Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im fed up with people saying they dont study but manage to do well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Hah. I specifically hypnotized myself to forget all knowledge of all my leaving subjects, came into the exam hall on acid, left before the exams started, and I still got 700 points out of 600!

I walked uphill both ways too (in the snow).

I've ordered in a Turkish chicken which I have trained for only 4 hours to cover all the material needed for the LC. The chicken is going to sit all 49 subjects available and I think it's gaurenteed that I will get an A1 in each. But maybe a C3 in German as the Turkish chicken has some prejudice against that subject!

The chicken is also proving Sam Hamiliton wrong in the "Should Irish be mandatory" thread! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

When some people say they did barely any study + dey get really good results in d end,, then u must remember that they could b on a totally different level than what ur aimin for.
    The study that they did could be a lot more than what U did ... but to THEM it was not enough. -therefore dey say dey did little study.
    make any sense??
    True and not true. I'd be suprised if anyone could get 500points+ without studying except for the night or 2 before any given exam. But it would easily be possible to do with the 400point region for anyone whose got at retaining information.(I got 375 with starting my study for 3/7 subjects the night before and not even bothering studying for 3 subjects at all until the an hour before the exam, could easily have done better but I didn't need to so I didn't bother.)

As Zaph(I think) said above, I too can't look at a text book for more than a minute without being bored so I do very very small amounts of study for anything and tend to just go on what I've picked up from doing homework(Even this was half-ass attempted when I did). I agree with him about it making you lazy too:o I've carried on doing the same thing in college too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

i dunno, i mean i've done what i would call little study but did ok in the pre's.... the people i would concider more able to get the points,feel the need do way more study (eg- a friend of mine got 550 in her pre's and has now taken to spending hours, i mean HOURS, locked in her room studying, but i think this is due to the pressure on her to do better i the exams as it is expected in most casses that ones point would increase)

i think peoples ability to study, way of studying and the pressure on each indevidual plays a large part in time spent studying and perceived time spent studying.

I wont 'study' certain subjects as i seem to retain information much easier in those subjects... i dont think people sould go into exams without studying even if it is just to build confidence in their knowledge, but to each his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

i agree that it really does depend on the individual. i have a friend who genuinely did barely any study all year because her brother is friends with mine and he's always bitching about how little she does. she goes out most weekends too. but she got 560 in her pre. i guess she's just got the most incredible retention skills. im fine for english, french and biology cuz i did my homework all year. as for history, irish and geography, this week is my first week looking at them. but tbh, geography is a load of bs. 3/4 days is plenty of time to get the course done. i can honestly say i did more for my junior cert than now, but i study best when im under pressure, il get a lot done the nite before!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

I'm doing my lc I listen in class and do my homework I think that's enough until it's time to refresh my memory closer to the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm doing my lc I listen in class and do my homework I think that's enough until it's time to refresh my memory closer to the day

What posessed you to drag up this fossil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm mystified as to how people stumble across old threads. I presume they don't go searching boards for them, so... do they turn up on google or something when you look for "Leaving Cert"?

I'm mystified as to how people stumble across old threads. I presume they don't go searching boards for them, so... do they turn up on google or something when you look for "Leaving Cert"?

Turns up in google when you search "How To Disturb The Natural Order"

[Actually this does: link, if only google was this helpful when i am looking for something! current fustration: finding a link* that isnt dead to either of the Emocapella albums, im just venting fustration, not looking for help btw, no rules broken]

*I like having a functioning computer too much to go near torrents or limewire and what not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I know how you feel there is a girl in my year, a straight A student, who got all A's in her junior and when you ask her for study tips she tells you she didn't open a book.
    I don't know about you buut I certainly would not get straight A's if I didn't open a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Neither would I. She might have though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Na another girl in our year lives next door to her she never leaves the house. Thinks hanging out and having bf's and going to parties etc etc is immature lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This thread is goddamn awful :P

I'm fed up with people who are fed up about people saying they don't study but still do well, get over it! Some people will always be naturally more intelligent/have a better memory etc; life isn't fair, get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

cson wrote: »
    I dunno if this question has been asked already but....

Why the hell do you give a $hite whether someone else is studying or not?

What fcuking difference does it make to you?

OP, grow up.
    Word.

All I'll say on the matter is that there is no worse feeling than sitting in an exam hall and not knowing the answers to most of the questions, while the people and friends around you are writing away.

Just do your study and don't listen to people who say they do no study. If they're saying that all the time without provocation, they're just looking for attention and want you to do worse than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

K4t wrote: »
    Word.

there is no worse feeling than sitting in an exam hall and not knowing the answers to most of the questions, while the people and friends around you are writing away.
    quote]

But its a great feeling when you do know all the answers:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

ah nice to see my leaving cert thread..good times.

