Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy power pay out on Bertie

Options
  • 25-05-2007 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Paddy Power to pay out on Bertie as Taoiseach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Jackz wrote:
    Paddy Power to pay out on Bertie as Taoiseach

I would not count your chickens yet the eggs have not hatched. You FF supporters are all the same. Dont jump the gun you might have egg on your face the votes have not been counted yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I aint jumpin no gun my friend Paddy Power are. Im worried about the transfers still. Seems my little harp is like a red rag to a bull sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

jjbrien wrote:
    I would not count your chickens yet the eggs have not hatched. You FF supporters are all the same. Dont jump the gun you might have egg on your face the votes have not been counted yet.

But they are paying out on him... http://www.irishelectionbetting.com/?promo=news_IrishElectionMicrosite&crea=img

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Irish Wolf wrote:

I must say that's crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Irish Wolf wrote:

If you read carefully there not paying out yet. To quote" We'll be offering Betting In-Running on selected election markets from noon today. Make sure to check back in..."

That is what it says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Yep Paddy Power on TV3 this morning - confirmed they will being paying out from 10am today

jjbrien wrote:
    If you read carefully there not paying out yet. To quote" We'll be offering Betting In-Running on selected election markets from noon today. Make sure to check back in..."

That is what it says.

And if you read it all it says...
    Congratulations to all punters who backed Bertie Ahern for Next Taoiseach. Your bet is a WINNER! We believe that Bertie is first past the past are we're paying out accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Publicity whores, Michael O'Leary wept this morning, taken his title

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

unbeleivable how can they be so willing to give money away that they might not have to. never understand this unless if they call it now and something else happens do they still have to pay out ? or is this a way of paying out less money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

unbeleivable how can they be so willing to give money away that they might not have to. never understand this unless if they call it now and something else happens do they still have to pay out ? or is this a way of paying out less money

The odds where 1:500 the pay out is tiny, but people put vast sums on money down. I'd suspect in a money laundering attempt. So it makes logistical sense to call this early and get it out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Its publicity you mad yoke. No other reason, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

€300,000 is a lot of money... but its less than odd-on. Bertie for Taoiseach was never a bet to make a lot of money on, unless you had loads yourself.

Boston wrote:
    The odds where 1:500 the pay out is tiny, but people put vast sums on money down. I'd suspect in a money laundering attempt. So it makes logistical sense to call this early and get it out of the way.

where'd did you get 1:500

It isn't even 1:10 on betfair

oh and fair play to them for paying out but I just don't see why they did it so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

Paying out based on an exit poll is an interesting move, doubt they are paying out very much though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Its publicity you mad yoke. No other reason, plain and simple.

Don't make me repeat myself...

chump wrote:
    where'd did you get 1:500

It isn't even 1:10 on betfair

oh and fair play to them for paying out but I just don't see why they did it so early?

Tv3 this morning, somebody was on talking about 1:500 odds and 25,000 bet paying out 50 euro.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

F@ck it, Dude, let's go bowling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Are they not paying out on both?

• Advertisement

well if odds are anything to go by, and betfair being the number one source to see movements confidence in Bertie isn't as high as it was an hour ago.

A lot of money was matched around 1.10 on Bertie for next Taoseach.
    You can now get 1.16.
    And there isn't any money queuing up for it, except until 1.2 .

Of course there's low liquidity but there's a distinct fall off in demand, just around the time the first sniffs from the count centres would be arriving.

He's still nailed on though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Don't forget, Paddy Power paid out early on Arsenal to win the premiership in 2003.... Man Utd won...

I'm just browsing Betfair now, here's the longshots I've taken so far...

Sinn Fein 10-11 seats... €8 @ 3-1
    Fianna Fail for a maj-min govt... €5 @ 10-1
    Brian Cowen for Tanaiste.... €50 @ 2-1

Sure even if they all lose it makes the results a bit more interesting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Brian Cowen for Tanaiste

Will never happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Pretty sure you're right Bond, plenty of time to lay it yet though... Can't decide between Roger Rabitte or Trevor the mullet Sargent...

wow, paddypower had a right to be so confident!

so some nice odds were available there on betfair so...
    1:5 a few hours ago
    1:20 now

!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

chump wrote:
    wow, paddypower had a right to be so confident!

so some nice odds were available there on betfair so...
    1:5 a few hours ago
    1:20 now

!

Make that 1.05

Such an exciting election eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bertie was never 1/500 to be Taoiseach,those were his odds to be elected in his own constituency where he was never going to be in any danger. (first tally gives him a double quota).

Paddy Power like these early payouts as a little publicity stunt, that's all. But they're right on this one, Bertie will be Taoiseach it's only a question of who will be in government with him.

Advertisement