Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im fed up with people saying they dont study but manage to do well

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

davty10 wrote: »

In conclusion anyone walking out with LC results in the 450 points and above region means a fair few high grades in Honours and there is no way that came about by doing only homework and then sitting the LC in june..FACT!

Disagree. Over 500 points just by listening in class as was well suited to it. My mindframe at the time was that studying was cheating.

Got my come uppance in college though as the course content was just too large to retain. People who had worked for their LC had a huge advantage as they already knew how to study. Ate humble pie and studied too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

In conclusion anyone walking out with LC results in the 450 points and above region means a fair few high grades in Honours and there is no way that came about by doing only homework and then sitting the LC in june..FACT!

I disagree. i got 465 in the LC. I listened in class, did my homework and basically crammed all my study into my free week before the LC. I was happy with my results, even though I know I was capable of higher. But I got my course in Northern Ireland so I know I didn't have to stress myself out by aiming for 500+. My subjects were bio, german, chem and economics and obv. maths, english and irish...

Not that I'm advocating this method.... I was just lucky that I got my course through UCAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Fad wrote: »
    But why do you care to begin with?

(BOLD hurts my eyes)

Because people ask me how much i study and then think im lying when i say im barely managing to do my homework as it is. Its no-ones business anyways...they should worry about themselves instead.

I like bold!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

Nope, 4 eassays in history each should be about 4-5 foolscaps...whats wrong with that?
    that is madness to be honest. i know a lad who wrote 18 pages for business. thers a few subjects id advise steer clear of - business, history and art. i never done them, hadnt the interest but its just way too m uch writing by the looks of some of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Art isn't that bad tbh, writing wise. There's loads of time in the exam to write your essays. It's the learning bit that's tricky. : p

Also I may point out: English paper 2 would be at least 18 pages of writing, if you've normal enough sized handwriting of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

that is madness to be honest. i know a lad who wrote 18 pages for business. thers a few subjects id advise steer clear of - business, history and art. i never done them, hadnt the interest but its just way too m uch writing by the looks of some of my friends.

Ya, I did Business for LC this year and wrote 35 pages(huge writing)

I wouldn't say "steer clear" of it though.
    Easiest subject i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The Final Word...

People who are good at Subjects like Math and Physics can do well with doing a moderate amount of study......however and its a big however the leaving cert is populated with other subjects that require lots and lots of hours of study to achieve a high grade , for example History or English, nobody can just churn out a 20 page leaving cert paper in English or History on the fly, whereas Maths & Physics one can be natural good at and get an entire question completely correct and get full marks without having to put in anywhere near the same amount of work to get full marks in History or English.

I did both English and History and I would say I did sweet fa, relatively, work during to 2 years. IIRC I did about 15 History essays over the 2 years and literally about 5 pieces of homework for English. History for me, was a night before job, where by I read the text book-I got an A1. Now tbh I was good at history but I did well below average amount of study for it. Now when in class I usually listened because I was very interested in the subject. Somehow I remember almost everything for History-names, dates ect. Most of my friends had trouble with this but don't ask me how I just remembered.

For English all I did was the obligatory 2 weeks of cramming before the LC once the school term was over. Again though while I didn't read a lot of books or study, I did read the newspaper almost everyday which certaintly helped me. In that too I got an A1, honest to god I didn't deserve the result in either going on how much study I did but i guess my aptitued for those subjects got me through.

Now in chemistry I studied hard by my standards. A good 8 weeks of study for it but unlike History i couldn't just remember of the top of my head. I have no interest in the subject and little aptitued in it I reckon. I pulled out a C2 for my efforts.

I did FA homework during my 2 years. I did very little study. I got over 500 points. I don't fall into the branch of being good at Maths so automatically good at Physics, Applied Maths, TD ect, in fact I'm quite poor at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I havent studied yet but still manage to do average or well in exams.

The majority of what I remember comes from classwork and homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Some people claim they do no work.

These people are what you call bull****ters my friend....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    These people are what you call bull****ters my friend....

Just keep telling yourself that..

In school you can get away with just doing your homework and paying attention in class. I did this and got 500+.

In college you can't, because they don't give you homework, you have to find it yourself. Something I haven't got around to yet, and am subsequently falling behind because of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

My friends are always saying this to me.
    The thing is i actually DONT do any study. I just enjoy learning i guess and find it easy to pay attention cos i actually want to learn. E.g for a bio exam on idk what it was-fungi and bacteria or something. I missed the whole thing out sick found out i had the test that morning studied at lunch nd got 86%.It just went in. I mainly do what written work i have to do homework wise, and do my best to study for the revision tests. But i dont do study unless i absoloutely have to. And then i cram. Works for me.
    The people that can do well and claim to do nothing are either :
    1. Crammers
    2. Liars

"doing nothing" means different things to everyone, though.

For example, when I told people that I basically did nothing for my LC, I actually did homework for 6 years, and I got my act together study-wise in the month before the LC (and for tests/mocks etc.). To me that was doing the bare minimum. To other people, doing homework at all is going out of their way. It depends on what you're used to, I guess. Not doing homework just never occurred to me as something that you'd do. And to other people again, doing nothing literally means doing nothing, and not going to school. Hopefully there's not too many people like that though.

Also Baza210: I've got loads of homework, wanna swap?

I've got work to do too you know. Limits, remember? >_<

Lim f(x) as x -> y = f(y).
    Grand. : p

If only that were the case..

Oh, don't tell me you're doing it the nasty way, with epsilons and deltas? (Though it's not that bad when you come to terms with it, but it IS tedious.)

Yes, we are. I'm just ignoring them. I don't really get them. Distance from the limit or something?

It just means that for any non-negative value of epsilon, you can find some value of delta which means that when you get within delta of x, you're within epsilon of f(x). So you can take a tiny epsilon and it means there's some region of delta on either side of x and if you get within it, you're within epsilon on either side of f(x), and you can draw this closer and closer to the limit as it can be as tiny as you want...
    Probably not explaining very well, I have to say it's the one thing I've really not liked from my maths courses so far.

Ahem. To get back on topic: As Baza210 said, if it's any consolation, when all those people who "did nothing" hit college, they'll be in for a nasty surprise.
    (Also they're probably liars. Unless you can know things without ever learning them, you have to do SOMETHING in order not to fail. Some people remember things better, admittedly, but that means they were paying attention in class. Or they did their homework. Or they read a book on the topic in their spare time. They're not actuallly doing nothing. And if they are, and you feel cheated because you ARE doing work, comfort yourself in the knowledge that you know how to work, as it'll stand to you later.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It just means that for any non-negative value of epsilon, you can find some value of delta which means that when you get within delta of x, you're within epsilon of f(x). So you can take a tiny epsilon and it means there's some region of delta on either side of x and if you get within it, you're within epsilon on either side of f(x), and you can draw this closer and closer to the limit as it can be as tiny as you want...
    Probably not explaining very well, I have to say it's the one thing I've really not liked from my maths courses so far.
    Stop going off topic please :P

I'm an Engineer! [ing student].

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Nope, 4 eassays in history each should be about 4-5 foolscaps...whats wrong with that?
    3 essays => 2.5-4 pages each
    1 set of docs questions =>1-1.5 pages
    1 mini-essay =>1-1.5 pages

15 pages absolute max IMO (writing size dependant of course, mine is/was about 9/10 words per line), and that much wouldn't necessarily be needed for a high grade. I got a B1 with about 10/11 pages. Don't be killing yourself to get so much written, rather make sure what you're writing is good.
    Also I may point out: English paper 2 would be at least 18 pages of writing, if you've normal enough sized handwriting of course.
    My memory's a little hazy, but IIRC English paper 2 was 3 sections, each needing about 3/4 pages, no? That's only 9-12 pages.

One caveat: I've always been very concise and to the point with anything I write. Don't take my advice if you tend to be more long winded, but able to write a lot in a short period of time. Then again, no harm in thinking a bit more about what you write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lux.

I would agree that most people do need to do some bit of work to do ok in the leaving cert. It's also true that a load of people boast about 'doing feck all' while secretly poring over their notes at night.
    However- there are also people who can coast through it all doing the bare minimum. I did the LC this year and I can say hand on heart I probably did the least amount of work out of all my classmates. No word of lie- I skipped classes and didn't pay attention to most of the ones I bothered going to. I only did homework when it looked like I would get a note home about it, and I first started leafing through the books about 10 days before the first exam. Even at that I only learned Chemistry and English for most of that time.
    And I got 485 points, with B3s my worst grade.

Just trying to point out that many people are good at memorising info just hours (or sometimes minutes for me, e.g. trying to learn how to do a break-even chart for the first time about 20 minutes prior to my Business exam) before they go and do the test. But yeah, we'd be in the minority. ;)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Stop going off topic please :P
    No back seat modding. Particularly as, of the post that you quoted, more was on topic than off, and you're now only serving to further derail the thread.
    Especially because you're not even doing your LC!
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    My memory's a little hazy, but IIRC English paper 2 was 3 sections, each needing about 3/4 pages, no? That's only 9-12 pages..
    Well...
    SIngle Text - 5/6 pages
    Comparative - 6/7 pages
    Poetry - 5 pages
    Unseen yoke - 2 pages
    18 at least. It depends on your style of course, I just usually went by "1 page per 10 marks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

god i dread when people say that they dont do any study. i no a lad that says he doesnt do anything but yet hes doing nearly higher everything

Advertisement