Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protection against STIs for women

Options
  • 24-05-2007 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

This may seem like a bit of a naive question for a 20 year old to be asking, but It's something that's really stuck me.

My question is regarding how women who participate in sexual intercourse with members of the same gender (I'm sure this doesn't just include lesbians and bisexuals). Well, we all know that in order to protect yourself from STIs with men you use a condom, but is there anything similar that can be used to protect yourself while having sex with a woman? Would the female condom suffice? Is there actually any way of preventing the exchenge of bodily fluids as a woman having sex with other women, or do you just have to be careful if you don't want this to happen?

Questions, questions.

I'm sure you guys have an obvious answer to this question, any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

First point, I'm 22 and I'm still finding out new stuff in relation to Sex and Sexual health, so don't worry about asking.

Anyway, I'm a guy. But From what I've picked up, its apparently important not to share sex toy's or at least insure they are fully cleaned. Also you can get dental damns for oral sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

That's great, thanks. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'In real life' though, although dams and finger cots are available, women (in my experience) rarely use them.

Most people would be fairly good on basic hygiene things like not sharing toys without a condom on them or not using fingers or toys in more than one place without washing in between. Some women would have a box of latex gloves handy (which are always fun) but in general, dams etc. are not regularly used.

Advertisement