Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The new Scorpions album is pretty damn good...

• 25-05-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

It's a concept album, called Humanity: Hour 1 and it's their best for years. A huge step up from Unbreakable certainly (which wasn't too bad in itself).

For a group of guys that must be in their late 50s/early 60s, it says something about the talent they possess that they can release a modern sounding record that puts the vast majority of modern acts to shame.

Not many solos on this one, but it's extremely melodic and Jabs gets a few decent riffs in now and again.

In general though, it's the songwriting that's the winner on this one. Title track and first single "Humanity" is excellent, as is "The Future Never Dies" which is the kind of great power ballad we've come to expect from the band.

Klaus Meine is FANTASTIC on this by the way. Puts other vocallists of his generation to shame in that his voice has barely deteriorated at all. He's still as powerful and emotive as ever and the hard edge that maturity brings actually makes him sound better.

In general in this season of former greats releasing disappointing albums, The Scorpions have bucked the trend. Definitely going to check them out in England this summer.

Recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's growing on me more and more with each listen.

Everything they put out is great though..it was hardly going to disappoint :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

MA déjà-vu. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

When you say its a concept album is it a return to the really early albums like lonesome crow, fly to the rainbow? Basically I've completely tuned out from the Scorpions from the late 80's on. So would like to see them return to their earlier sound

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

neGev wrote:
    MA déjà-vu. :eek:

:D

Too lazy to change the wording!
    When you say its a concept album is it a return to the really early albums like lonesome crow, fly to the rainbow?

No, not at all. By a concept album, I mean the songs share a similar theme. It's a cohesive album. The sound is very much a modern one, a better produced more melodic version of the sound heard on Unbreakable.

A huge step above their 90s output for sure.

The songs can stand on their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

damonjewel wrote:
    When you say its a concept album is it a return to the really early albums like lonesome crow, fly to the rainbow? Basically I've completely tuned out from the Scorpions from the late 80's on. So would like to see them return to their earlier sound

I'm the same, liked the earlier stuff, haven't really listened to them much since.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

The songs can stand on their own :)

Oh absolutely, I'm not implying that they can't. There's a real lack of filler on there, some excellent individual songs.

Hiring Desmond Child to act as co-writer has been a masterstroke.

AlanOB wrote:
    Oh absolutely, I'm not implying that they can't. There's a real lack of filler on there, some excellent individual songs.

Yeah, I mean, I usually dislike concept albums because the album usually needs to be listened to as a whole, but the album is great because you can listen to it however you want :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just having my first listen now and really liking it.I loved the Scorpions back in the day but havent got any of their recent stuff(apart from the Acoustica dvd).

The opening riff in the first track "Hour 1" really sounds like Rammstein riff.

Klaus Meine is a legend and one of my favourite vocalists of all time.:)

He hasn't really lost anything with age :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement