Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Companies Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SDK

Well Ladies and Gentlemen I did it! I finally won the battle. I have sitting outside my ST170 and in the window a nice insurance disc that cost me less than 2k full comp....huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Who did ytou end up getting insured with? Im with quinn direct and id like to change to another comany but im having a hard time finding anyone cheaper. Though i did find unlinke quinn direct britton will give me insurance on any car got the following quotes

evo 4 2000
    skyline gtr 2400
    honda nsx 2600
    detomaso pantera 2800
    ferrari 550 2800

• Registered Users Posts: 45,753 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

when i was looking to get my new insurance cover, i had a look around. Nowhere came close to matching Quinn (€1200, Full License, 1Yr NCB - 97 Mazda 323f 1.5) The lowest quote from anyone else was €1600. Benchmark offed me insurance for €2600! €400 more then i paid to quinn in my first year as a provisional driver with no experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Rowanh,

What's the excess on the quotes you've given there? I'd imagine it's at least the €4k I'm paying if not more!

Congrats on finally getting the insurance SDK. Enjoy the car...and here's hoping that you're not on here in a couple of months looking for a decent crash repair company!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

It's a simple maths equation......all you youngsters with loads of disposable income have to pay loads of dosh on your insurance so all us old codgers (over 30) with kids, mortgages etc can enjoy lower premiums.

And we thank you all for your contribution :D:D:D

Can't wait to see the feedback on this from the under 25 brigade:D

• Advertisement

Rowanh,

What's the excess on the quotes you've given there? I'd imagine it's at least the €4k I'm paying if not more!

Im fairly sure it was no excess or alsmost none, was for thirsd party fire and theft only though. I guess if you had a 550 you would be mad not to get fully comp, or the pantera for that matter.
    keefg wrote:
    t's a simple maths equation......all you youngsters with loads of disposable income have to pay loads of dosh on your insurance so all us old codgers

Might be the case, my first year of insurance was about 3k on a polo, now five years later its under 1k for a car i think almost 5 times as powerful and im 26 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

keefg wrote:
    It's a simple maths equation......all you youngsters with loads of disposable income have to pay loads of dosh on your insurance so all us old codgers (over 30) with kids, mortgages etc can enjoy lower premiums.

And we thank you all for your contribution :D:D:D

Can't wait to see the feedback on this from the under 25 brigade:D

An extremely poor explanation for all the shameless profiteering that the insurance companies delve into. Like pigs in sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Just for most peoples info, an insurance companys profit is not just based on car insurance alone, the big money is in Commercial insurance for e.g buildings in grafton st, ifsc, your talking bout a couple of hundred million. Thats where the profit is, not car insurance. maybe people should do more research rather then what they hear over a couple of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

At the end of the day, use your feet and go with a broker.

I'm 24 next month cant wait to hit 25 yrs old.

My insurance renewal last September was 850e on a 1.4 1999 Astra.

Straight away I rang my broker back and told them that Quinn where offering me 500e for the same policy. All Lies off course.

They said hold and they would contact me back while they rang the insurance company am insured with.

Half hour they rang back and offer to match and i accepted it. I saved 350e in the space of a half hour and two phone calls.

Insurance savings are better obtained through brokers in my opinion as they have better bargaining power.

Try First Ireland Risk Management - they give reasonable sensible quotes.

I dont think he was being serious..

The reason insurance is so expensive is because

a)There are a lot of claims in ireland both genuine and false
    b)Insurance companies in Ireland have been making a massive amount of profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

rowanh wrote:
    I dont think he was being serious..

The reason insurance is so expensive is because

a)There are a lot of claims in ireland both genuine and false
    b)Insurance companies in Ireland have been making a massive amount of profit.

(a) is just an excuse and (b) is the reason they use it!!

Well its not just an excuse, there are more insurance claims in ireland than almost any country per capita. Its not just motor insurance that is expensive, not long ago the main reason for small companies going out of business was not being able to afford public liability insurance. At the same time they use this fact to stop people questioning there massive profits.

I think the question is what can be done and the answer is a very little without a lot of work and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SDK

rowanh wrote:
    Who did ytou end up getting insured with? Im with quinn direct and id like to change to another comany but im having a hard time finding anyone cheaper. Though i did find unlinke quinn direct britton will give me insurance on any car got the following quotes

evo 4 2000
    skyline gtr 2400
    honda nsx 2600
    detomaso pantera 2800
    ferrari 550 2800

I actually found approaching insurance companies directly is useless. As was said before, your best bet is brokers. I went with Insure.ie, they sorted me out with a nice ol quote.

Advertisement