Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

postperson wrote: »
    Just in case anyone's still waiting to hear, I recieved a letter from DCC on Wednesday saying I had been unsuccessful in the recent draws. I applied for Donnybrook, Miltown & all the ones on the Quays.

Anyone heard of someone who was offered a place from the June/July newsletter?

I got offered a place on the quays. Although this is my third draw,so I have been on the list for a good while
    I got those "unsuccessful" letters my self twice. But you will get an offer eventually,probably in the next lot of draws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Received an offer from Dundalk Town Council for a 2 bed ground floor apartment in the Lis Na Dara development, Carrick Road, Dundalk. Happy me! Have to put down a €9,100 deposit to secure it. Price is €182,000. Actual price on the market is €240,000.:)

If you are offered an affordable house in a private development, should it be finished to the same standard specification (same fitted kitchen etc) as the same house that you would buy on the open market? Are there rules in the scheme that a builder must do this?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    If you are offered an affordable house in a private development, should it be finished to the same standard specification (same fitted kitchen etc) as the same house that you would buy on the open market? Are there rules in the scheme that a builder must do this?
    I think that the finished item should be close to the same standard as others, though there may be some differences, depending on agreements with relevant CoCo.

The house I've been awarded, which is on a private development, is wooden framed, while the rest are all block built. However, the rest are "builders finish" (no kitchen or fireplace/stove) whereas mine has a kitchen and fire stove fitted, as agreed with the CoCo. Externally, houses look same.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Specificly no. If a developer is putting in €800 wash hand basins with €400 (each) taps, you are unlikely to get these in the affordable housing version.

You may however find that the council has been more strict with the builder on building standards.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor: Specificly no. If a developer is putting in €800 wash hand basins with €400 (each) taps, you are unlikely to get these in the affordable housing version.

You may however find that the council has been more strict with the builder on building standards.

Rang the council about this (Dundalk Town) and they said it should be finished to the same spec. Maybe it is different for each council area as to what they agree with the builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The council often agrees to a lower spec in order to reduce the initial entry cost and therefore make the affordable units suitable for more people. My apt for example came with same kitchen units but without any wardrobes or tiling which were provided in private units. To my eternal annoyance they also put in door bells instead of an intercom system in an apartment building!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

well the properties should be priced differently if they are spec'd differently. due to the claw back you would be at a loss if you were getting alower spec that is valued at the same as the others

Wondering why though should the affordable home in a private development be speced lower? Isn't the whole idea of affordable housing designed so you can buy an identical property at the cost price instead of the market price with the clawback designed to stop you making a big profit through a quick sale?

How does the Part V system work? Does the council buy an allocated number of units off the developer at full price and then sell them at the subsidised price to suitable applicants?

Wondering why though should the affordable home in a private development be speced lower? Isn't the whole idea of affordable housing designed so you can buy an identical property at the cost price instead of the market price with the clawback designed to stop you making a big profit through a quick sale?

How does the Part V system work? Does the council buy an allocated number of units off the developer at full price and then sell them at the subsidised price to suitable applicants?

The place That I have been offered is though the Dublin docklands authority. I was in with them there a few weeks ago. Basically they have purchased the affordable units directly from the builder and then they are gong to be selling it to me. I am *assuming* that they snagged them and did the relevant new house buying stuff that any one would do when buying directly from a builder. That said I will obviously try my best to have my own independent advice on weather its up to scratch before I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

What's the situation when someone buys an affordable home and then rents it out? How do the council tackle that one?

stephen p wrote: »
    What's the situation when someone buys an affordable home and then rents it out? How do the council tackle that one?

Well I am kind of new to this affordable housing thing, but I think that when I buy the apartment that I will co own it with (in my case) the Dublin docklands authority. After a prolonged period of time they will gradually give me back a % of the ownership. So I am guessing that as co owners of the property they will most likely make me sign some kind of contract that will legally prohibit me from renting out the property?? But I don’t really know the actual ins and outs of it to be honest, but I am guessing that the councils across the country have this eventuality planned for in their agreements. I am sure I will better be able to answer stuff like this after I have gone through the whole process :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

You lucky sod getting a place in the docklands good luck with it ;)

starky wrote: »
    Well I am kind of new to this affordable housing thing, but I think that when I buy the apartment that I will co own it with (in my case) the Dublin docklands authority. After a prolonged period of time they will gradually give me back a % of the ownership. So I am guessing that as co owners of the property they will most likely make me sign some kind of contract that will legally prohibit me from renting out the property?? But I don’t really know the actual ins and outs of it to be honest, but I am guessing that the councils across the country have this eventuality planned for in their agreements. I am sure I will better be able to answer stuff like this after I have gone through the whole process :-)

Sorry I should have explained the situation a bit better. I currently live in an affordable home and I know of someone who also purchased one but is renting it out fully. It sickens me that they would do this as there is people on the list waiting months even years for a place.

texas star wrote: »
    You lucky sod getting a place in the docklands good luck with it ;)

Big time, I could not believe my luck when they rang me! I do appreciate that I am very lucky to be getting a place in the docklands at such a reasonable price. I think I will be one of the few people in this city that will have the joy of being able to walk to work in 15 minutes! Happy days. That said I was priced out of the property market years ago, and I was not prepared to move miles out some where just to get on the ladder. I am glad I dug my heals in now and stuck to my guns because now I have a great opportunity to buy a great place by my self that ordinarily would have been totally impractical for me to afford. My friends won’t have to listen to me banging on about emigrating any more now. :-)
    stephen p wrote: »
    Sorry I should have explained the situation a bit better. I currently live in an affordable home and I know of someone who also purchased one but is renting it out fully. It sickens me that they would do this as there is people on the list waiting months even years for a place.

This is bad form, goes against the whole affordable housing idea. I am fairly sure that who ever is doing this could end up in serious trouble. If they are renting it out then they would have to be tax compliant, and as soon as they do a tax return it would be obvious that they are letting out an affordable place. Obviously, like so many before them they think they can just let out a property and pocket the cash every month and say nothing. the revenue will catch up with them one day, and when they do they will be in a very sticky situation. An income of 1000+ euro every month is very difficult thing to hide from the revenue, they are not stupid!! Who ever this is could end up having to pay back the claw back as well as having tax liabilities to the revenue. Just because you can evade tax does not mean you should, or for that matter that you won’t be caught doing it. They can’t be too bright.

Similar, not identical. Councils don't necessarily want houses on Ailesbury Road and they don't want the gold plated taps.
    If I have it right, the council gets a proportion of land from the developer for free. The council can then build its own or get the developer to build, often in the same style, but with subtle changes. As the council only has to pay for construction, not the land, it can pass on the property to buyers at a lower price.

Victor, some councils want to take 20 per cent of land, some 20 per cent of units. Arrangement vary by council. The legislation is arseways, hence the legal challenges.
    Stephen P you should report the person renting it out. The local authority will demand they either move in or give it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

I don't suppose theres any exceptions as regards people who have already bought?
    I bought two years ago - but had to buy 40 miles away from where I work. I'd like to move closer to work - but could only achieve this through something like affordable housing.

If i was prepared to sell my current house, would they still accept my application despite the fact that i would no longer be a first time buyer??

baguio wrote: »
    I don't suppose theres any exceptions as regards people who have already bought?
    I bought two years ago - but had to buy 40 miles away from where I work. I'd like to move closer to work - but could only achieve this through something like affordable housing.

If i was prepared to sell my current house, would they still accept my application despite the fact that i would no longer be a first time buyer??

No they wouldn't accept your application, its only aimed at first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

AFAIK there is only one exception to the first time buyer rule and that's if you get divorced and the family home (which was bought jointly) has to be sold. I think in that event you would be treated as a first time buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

I am delighted to infor you all after being offered a 3 bed house we just got mortgage approval a few days before Xmas. I am delighted.

It is a new house and I was wondering do the builders fit a cooker or do we have to go look for one. I am asking because when we went to view there was a whole cut out the wood for one to fit so i thought maybe they will fit one.

Bingles wrote: »
    It is a new house and I was wondering do the builders fit a cooker or do we have to go look for one. I am asking because when we went to view there was a whole cut out the wood for one to fit so i thought maybe they will fit one.
    It very much depends on the documentation. Some fit a full cooker, some a hob only, some nothing (whether its an affordable house or not).

Based on my affordable housing experience if it's not in the house it's not included. Compare the brochure you were given to what's actually in the house and make sure it's all provided. Get confirmation on the oven and then buy stuff in the sales, always ask for an extra discount on the sale price to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

def not - the cut is only done for you
    No houses seem to include appliances these days unless specified in detail by the builder

Thanks, thats ok I have my eye on one anyway and it will be a lot more exiting picking one for myself.

hey Bingles you must be really excited did you get a date when you can move in?;)

Hiya Texas Star, yes soo exited going round looking at furniture and stuff is so much fun, well it is for me lol. We have not been given an exact date but I think it will be sometime feb with a bit of luck. I cannot belive how much paperwork and messing is involved.

Well if its with DCC I feel your pain.I got my offer in March and Im still waiting to move it.But it will be worth it in the end.I hope it goes well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wayne SDS

Hey Guy's!

Glad to have found this thread and congrats to you's who have gotten your home. A few questions,

1. How happy are you with your house/apt, is it in the perfect area?
    2. Can you see yourself selling in the next 5 years?
    3. What are your mortgage payments like?

Im pretty excited about embarking on my first home, myself and my girlfriend badly need our own space but im worried about apllying in the Fingal area. Thats where i want my home but the likes of Balbriggan and Skerries are totally out of the question. Have many people been offered homes in Swords/Portmarnock/Kinsealy/Sutton.

Also when applying did you apply for your own Council or the general application?

Thanks guy's look forward to reading some replies!

Wayne SDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Wayne SDS wrote: »
    1. How happy are you with your house/apt, is it in the perfect area?
    2. Can you see yourself selling in the next 5 years?
    3. What are your mortgage payments like?
    Also when applying did you apply for your own Council or the general application?

1. Yes exactly where I wanted to live. Lovely apartment too, delighted with it, a couple minor issues in the neighbourhood but that seems to be true of everywhere these days...
    2. No
    3. Mortgage payments aren't bad, it's the rent that I have to pay on the part DCC owns (I had to do Shared Ownership) and the feckin management fees that are killing me :(
    (4.) Just to DCC, I'd rather rent forever than live in the suburbs...

Advertisement