Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Companies Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SDK

Anan1 wrote:
    Rubbish. I've been driving 20 years, and i'm still learning.

Do you not understand that younger people represent a higher risk?

you're driving 20 years and you're still learning? and you're still on the road?

I'm sorry to sound like an ignorant young bastard...but if it takes you 20 years to learn how to drive then you shoudnt be on the road.

kbannon wrote:
    Yeah! They should conduct interviews to find the better drivers. :rolleyes:

if you go for a job, do they not test you on how capable you are? or do they take your word of experience for granted?

youve got the right idea...im 23 and i tell ppl that are 25-35 what they need to do.......does that mean that i shud be paid less because im younger? and more experienced? bull****!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon a 23 year old in a 2 litre car with 170bhp is always going to be fleeced on insurance.

I had a Focus ST lat year (I miss that car) and paid less than €1000 to insure it comp. incl. full ncb protection.

I'm a tad more mature (in years at least) than you however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

SDK wrote:
    you're driving 20 years and you're still learning? and you're still on the road?

I'm sorry to sound like an ignorant young bastard...but if it takes you 20 years to learn how to drive then you shoudnt be on the road.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Weird posts here, my son is 23, has his license 2 years, one year claims free driving on his own policy. He's driving my old 94 Lexus LS400 for €1800 with Quinn-Direct.

What I do remember, is that your location will ultimately define your premium after your age and the car's specs. If he lived in D10, it would cost him over €2500.

At any rate, why are you driving such a new and expensive car? My son has a car with more power and more comfort than a Focus could deliver, and he's paying small money for his insurance compared to you.

Where's the logic in your reasoning? The Lexus needs the engine (240 bhp), its a big car, but the teeny focus doesn't need 170 bhp!

• Advertisement

maoleary wrote:
    Weird posts here, my son is 23, has his license 2 years, one year claims free driving on his own policy. He's driving my old 94 Lexus LS400 for €1800 with Quinn-Direct.

What I do remember, is that your location will ultimately define your premium after your age and the car's specs. If he lived in D10, it would cost him over €2500.

At any rate, why are you driving such a new and expensive car? My son has a car with more power and more comfort than a Focus could deliver, and he's paying small money for his insurance compared to you.

Where's the logic in your reasoning? The Lexus needs the engine (240 bhp), its a big car, but the teeny focus doesn't need 170 bhp!

The reasons are:
    1)The ST focus has a nice body and wheels..
    2)ST has leather seats, traction controls, A/C is much more luxurious than my current focus
    3)It is a very rare car to be seen in this country, not many people have it.
    4)I work hard at my job and Im only young once, I can afford to do this and have no important things to be paying for at the moment...IE kids and mortgage etc!
    5)why not?

This car is only 30mph faster then my current car and gets 0-60 in half the time. It has more airbags and has traction conrtol and ABS! So I dont understand how they wont insure me in it as its a non-turbo/supercharged. Its much safer then most cars insured on this road.

Its all to do with responsbility. If you are a good driver or not. I want to get it because its the only nice focus other than the RS or ST220.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

SDK wrote:

I think people who think since you've past your test you've nothing more to learn shouldnt be on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The test does not cover driving on motorways,
    how to merge with traffic when coming down an on ramp,
    how to correctly over take at 70 miles per hour, what lane should be used ect
    and it is not taught in driving lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

peasant wrote:
    German insurance companies publish insurance data for every vehicle available on the market.

Their basic quote takes into account the value of the vehicle, the cost of repair and the likelihood of it getting stolen.

Then they apply some statistical wizzardry and and add or subtract special bonuses for the area in which the vehicle will be mostly driven (cities are usually more expensive than country locations)

At the very end they take a look a t the driver: A beginner pays 175% of the quote. Over the years, by not having a claim you can work yourself down to as low as 40 or 30 % in steps of 25% in the beginning and 5% near the end.

If you have a claim, you premium goes up by one to four steps, depending on the amount on the claim.

The main difference between insurance companies then are special incentives for garaged vehicles, women drivers, etc and different additional services like breakdown cover etc

I think that is a much fairer system than the "straight from the air" figures that get applied in Ireland.

Thats the way its worked here as well, I know that Dublin Insurance with certain companies is cheaper then meath or kildrare. Reason being that a lot of people commute from, for e.g, Kidare to Dublin (urban sprawl) & that the chances of having an accident is higher if your traveling to dublin from kildare as your travleing a longer distance. Therefor insurance is cheaper in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

SDK wrote:
    This car is only 30mph faster then my current car and gets 0-60 in half the time.

Comments like that are the reason insurance is high for young drivers on high powered cars :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

SDK wrote:
    The reasons are:
    1)The ST focus has a nice body and wheels..
    2)ST has leather seats, traction controls, A/C is much more luxurious than my current focus
    3)It is a very rare car to be seen in this country, not many people have it.
    4)I work hard at my job and Im only young once, I can afford to do this and have no important things to be paying for at the moment...IE kids and mortgage etc!
    5)why not?

This car is only 30mph faster then my current car and gets 0-60 in half the time. It has more airbags and has traction conrtol and ABS! So I dont understand how they wont insure me in it as its a non-turbo/supercharged. Its much safer then most cars insured on this road.

