Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Balls, Curry Sauce and Chips in South Dublin

• 24-05-2007 9:39pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭

Where is good when you have a burning desire for this classic??

When living in town I used to use the golden orient in camden st, which did their own curry sauce and quality slices of chicken breast in golden brown batter.

So far out this way I've only found places that do the bright yellow
    curry sauce from a packet and anaemic chicken balls. Who can help me out?
    Clonskeagh/stillorgan/kilmacud/dundrum/sandyford area if possible but
    am willing to travel for quality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Chicken Balls, Curry Sauce and Chips != quality.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cast_iron wrote:
    Chicken Balls, Curry Sauce and Chips != quality.

I beg to differ!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sunkist in Clonskeagh opposite O'Sheas. Damn good after a few jars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Perhaps the greatest foodstuff of all time.
    But fried rice instead of chips.

feylya wrote:
    Sunkist in Clonskeagh opposite O'Sheas. Damn good after a few jars.

will try that one, used to go to the one up near the back gate of UCD, but for some reason it is good quality for everything except the chicken balls and curry sauce.

• Advertisement

:)
    Perhaps the greatest foodstuff of all time.
    But fried rice instead of chips.

i like the rice sometimes, but not as easy to eat when walking. I often wake up the morning after with burnt fingers and mouth from dipping the chicken balls in the cup of curry sauce up to my knuckles and then shoving them in my mouth cos my fingers are buring! i'm a classy guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭wba88

tai ping in churchtown, next to four star pizza.
    thier curry sauce is the best!!

copacetic wrote:
    will try that one, used to go to the one up near the back gate of UCD
    That'd be Yumi's.
    Another run-of-the-mill chinese. It's very difficult to get a decent chinese takeaway; the restaurants tend to be much higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I find it amazing everytime I'm collecting in a Chinese, a huge majority of people
    are collecting this muck. Most Chinese menus have a decent variety of meals yet somehow battered chicken dumped in oil is the most popular meal. The Chinese must think we are all mad.

I find it amazing everytime I'm collecting in a Chinese, a huge majority of people
    are collecting this muck. Most Chinese menus have a decent variety of meals yet somehow battered chicken dumped in oil is the most popular meal. The Chinese must think we are all mad.

well in fairness it wouldn't be what I normally have from a chinese, but no harm having something like this in your rotation! have to say I seldom see anyone sober collecting or ordering it either, certainly not a 'huge majority'. I have to call bs on your polling data I'm afraid..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Im ashamed. I always have the best intention to order something better, but that battery goodness always prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lees kitchen in dalkey (near the dart) do nice chicken balls, really light batter. But the chips are standard chinese stuff, huge bag of mediocre ones. Sauce is OK, the usual.

Jumbo's in stillorgan (near nimble fingers, bike shop, & bowler) do amazing chips, they are more like "chinese fried potatoes" if there is such a thing, they are big wedges of proper potato (not frozen chips like most). You get lots. The chicken balls are big and doughy.
    Treasures in stillorgan (on the hill) are Ok too, their normal chinese food is amazing, really freshly cooked - not stewed.

Some hate big doughy ones, but they are good if you need a good filling, like doughnuts!

I love it when the tracksuit young lads come in, scour over the menu for fecking ages, discussing everything and then-
    -"ehhh I'll have the chicken balls curry sauce chips"

Most Chinese menus have a decent variety of meals yet somehow battered chicken dumped in oil is the most popular meal.
    Many dont like chinese food, and this is not chinese food, it is like chipper food except you get a savage portion for a good price.
    The chinese should give better descriptions, I tried many ones I never had before and they were lovely, some people think "chicken & beansprouts", will be just that, 2 ingredients, many dishes are named like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

The Zen in Rathmines do a good chicken ball if I may say so myself!
    Not too greasy, and the batter is nice and light.

rubadub wrote:
    Lees kitchen in dalkey (near the dart) do nice chicken balls, really light batter. But the chips are standard chinese stuff, huge bag of mediocre ones. Sauce is OK, the usual.

Jumbo's in stillorgan (near nimble fingers, bike shop, & bowler) do amazing chips, they are more like "chinese fried potatoes" if there is such a thing, they are big wedges of proper potato (not frozen chips like most). You get lots. The chicken balls are big and doughy.
    Treasures in stillorgan (on the hill) are Ok too, their normal chinese food is amazing, really freshly cooked - not stewed.

Some hate big doughy ones, but they are good if you need a good filling, like doughnuts!

I love it when the tracksuit young lads come in, scour over the menu for fecking ages, discussing everything and then-
    -"ehhh I'll have the chicken balls curry sauce chips"

Many dont like chinese food, and this is not chinese food, it is like chipper food except you get a savage portion for a good price.
    The chinese should give better descriptions, I tried many ones I never had before and they were lovely, some people think "chicken & beansprouts", will be just that, 2 ingredients, many dishes are named like that.

have tried the jumbo for normal chineses and was ok, but I think they are closed down now? or at least are closing soon?

copacetic wrote:
    have tried the jumbo for normal chineses and was ok, but I think they are closed down now? or at least are closing soon?
    Know them well.

The closing is probably due to numerous health violations (somewhat tasty actually, but the usual sh1te really)....you know the rumours actually mean something after a while...

cast_iron wrote:
    Know them well.

The closing is probably due to numerous health violations (somewhat tasty actually, but the usual sh1te really)....you know the rumours actually mean something after a while...

not sure about that, I think their premises has been sold to a bigger name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Grace's Garden in Shankill do a delicious curry sauce. Could eat it forever... Yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

copacetic wrote:
    Not sure, havent been there in a good while, dont live near them anymore. They were always closed for a month at a time a lot, refurbing, and for chinese new year, though that was a few months ago.

Advertisement