asked to join the squad in America, but refused.

I don't know, or care about, the back story.

em...thanks for that

No problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he broke a curfew while on international duty with one of the underage sides and was sent home. he subsequently retired from international football at all levels.

Something like that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wikipedia wrote:
    Time Magazine stunt

Excerpted:

In August 1999, Time Magazine in the United States conducted an internet poll to find the Person of the Century. Mischievous friends in Bray sent an e-mail urging Irish people to vote for Ronnie O'Brien. O'Brien vaulted his way to the top of the standings, beating out such notables as Albert Einstein, Martin Luther King and Bill Clinton. Then there was a computer crash, which Time said was a result of too many people voting online at once. Instead of being named Person of the Century, O'Brien was taken out of the running, because Time officials said not enough people had heard of him. The official rules stated, "whimsical candidates will not be counted."[1]

ya can always trust us Irish to pull something like that. pity he wouldn't play, he deserves a cap just for that.

He deserves a cap because some idiots started a stupid email spam campaign to get him voted man of the year?

I suppose if some fella deserves a cap for playing amateur soccer in the USA then Ronnie deserves a cap for that alright.

in fairness he has been one of the most consistent players in MLS for Dallas for the last few years (apart from when he was out injured).
    given the state of the players staunton has called up it is perfectly resonable to suggest O'Brien deserves a chance, not because of some internet poll.the fact that he didnt accept it is an entirely different matter

I didn't say he didn't deserve a call up. If he's been doing it at the level of MLS, then he probably deserved to be called up.

But the previous poster suggested he deserved a call up because of the Time Magazine thing.

WTF :confused:

(ah, maybe I see your confusion. When I was referring to amateur USA players, I was referring to Joe Lapira)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    But the previous poster suggested he deserved a call up because of the Time Magazine thing.
    He does in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

He must have shown some promise if Juve bought him after a couple of years in the Boro reserves.

eirebhoy wrote:
    He does in fairness.
    As spurious Stan reasons go, I suppose it's a pretty good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

:D

In all seriousness though. I watched him play for Toronto last week. He's on a different wavelength to the rest of the players (half the team have played in England - Robinson, Welsh, Dichio and a couple more). Definitely good enough for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

seansouth wrote:

WTF :confused:

oh for god's sake lighten up will ya? you can't actually think i was being serious? or do i have to insert one of them sh*tty smiley faces for people to realise i'm taking the piss...

edit: unless of course you were taking the piss making me look like a right eedjit. boards are confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

To clarify...

He was asked to train with the squad but release was refused by his club, not the player, because he's on the road to recovery from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The San Jose Earthquakes announced Thursday that the team has acquired midfielder Ronnie O'Brien from Toronto FC in exchange for a first round draft pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft and allocation money.

"Ronnie O'Brien adds a proven offensive threat to our team," said general manager John Doyle. "He has a great engine with a mind to go forward. His attacking mentality will keep opposing defenses honest and create a lot of opportunities for us."

During his six years playing in MLS, O'Brien has played 114 regular season games and seven postseason games. O'Brien is a four-time All-Star and has scored 12 goals recorded 39 assists.

O'Brien began his professional career at the age of 18 with Middlesbrough in the English Premier League. He spent two years with Middlesbrough before signing a five-year contract with Juventus of the Italian Serie A.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=512209&cc=5739

I wonder would Trapattoni have any knowledge of him from the Italy days, hardly likely but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a great player. Really could have done with someone like him over the past two or three years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he must have some gang of mates in bray, these lads are legends!

is he actually any good? would he make the ireland squad if he was picked/put himself up for selection? i have never seen him play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Last I heard (in an indirect quote from himself) he was waiting on citizenship to declare for the USA. Of course, if he went to Canada in the meantime that might have messed that up for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement