Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - tried to install extra RAM, PC now dead

Options
  • 24-05-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Bought 512 MB RAM for a Dell Dimension 4400 from Komplett and used crucial memory selector. Already had 256 MB on board.

Powered down, discharged static and installed RAM. When I restarted PC started beeping and the monitor was displaying a "no signal" detected message on screen. Removed new RAM and tried restarting with old RAM and got the beeping and no signal message from monitor. The graphics card it right beside the memory modules and I am wondering if I have somehow damaged it.

I pulled out the graphics card and the memory and re-inserted them from scratch. Rebooted and all I get is beeping and nothing on screen so I cant see how I am gonna fix this one - anyone any advice, desperate here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Remove the RAM and inspect the Modules for damage. You may have damaged a pin when inserting. Re-install your old RAM again. Also unplug and re-insert your graphis card again. Also try flashing your Bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

If I were in your shoes I'd try a reset of the CMOS/BIOS settings... there should be a jumper for it on the motherboard (if there's not some easier routine for doing it), the motherboard manual should show you where to find it (if one exists, sorry I've never owned a Dell).

Advertisement