GA361 wrote: »
    K4t wrote: »
    Word.

there is no worse feeling than sitting in an exam hall and not knowing the answers to most of the questions, while the people and friends around you are writing away.
    quote]

But its a great feeling when you do know all the answers:D.
    Just another day in the life of K4t. :cool:

ah nice to see my leaving cert thread..good times.

I blame TriciaDelicia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

I hate the fact that some people care so much about what others are doing. If they're that worried they should be studying themselves. I do my homework, listen in class, learn for class tests and as a result am doing very well at school compared to most of my class. I would like to study but i haven't got the time. Every year when it comes to x-mas + summer tests and even the jc i left my study to the night before. A lot of people don't belive this 'cos i usually end up with the best results overall and it really pisses me off!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 catchthepigeon

my friend got 400 in the mocks and then got 550 in the leaving with doin ''no'' study. bull****!! she said she was doin no work but whenever we went to her house her books where open on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davty10

The Final Word...

People who are good at Subjects like Math and Physics can do well with doing a moderate amount of study......however and its a big however the leaving cert is populated with other subjects that require lots and lots of hours of study to achieve a high grade , for example History or English, nobody can just churn out a 20 page leaving cert paper in English or History on the fly, whereas Maths & Physics one can be natural good at and get an entire question completely correct and get full marks without having to put in anywhere near the same amount of work to get full marks in History or English.

In conclusion anyone walking out with LC results in the 450 points and above region means a fair few high grades in Honours and there is no way that came about by doing only homework and then sitting the LC in june..FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

20 pages for English and History? Are you mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

interested wrote: »
    things never change.
    The people that say then dont study are generally those that spend alot of time in the books. Of course, as per previous post, there are varying levels of information during retention.

My two cents worth: ignore what people are saying around you with regard to studying before the exams and immediately after an exam. Listening to someone talk about how easy they found Q1 etc can really mess with your head when sitting to prepare for the next exam. Be a bit selfish and only worry about what you do.
    selfish........i wouldnt consider it selfish. for feck sake its up to yourself to do well in the exams. dont heed anyone else. even if they arent studyin its up to ypu and you alone to decide what the best plan of attack for you!

id agree 100% with that. and imho you are sound as long as you keep fairly up to date with homework.

i didnt start doing extra stuff along with my homework until i got the results of the mocks. and as the days got closer we had two weeks supervised study, where i done nothin but worked on my woodwork project! i got an a1 in woodwork. and heres a point i have to make. i did f all study before going in to the construction(woodwork) exam. but its something that i find very practical(if ya get me point) it comes naturally to me so to speak. whereas if i didnt study for the irish id probly have failed it.

oh and interest is key to doing well!!

davty10 wrote: »
    The Final Word...

People who are good at Subjects like Math and Physics can do well with doing a moderate amount of study......however and its a big however the leaving cert is populated with other subjects that require lots and lots of hours of study to achieve a high grade , for example History or English, nobody can just churn out a 20 page leaving cert paper in English or History on the fly, whereas Maths & Physics one can be natural good at and get an entire question completely correct and get full marks without having to put in anywhere near the same amount of work to get full marks in History or English.

In conclusion anyone walking out with LC results in the 450 points and above region means a fair few high grades in Honours and there is no way that came about by doing only homework and then sitting the LC in june..FACT!
    true but what i seen was that many of the higher points people exerted themselves hugely in order to achieve there 500 + points. i didnt you see. i done what i thought was an acceptable amout of study and i awas happy wit my results. 450 and i done all honours which probably wasnt the most tactical approach but however i never have to sit the feckers again!

I hate the fact that some people care so much about what others are doing. If they're that worried they should be studying themselves. I do my homework, listen in class, learn for class tests and as a result am doing very well at school compared to most of my class. I would like to study but i haven't got the time. Every year when it comes to x-mas + summer tests and even the jc i left my study to the night before. A lot of people don't belive this 'cos i usually end up with the best results overall and it really pisses me off!!!!!!!!:mad:

But why do you care to begin with?

(BOLD hurts my eyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I've never studied before, I do understand I'm going to have to study this year though. But whenever I say I didn't study and do better in tests than my friends who did study they just don't believe me. The difference is I pay attention in class and I just remember the stuff from class while they're doodling or whatever, you're there anyway, you might as well listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davty10

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    20 pages for English and History? Are you mad?

Nope, 4 eassays in history each should be about 4-5 foolscaps...whats wrong with that?

• Advertisement

davty10 wrote: »
    Nope, 4 eassays in history each should be about 4-5 foolscaps...whats wrong with that?
    We do the documents question and then 3 other essays.

So yeah that would be around 18-20 pages. Depends on the size of your writing and how much you know too.

Advertisement