Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im fed up with people saying they dont study but manage to do well

Options
  • 25-05-2007 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

There is such thing as people who are naturally smart but in the lc, it is purely to do with studying. Some people claim they do no work but manage to get good results but in reality they have been studying. How can someone know about the foreign policys of bismarck without studying, its impossible.
    Some guy in my class is considered someone who does not have to study to do well, but in reality he has been working throughout 5th and 6th year maby nort intensively but he has worked at a continous basis.

Let me ask you this i got 40 points in my christmas exams, but then when i began opening the books in janurary i got 300 points. Does that mean im naturally smart? I dont think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Some people though can just pay attnetion well in class, retain information really well so that they don't need to study AS much...they still need to study though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

things never change.
    The people that say then dont study are generally those that spend alot of time in the books. Of course, as per previous post, there are varying levels of information during retention.

My two cents worth: ignore what people are saying around you with regard to studying before the exams and immediately after an exam. Listening to someone talk about how easy they found Q1 etc can really mess with your head when sitting to prepare for the next exam. Be a bit selfish and only worry about what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Oh stop your whinging, some people do a standard amount of work that they wouldn't consider as "study". I've only started cramming recently. I didn't study for the mocks and did well enough, obviously you're feeling insecure if you feel the need to go and rant about other peoples' study habits/exam results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In the LC I did not study, jus did homework and got up around 600. Not everybody has to know foreign policies.

Don't worry, in college people will not see study as 'not cool'...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm fed up with yore ma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Some people though can just pay attnetion well in class, retain information really well so that they don't need to study AS much...they still need to study though...
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I do homework, listen in class, and study for class tests.I've never sat down with the intention of studying 'for the leaving' if you know what I mean.I get along just fine that way without doing anymore study than is necessary to do well in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

meh, it's the same old story... Some can study LESS and get on. that's life. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

i dunno about just paying attention in class... Maybe if the student were attending a really good school, or had 7 very good teachers... because a majority of todays teachers are just quite rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

as long as I do my homework I seem to remember a lot of it
    some people just have a head for this type of stuff, I think it's very possible for someone to remember that stuff without studying

the only subject I study is maths and I did great in my junior cert

that being said, I wouldn't take the chance on the leaving so I'll have my head down studying (well trying to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol, Jealousy.

I personally have to study, but not loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Noone goes into the leaving without studying..

Don't be so quick to generalise. That's not exactly true, and no I'm not suggesting I'm one of those people. But your statement is false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Noone aiming for any type of course goes into the leaving without studying

That's better :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also not true though. People can have a good memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

I NEVER studied for my leaving. Just got hammered drunk the night before the exams, plus never went into school and never did any homework. Still got 600 in my leaving and left every exam after half an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people can listen (really listen) in class, do regular homework to a high standard and retain a great deal of information. They have been doing this for 13 years before the Leaving. Any topping up they do may not seem to them to be 'study'.

At the other extreme are people who daydream in class, rarely do homework, or put little effort into homework and then seem to be suddenly faced with a huge amount of information to learn. These people often look at textbooks and have absolutely (genuinely) no recollection of having covered some topics. They then try to cram in information without having the underlying structures for recall and synthesis - this they see as study and of course it is difficult as they do not have the skills to retain at the same level and as easily as the other group do. People learn and store information in different ways.

The Leaving Cert. is not just a two year course, it builds on habits acquired at home, in primary school and during Junior Cert.

Many of the 'I never study' brigade have actually been studying, though they may not recognise it as such, for 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I NEVER studied for my leaving. Just got hammered drunk the night before the exams, plus never went into school and never did any homework. Still got 600 in my leaving and left every exam after half an hour.
    Something tells me you're exagerrating slightly.......

Is it your brain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

What a convienient thread to distract me...I never really studied "for exams" as such, i just, as has been mentioned already, always did homework and study for class tests. Got 420 in my mocks with little study.....still, as has been said, different strokes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

lol, aye, this is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Is it your brain?
    Maybe........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Look, the LC is a bit like life lads.

Some people will be completely f*cked over for no apparent reason. Some people will work their ass off and get their course. Some people will get freak grades, like the A1 my friend got in Higher English based on me telling him to study literary genre during the lunchtime before the exam. Just like in football/relationships/everything else, some people will just perform well off the cuff. Some people will do what I did and cram for three weeks and make their points with 5 to spare.

And some of you will be f*cked over despite working and blame the likes of me for getting decent points with three weeks of cramming (I didn't do much of the homework over the two years, either) and claim it's not fair. And in one way it's not. In another it is: the best way of measuring fair is who gets the better grade regardless of anything else.

Oh, and nobody gives a crap once you get to college. I hang out with a couple of 600 points people and regularly do better than one or two of them. I do study in College though because I genuinely enjoy my subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

I dunno, there are people who do copious amounts of study, know the course, and do fairly well. But when these people are asked something slightly off-topic, the stumble and fall. Their knowledge is so narrow and Leaving Cert-focused that they have no real understanding of what they have memorised.

This to me is far worse than getting a C or B grade without studying, which, if you pay attention in class, and do a bit of homework, is well within most people's ability. A little bit of understanding in a subject like Physics will do more for you than learning off worked equations and problems, and will be more flexible in an exam situation.

Granted, a subject like Biology requires a fair bit of learning, but is memorising a text book really a justifiable way to spend an entire year of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Duff

Its all lies, i didnt study and did shooite!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When I did my LC I really didn't study much and did all right. In the years since I left school I've done a few courses for professional qualifications relating to my job and again didn't study all that much, but I now have a degree and other qualifications. Now I've no doubt that I could have done better in the LC and improved on my 2.2 degree if I had studied, but the fact of the matter is that I knew I could get by with minimal effort. The reason for this is that I have very good retention, as long as I hear something in a class there's a very good chance that I'll remember it. However, give me a text book and I'll be bored with it and doing something else within minutes as I have a low boredom threshhold. I somehow doubt that I'm the only person on the planet with a good memory, and that's how those of us lucky to have it get by without studying much. The downside is that it does make a person a bit lazy and, as I said, I would have done a lot better had I studied more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Copper_90210

When some people say they did barely any study + dey get really good results in d end,, then u must remember that they could b on a totally different level than what ur aimin for.
    The study that they did could be a lot more than what U did ... but to THEM it was not enough. -therefore dey say dey did little study.
    make any sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

When some people say they did barely any study + dey get really good results in d end,, then u must remember that they could b on a totally different level than what ur aimin for.
    The study that they did could be a lot more than what U did ... but to THEM it was not enough. -therefore dey say dey did little study.
    make any sense??
    Precisely.Its all relative to the individual involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

I dunno if this question has been asked already but....

Why the hell do you give a $hite whether someone else is studying or not?

What fcuking difference does it make to you?

OP, grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hah. I specifically hypnotized myself to forget all knowledge of all my leaving subjects, came into the exam hall on acid, left before the exams started, and I still got 700 points out of 600!

I walked uphill both ways too (in the snow).

Advertisement