Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary school subbing

• 25-05-2007 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

heya folks
    I just fininshed my bachelors degree in science (chem-bio). I am going back to college in Sept to do a masters but the work loads looks pretty small. I intend to do the H-dip possibly the year after and hear some teaching practice would be beneficial to get a H-dip spot.
    Are schools allowed to take on unqualified people to fill teaching and subbing hours?
    If so, when is a good time to apply to schools?
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The schools close (for the kids) next week and during the exam period no-one will have time to speak to you.

Go round your local schools as early as possible next week. Make sure you make it clear you are willing to do loads of extra-curricular stuff unpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

spurious wrote:
    .... during the exam period no-one will have time to speak to you.
    I've been told that the opposite is true. The principal has to be there during the exams but will likely have plenty of time to deal with you. I've never been around during the exams though so I don't know this for a fact. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the school I suppose.
    I know if someone comes looking for me in the exam period I have way too many other things to be doing.

We've had people coming in since Feb. asking about sub positions next year and we've sorted them out by day already as we have our timetables just about finished and ready to print.
    Perhaps other schools leave it later to organise things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Yeah so I have possibly left it too late to apply for subbing?
    I have been training hurling and camogie to youth teams for the past two years; I heard that schools like people that can start up teams, etc??
    There are a few part-time positions in the paper for maternity leave positions. Would a school give that to me even though I haven't got the H-dip?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's not too late, but get in there today - and early.
    Most schools will be having management meetings today and they are the people you need to be speaking to.

They really will not want to see you on Wed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

The biggest prerequisite for subbing in my school last year was whether you would come in to the school on short notice. and yes the schools can hire anyone (they feel confident about) to do subbing and some teaching, so if i were you i would let all local schools know what hours you are available and i think that principals and more importantly vice principals (since they do the sub timetabling) like to meet flexible and useful people any time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

So would you advise sending CVs to random schools around the area?
    I have been checking educationposts.ie and educationcareers.ie as well as the independent. Haven't heard any responses yet but the jobs I applied for are full time. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of science jobs out there, I would think every school advertising for a chemistry teacher is getting a pile of CVs.
    Do you know the name of any recruitment agency that places teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 06621121

If you have completed your degree and are applying for your post grad what are you classed at? On these websites for substitute jobs the headings are:
    Early start teacher
    supply teacher
    Mainstream?

Anyone any ideas please?

Are those terms from adverts in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

And just to let you know, teaching experience will not count for extra points towards getting into a dip. This is the last year PAC are accepting teaching hours to make up more points. (Thats ucd, Maynooth, Galway and Cork).

However, it will look good for an interview for Trinity or the UK. And it will also be really good for you, as you'll get a chance to try teaching and find out if you really like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

spurious wrote: »
    Are those terms from adverts in the UK?
    They're from educationposts.ie
    06621121 wrote: »
    If you have completed your degree and are applying for your post grad what are you classed at? On these websites for substitute jobs the headings are:
    Early start teacher
    supply teacher
    Mainstream?

Anyone any ideas please?

Early start is pre-school, supply is substitute as and when needed, mainstream is typical non-special-needs classroom teaching.
    Seriously though, 06621121, google is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Along the same lines as the OP: a principal from a local school rang me to see if I would be interested in coming for an interiew Monday for sick leave relacement: haven't got my HDip am I wasting my time? I hadn't given in a CV or anything he just heard about me (from my Secondary School Principal) and asked would I come up for an interview? So nervous but would like to go teaching and get my H Dip ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If the principal rang you, s/he obviously needs someone sharpish and is probably aware that you don't have the HDip. GO for it.

Advertisement