Its all to do with responsbility. If you are a good driver or not. I want to get it because its the only nice focus other than the RS or ST220.

I feel your pain. We were all your age at one point, and the choice is either pay through the nose for (relatively) high performance, or compromise and pay less.

For what it's worth a new or newish Focus Titanium will have most/all of the kit you are after, with a 115bhp VVT 1.6 engine. This is more than adequate for Irish roads imho.

p.s. The latest Focus ST (2522cc turbo 5 cylinder) is by some distance the most desirable of the range to date. A mountain of torque, a wonderful engine note, glorious Recaro seats, and sensational handling. Nice ride comfort too for a sporty car. The Mk.1 RS is tremendously harsh suspension wise, and the active diff. is a bit of a pain.

Keith C wrote:
    Thats the way its worked here as well, I know that Dublin Insurance with certain companies is cheaper then meath or kildrare. Reason being that a lot of people commute from, for e.g, Kidare to Dublin (urban sprawl) & that the chances of having an accident is higher if your traveling to dublin from kildare as your travleing a longer distance. Therefor insurance is cheaper in Dublin.

When I got my first renewal quote from Quinn direct last year, their "Best" renewal price they could give me was 2200, which I thought was ok considering my first quote was 3200. So I went to their website the next day and ended up getting 600-700 euro off that renewal quote. So I rang them and they gave the quote to me, because I'd found them out. Whats the deal with that? thats not right, how can they try pull the wool over my eyes? I thought the site was broke, but for a few days after that I did a few more quotes and got around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

SDK wrote:
    When I got my first renewal quote from Quinn direct last year, their "Best" renewal price they could give me was 2200, which I thought was ok considering my first quote was 3200. So I went to their website the next day and ended up getting 600-700 euro off that renewal quote. So I rang them and they gave the quote to me, because I'd found them out. Whats the deal with that? thats not right, how can they try pull the wool over my eyes? I thought the site was broke, but for a few days after that I did a few more quotes and got around the same.

I had the same thing SDK - my renewal quote was 1400 from AXA so i haggled on the phone and they said ok 900. Then they revealed that my wife had been named on the policy for the past year unknown to me who has a prov license (transferred from previous policy when they said in the first place she couldnt be on it) so i said take her off to reduce the premium. "No the premium goes up when she is taken off sir" was the reply. Bizzare. Ended up with Eagle Star for 700. Car is Focus ST 2.5 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SDK wrote:
    From what I've learned, insurance companies will "chance their arm" with the first renewal quote they offer you on the basis that a lot of people will just pay it to save the hassle of having to shop around - ie: most people are lazy so end up paying more for it! :rolleyes:

sneakyST wrote:
    I had the same thing SDK - my renewal quote was 1400 from AXA so i haggled on the phone and they said ok 900. Then they revealed that my wife had been named on the policy for the past year unknown to me who has a prov license (transferred from previous policy when they said in the first place she couldnt be on it) so i said take her off to reduce the premium. "No the premium goes up when she is taken off sir" was the reply. Bizzare. Ended up with Eagle Star for 700. Car is Focus ST 2.5 btw

Quinn direct screwed me around. I seen an ad on carzone.ie for the ST170 and the ad underneath saying to ring quinn for a quote on this vehicle and so I did, only to be told no Quinn dont insure this particular model...so I emailed them and asked them if they could maybe have another look and make me an offer (as they are currently my insurer). They replied back asking details for my account number etc. So I sent them...they replied back asking about the year, they then emailed back when I replied with the year and told me to call to "Complete the quote", so I did and when I called I was told "sorry, we dont insure this vehicle"....So I emailed back asking what the story was? and why I was told to call if they werent going to insure me? and so I was told to call up again and talk to customer support and they would complete the quotation...so I rang up and the customer service agent knew what it was about etc....then he just says "sorry we dont insure that vehicle"......deja vu I thought, havent we been here before? wtf is goin on? why cant they just say in the first email, they wont insure me. They were stringing me along and when I asked in the end of it all, why I couldnt get a quote they replied "because of the specifications of the vehicle"...ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I had the same experience when I asked them did they offer a discount for passing an IAM test. Got an e-mail back after 2-3 days asking me for my account details. "Great, I thought, they're going to calculate how much of a discount to offer". Got a reply back another 2-3 days later saying "Sorry we don't". Like why the **** couldn't they just say that without the hassle of asking for account details?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

quinn will quote me on an integra type-r 189bhp but wont insure me on the st170 either, they dont make much sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

SDK wrote:

+1
    You don't sound like a bastard, but your youth & ignorance are pretty clear. I have 20 years of claim-free driving experience and an IAM license, and I am aware that I don't know it all. You've been driving two years and you think that you have nothing more to learn about driving. This, my friend, is why you are paying three times as much for insurance on a 2.0 as I pay on a 4.2.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    You don't sound like a bastard, but your youth & ignorance are pretty clear. I have 20 years of claim-free driving experience and an IAM license, and I am aware that I don't know it all. You've been driving two years and you think that you have nothing more to learn about driving. This, my friend, is why you are paying three times as much for insurance on a 2.0 as I pay on a 4.2.;)

LOL wow I never once said Ive nothing more to learn, you just assumed that. As the saying goes "everyday is a school day" I said they should give us clean drivers a break and not stick us all in the same category. I think age shouldnt have anything to do with it. BUT it cant take you 20 years to learn how to drive, if you have 20 years and IAM license then you are a very very good driver....but I think you're going over board saying you're still learning, maybe you're still shaking off the bad habits in driving...you're looking at my posts and thinking "would ye look at this young buck eh? saying he knows it all after 2 years driving", but thats not what I'm saying....Im wondering why we get shafted for insurance? in fact why are we getting shafted on everything in this country. It would be different if I had points on my license or had claimed, but I havent and all those insurance companies are making huge profits off us. They chance their arms with insurance quotes sometimes and being 23 shouldnt have anything to do with it.

draffodx wrote:
    quinn will quote me on an integra type-r 189bhp but wont insure me on the st170 either, they dont make much sense at all

Yeah I got a quote on a Starlet glanza V 190bhp for 1100 with quinn. what do they have against the ST?

SDK wrote:
    Yeah I got a quote on a Starlet glanza V 190bhp for 1100 with quinn. what do they have against the ST?

I think its black marked as its seen as a hot hatch, its not actually that hot though, i seen a lovely black one for sale and pretty much had it bought until i rang up looking for a quote was very dissappointed to say the least.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    I think its black marked as its seen as a hot hatch, its not actually that hot though, i seen a lovely black one for sale and pretty much had it bought until i rang up looking for a quote was very dissappointed to say the least.

I think I know the black one you're talking about. I was looking to import one from england. I am the same, lined 1 up, but cant get the insurance on it. AXA quoted me 2900 and when I rang up to confirm, they took the offer back and said because the quote was over 14 days it wasnt valid and said they wouldnt re-issue a quote. Been messed around a lot by insurance companies over the past 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

do people not realize that the insurance grouping of a car isn't just down to the performance, (or age or price) its got a lot to do with the insurance statics of that car, i.e. what percentage of them are involved in accidents.
    thats why you could get cheaper insurance on a 220bhp Volvo than a 160bhp Civic. the insurance company knows more VTI civic are involved in accidents than T5 Volvos.

also, when i renewed my policy for my MR2, they told me my girlfriend was still on the policy, when i asked how much cheaper it would be if i took her off, they said €1. she's 24yr with no experience and a provisional license. thats Quinn Direct for ya.

yeh i'm aware of that ctc_celtic but the focus st170 is an extremely rare car, i cant see it being too high on there statistics for crashes or boy racer image or anything, it doesnt make much sense

is it cheaper to add a girlfriend even if your not living with them or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

SDK wrote:
    LOL wow I never once said Ive nothing more to learn, you just assumed that. As the saying goes "everyday is a school day"
    Well actually, you did:
    SDK wrote:
    I like to think of myself as a safe driver, but I think we should be trusted more based on our no claims because you can learn a lot in 2 years and I doubt anyones driving skills change after that.
    SDK wrote:
    I said they should give us clean drivers a break and not stick us all in the same category. I think age shouldnt have anything to do with it.
    This has been answered so many times for you. What part of younger drivers are a higher risk don't you understand?

Anan1 wrote:
    Well actually, you did:

This has been answered so many times for you. What part of younger drivers are a higher risk don't you understand?

Anan, I know younger drivers are higher risk and I just said I doubt my driving will change much over the next few years. I didnt say it WONT change. Obviously I have more to learn, thats apart of life.

What I meant was, if you're doing anything for 2 years everyday, you'll get used to the way you do things. It becomes second nature to you and the bad habits you'll have picked up will be already there, but it doesnt mean you know it all.

Im sorry for making it sound like I know it all....I didnt mean for it to sound like that.

draffodx wrote:
    yeh i'm aware of that ctc_celtic but the focus st170 is an extremely rare car, i cant see it being too high on there statistics for crashes or boy racer image or anything, it doesnt make much sense

is it cheaper to add a girlfriend even if your not living with them or anything like that?
    i reckon they just did't want to give me any money off by taking of my GF.
    as for the ST, they are probably just looking at the demograph of the kind of person who will buy them.

you could alway do what i done with my MR2. Quinn D would't quote it, but as i already bought the car, they had to insure me on it. I was in the middle of my policy and they cant refuse as its part of insuranc law.
    Only problem is they could charge you a fortune extra. in my case my previous car was of similar spec. so there was no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,753 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ctc_celtic wrote:
    as for the ST, they are probably just looking at the demograph of the kind of person who will buy them.
    Successfull people in jobs that pay way so they must have a good bit of common sense and sense of responsibility?

Tauren wrote:
    Successfull people in jobs that pay way so they must have a good bit of common sense and sense of responsibility?

yeah, but in the real world, people who are more likely to be involved in accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tauren wrote:

Or people who were lucky enough to earn lots of money by going straight into a trade, but still live at home with Mammy so don't have rent to pay. That would be the profile of many people I know with expensive cars.

Advertisement