Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3's 3G network

• 25-05-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Just a lil confused here, after looking on the Three website and a few threads on here, I'm being lead to believe that the whole of Three's 3G network is HSDPA.

The standard 3G signal delivers speeds of 115.kps (or 3xxkps???) where as HSDPA can be 1.8, 3.6 7.xmb/s etc

So does this mean whereever I bring my 3 phone and it's connected to the 3G network it's actually HSDPA, capable of 1.8mb/s or greater?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

3g = 368kb/s
    hsdpa = 3g x 10.

'most' of the network is aparently hsdpa enabled now, but some other lads will clear that up.

if you live in or around built up areas is most certainly is hsdpa, i live in the sticks and its hsdap (sometimes), or rather was, until my data card fiasco. ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

3 has 85% coverage by population and that whole network is either hsdpa now or will be very soon. For the rest of the country they fall back onto vodafones 2g network where you cant use the net on your phone afaik.

If you're thinking of getting the new modem, on the ?20 a month tariff it cant roam onto voda at all

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

If you're thinking of getting the new modem, on the ?20 a month tariff it cant roam onto voda at all

really?..i haven't read up on the deal, so it's limited only to 3s 3g coverage?

pseudo mobile broadband!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Bulmers wrote:
    really?..i haven't read up on the deal, so it's limited only to 3s 3g coverage?

pseudo mobile broadband!
    there's two options. €20 a month for a 10 gig limit that can't be used on vodafone's or €40 a month for 3 gigs that can be used on vodafone's.

to be fair, with 85% population coverage its a lot more mobile than any other broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

suppose makes sense, basically taking out the off-net charges to Voda making it cheaper..

All in all though a welcomed effort from 3 in my opinion, hopefully the other operators now will get in gear and follow the same route and give them some competition in this space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Indeed.

It was 3 who really shook up the market in the UK with their amazing bundles of minutes/SMS and free phones.

It may be too late for them to do the same here up against the likes of Vodafone but let's hope they so it for mobile data. Good start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

culabula wrote:
    Indeed.

It was 3 who really shook up the market in the UK with their amazing bundles of minutes/SMS and free phones.

It may be too late for them to do the same here up against the likes of Vodafone but let's hope they so it for mobile data. Good start.

I was with o2 for years. I have just moved to 3 and am so far delighted with them. Hopefully more people will move to them and give the likes of o2 and vodafone a run for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

culabula wrote:

Aye, such as 500 any network, any time minutes for £15 (€22) a month for life, including a free phone. Their closest offer in Ireland costs €49 a month but only includes 400 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 mcobrien

Actually you can access the net while roaming on Vodafone, though clearly the bandwidth is terrible. The default 3 landing page isn't available, but you can use Google, gmail and browse to any website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ it comes up a grey screen saying that these sites can only be accessed (games, tones & pics and my3)

In about the 2 years ive been with 3 ive always lived in a area without 3G and only once or twice have I even been able to get into services in a 2.5g area and I'd say that was just down to cache

edit: my appologies I thought you were on about when using your mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I can use the web, email, on my 3 mobile as well as on my laptop through my handset when not in a 3G area, though 3's portal doesn't work. I pay for the extra mobile broadband addon for my handset (K800i).

And as for the original question - chances are your handset will be 3G only - 384kbit/sec and doesn't support HSPDA so you won't notice any benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

It's the USB data modem which cannot roam to Vodafone, not a normal handset.

I know my handset is not HSDPA, I was just wondering if the all of 3's network was HSDPA, wihch a view to getting the USB modem sometime in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ a few handsets are being released that are hspda but it will become a while before there the norm
    Id say all of 3's network is now hspda

Advertisement