Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Socket 775 Thermal Paste.

Options
  • 25-05-2007 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Can someone advise me on this?

When using the Intel Socket 775 chip?, is the stock Thermal Past good enough or should I get some other?

When applying the compound should it be applied to the chip before the cover plate is closed?

cpu1ce5.jpg

Or should it be applied to the chip through the square opening on the plate after it's closed?

cpu2bp5.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

In general the paste that comes pre-applied to the underside of the stock cooler is perfectly adequate to run the machine for everyday applications.

If you make a clean contact first time then there should be no need to apply any more , however , if you have to re-seat the cooler for any reason you should apply more paste to make sure you have an even coating.

You should just put on enough to have a thin layer of paste between the top surface of the chip and the underside of the cooler with no missed spots , you dont want it squidging out the sides , if it does , clean up the excess. Its bad to get any of this anywhere else except between the chip and the cooler.

Arctic silver is generally considered one of the best to use.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

For overclocking or adding higher performance coolers like Zalmans etc . you should use something like Arctic silver ,

You need to apply an even coating over the top surface of the processor , its easiest to do this with the clamp open so thats the way i would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pgleeson

Mathias has pretty much said it all, arctic silver 5 is supposed to be decent, plus you can follow their instructions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks mathias & pgleeson for the detailed Info. :)

I understand now how it works.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement