Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final year history crusades and core course

Options
  • 25-05-2007 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

just wondering that topics people are covering for these courses? i myself am doing crusades 1-3 and albignesian crusade. covering cumman na ngaedhal in 20s, public morality in 1930s, social policy ireland/n.ireland and lemass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I'm going with first crusade, fourth crusade, albigensian crusade and crusades of Louis IX. For the Irish Experience I guess I'm going with Lemass, Cumann na nGaedheal, the first inter-party government and the welfare state. I can't muster any degree of confidence about the Irish course though. Crusades seems fine. Don't forget that it's moved to 9 in the RDS...and they said the timetable wouldn't change... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

i had done an essay on fourth crusade and my tutor said it was not going to come up according to coleman. tutor said there will prob be a question on accounting for success of first crusade, failures of 2nd and 3rd. a question on crusader states 1020s-1300s, albignesian, louis xi, peter of aragon and a question on the perceptions of crusades by both sides

core course should be okay to predict three different lecturers, riordan focused on ireland up to 1939 so is bound to have a question or two on that period which narrows it down, she also focuses on role of religion and society she had a third year course on that this year so hence idea of public morality legislation being asked. marnie hay is big on n.ireland so think that social policy should come up as it did last year while other lecrturer dealt with twenty year period so id image big topics like lemass and o neill will come up in her sections of the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Im doing first, second and albigensian...seems to be the favourites round here anyways:D
    how many questions are on the paper?
    was goin to look over fourth too, but if Gillian said its not gonna come up...

No idea what to learn for Irish Exp, is it divided into sections, if not Im sticking to 20s and 30s stopped goin to lectures after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm doing The 1st, the 2nd and the Albigensian. Plus learning my essay on the Latin Empire of Constantinople despite the fact that it's never going to come up. But I really wish it would!

I'm covering, Cumann na nGaedheal, Lemass, FF in 1930's and O'Neill for the Irish Experience.

Now if only I could make myself stop watching election coverage and actually learn things for tomorrow!

there is ten questions on core paper, it is not split into sections i.e. answer one of questions 1-5 and one from 6-10.each lecturer covered a certain period so you can assume they will a question or two on their part of the course on paper meaning if you didnt like one section of the course you can focus on other two or if your feelin lucky let it all ride on one part of the course!

• Advertisement

thanks man with the burned face!

ugh..I'll leave thinking about that exam til tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I'm doing Lemass, 1930's Fianna Fail & dismantling the treaty and the welfare state post 1945.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Why post 45....why....why???

What sort of Lemass question do people think is going to come up?

Does anyone think Noel Browne is going to come up?

And also--does anyone have any stuff typed on public morality legislation that i could steal..i feel like i know nothing.

Sorry, I don't even know that much about public morality legislation, never mind have stuff typed on it.

I'm fearing a Lemass question that asks how his policies led to problems for Jack Lynch, because I know that they did...but I literally stopped reading at the point where Lynch became Taoiseach. I'm hoping for something general on the 60s or such.

I've no idea why you'd look at the Welfare state post-45. I haven't even looked at the Welfare State, I'm running with C na nG, The Emergency, The Inter-party Gov and Lemass but I have an English exam in the morning and I'm convinced that all my History will have fallen out of my head by the afternoon.

Ugh, petrified.

I have a feeling this exam will go very badly... but I just cant study! I stopped when Lynch became Taoiseach too, so hopefully it'll just be Lemass... argh.

• Advertisement

i have done a really broad study on lemass' political career and likewise stopped at his retirement as taoiseach, have also done question on c na ng on if they were responsible for own decline and another on how conservative they were, done another on the emergency and difference between north and south and impact of social welfare legislation on north and backup essay is public morality and general level of church interference in early years of state.. hit a wall last night and havent really been able to take anything in this morn. finished in ucd at 4 and then im going to go out and get blitzed:D

so what did everyone think? i saw a good few lámha suas for susannah riordan!

I wouldn't know, they don't in general bother to send lecturers to check on people sitting their exams on campus. The exceptions to this were the lovely Prof Bartlett who sent someone in his stead- which I thought was particularly nice considering his was an option course which only he lectured and he had to organise someone to come in - and Dr Nunes for American Mod. It's just as well I didn't have problems with The Crusades, Reading the Middle Ages II or The Irish Experience because there was nobody to ask. Particularly shody on the parts of the departments I thought considering two of those courses had 3 lecturers or more and could well afford to have someone in the RDS and in college. I'll forgive Eddie Coleman cos his paper was nice :).

Oh, and I avoided Susannah Riordan's questions...because I'm not stupid.

oooh elmyra you lost out I had a lecturer come see me for every exam I did! including Edward Coleman, wonder why he didnt come see you in the room round the corner? thats a strange one really...

anyway thought the paper was grand, nothing unexpected really.

which exactly were her questions? is she a hard marker?meh....am finished...but cant let go...haha.

i had riordan for option course found her a fair marker, her questions were on whether a revolution occured 22-32, was one relating to 1937 constitution and another on a terence brown quote relating to ireland lacking drive in economic, cultural and social terms 22-39

not me then...as you can tell i didnt go to many lectures..

I'm so glad the irish experience is OVER. Though it went pretty well, or as well as it could have gone really. No more history, how weird is that?

Advertisement