Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Titleist d2 opinions?

• 25-05-2007 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Bought 1 yesterday, not too sure if there that good. It's pretty forgiving but i don't feel its great on distance, maybe its the shaft. Anyone else here have one or hit it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

its all about the shaft, i've a swing speed of about 120, have the proforce v2 shaft, very stiff, but gives very penetrating flight, had a g5 before this with aldila shaft in it, hit it about 300-320 carry, hit the titleist about 30 yards further, not as forgiving as g5 though, if you hit it wrong, it can go anywhere

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

...hit it about 300-320 carry, hit the titleist about 30 yards further...
    The longest average drive on the european tour this year is 310.8 yards (Alvaro Quiros).
    Your are talking about some carry there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

hit it about 300-320 carry, hit the titleist about 30 yards further
    I assume you are talking feet there right?
    Otherwise thanks for starting my Sunday of with a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

In fairness, he wouldn't be the first guy to overestimate his driving distance. A mate of mine claims to have put many a ball over the back wall of the Spawell driving range but struggles to better 220 yards carry and roll on a hard fairway with a proper golf ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

350 yards is entirely possible......

....downwind on a runway...

• Advertisement

milltown wrote:
    In fairness, he wouldn't be the first guy to overestimate his driving distance. A mate of mine claims to have put many a ball over the back wall of the Spawell driving range but struggles to better 220 yards carry and roll on a hard fairway with a proper golf ball.
    theres over estimating and theres saying you have 350 carry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

As someone once said "I wouldn't go that far on my holidays!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

I played with him on Sunday Morning lads and I can tell you now, he's not exaggerating. Seriously.

What loft is the driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

350 yards carry... i find that a little hard to believe. Anyway, back to the point, i've always been a big fan of the Titleist drivers. I was having a look at the D1 and D2 at the weekend. The D1 is horrnedous looking, but the D2 looks pretty nice.

• Advertisement

I played with him on Sunday Morning lads and I can tell you now, he's not exaggerating. Seriously.

Yes he is. There is no way he is averaging 350 yd carries. 350 yds of carry would mean about 370yds in total.

Answer the following:
    1. What does he play off?
    2. Is it possible that he (and you) are over-estimating this distance?
    3. As someone said earlier the average drive on tour is 310 yds. In America it's 315 yds. Is he 55/60 yds bigger than the top professionals in the world. Tiger Woods has a average drive of 295 yds. Is he 75 yds bigger than world No. 1 and 12 time major winner Tiger Woods?

He may hit the odd big drive. Please don't try and tell us he hits it an average of 350yds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tiger recorded a 380+ yard drive yesterday.

But everyone exaggerates their drive distance, no way you hit 350 yards carry mate no way under the sun.

Answer the following:
    1. What does he play off?
    2. Is it possible that he (and you) are over-estimating this distance?
    3. As someone said earlier the average drive on tour is 310 yds. In America it's 315 yds. Is he 55/60 yds bigger than the top professionals in the world. Tiger Woods has a average drive of 295 yds. Is he 75 yds bigger than world No. 1 and 12 time major winner Tiger Woods?

He may hit the odd big drive. Please don't try and tell us he hits it an average of 350yds.

Whatever, lads. I don't think he was saying he has an average carry of 350 yards but the fact is he can boom it about 360/70 and he plays like a maniac so most of his drives are probably in that neighbourhood. Anyway - it's all a bit juvenile really. I'm just telling you that it's not complete bull because I've seen him play myself - up to you if you want to believe it, so ridicule it all you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im surprised no-one has asked this but, what's his putting like? ;)

They all go about 6-feet by!

Yawn...

Back to the topic though maybe?

Have to say titleist drivers have impressed me. I had a 975jvs and it was lovely and recently got a 983k and its lovely. I was hitting a taylormade r540 for years and never found a driver better or more comfortable. But ive found one in titleist.

Weird sounds though. Find titleist drivers are easy to shape, possibly cause of the smaller heads.

what loft is your 983k doc.

having tried a few different drivers over the winter i'm back playing with my 975j at the moment. Hitting it fairly good too. Would like to upgrade in the not too distant future perhaps though.

its a 9.5 with a graffaloy pro lite shaft, smashing club.

I've been looking at the Taylor Made's recently. Quite taken with the R7 Superquad. Feels very nice. Black head is very striking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Slightly OT but where can I try out drivers like the D2. I know there is a McGuirks demo shop at Celbridge driving range but when I tried ringing them I got a constant engaged tone. Anyone know the opening hours? And how does it work - do you just belt away on the driving range with the demo drivers, is there any charge for use of the demo clubs etc.

I was trying them in the Premier Golf out at Ballymun / Santry.

I wouldn't say i belted away for ages, but i took in a few different drivers / lofts and hit a few balls with each. No, there's no charge.

Yawn...

I actually want to apologise for the last comment, was a bit bad of me, I'm normally not that harsh!

Anyway out of interest what is he off? Hitting it that far I'd imagine he's off 5 or less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I reckon a 350 yard carry would need a 135+ mph club head speed. It's possible, but very rare unless you are on the Long Drive Tour in which case it's probably below average!

It can be hard to judge driver distance, easier to look at shorter clubs actually where roll doesn't really come into it and people can be much more consistent than with the driver. Eg I would expect someone who can carry it 350 with the driver to be hitting a 5 iron around 250 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

BrianD3 wrote:
    Slightly OT but where can I try out drivers like the D2. I know there is a McGuirks demo shop at Celbridge driving range but when I tried ringing them I got a constant engaged tone. Anyone know the opening hours? And how does it work - do you just belt away on the driving range with the demo drivers, is there any charge for use of the demo clubs etc.

McGuirks in Celbridge closed about 2 weeks back.

Anyone living in or around Gorey might be interested to know that Webb's will be reopening in the Autumn with a new 3-floor building. Top floor will sell just golf products. Talking to the owner last week IO asked him would he be up for "loaning" demo clubs to customers for a couple of days so they could take away with them and try out on the course. He said he would have no objection to allowing this. Just something to note.

He's just started back playing so was he was given 10 by the club, but doesn't play in competitions for whatever reason.

Like I said he plays like a maniac - so his card looks something like 3, 3, 4, 12, 3, 4, 8 etc. Will risk wrecking the card just to try to reach a Par 4. It's all about the driving - I compared it to video game golf. On a casual, non-competitive game, he got 48 points off 10. I know it's not the same but it's just a guideline. I didn't see any 350 yard carries but I did see some 350 yard tee shots - like I said before, I think he was a little misrepresented by stating that it was an average of a 350 yard carry. But if he says he has carried it 350 before I can easily believe it, having played with him.

S'all I'm saying lads.

can we put this one to bed now and talk about the d1 and d2??

Yes sorry Graham, back on topic....

Haven't actually hit either, but they're looking pretty nice. I've had the 975d and 975j in the past and I reckon you couldn't go wrong with Titleist. I got an R7 recently, but was between these two.

OP the shaft is pretty much the most important thing when buying a golf club, esp a driver. Did you have your swing speed measured before buying. Golfworks have a little device for checking your swing speed (Deansgrange, not sure which other one do, maybe ring first). Maybe if you were to pop in there they could tell you what shaft would most suit you.

Advertisement