Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Mambo and Joomla

Options
  • 25-05-2007 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully im posting this in the correct forum.

Im just wondering which CMS someone would recommend for someone who hasnt used it before, i.e. which is easiest to install and which generally works better.

I'll need it for a site that has news items, project items and basic html and images, nothing too complex

Do i just need a mySQL database on a linux server to run it ?

How long on average would it take to integrate the system with an existing version of a static website.

EDIT: the site is on Unix Basic Hosting with Novara, will Joomla work on this hosting ?

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

You definitely do need MySQL. I'm not sure if it will run on windows hosting, but Novara UNIX sounds good to me.

Mambo and Joomla! are both very similar. Personally I recommend Drupal, it runs flawlessly and to be honest seems a lot less complex than mambo or joomla!. Trying to just create a static page in M/J is too complicated a process. Having said all that, they're both equally easy to install. I always get the sense that they are simply too big and complex for a small website. My favourite CMS of all is e107, but the plugins are limited and the support base of users isn't as big. If you use Mambo/Joomla or Drupal there's lots of people out there who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You'd be better off with Joomla rather than Mambo.

You will need MySQL to run it.

To use an existing design for a joomla site really depends on your coding skill. A website created with CSS wouldn't be hard to carry over to joomla.

I dont see mention of database support in that package with host.ie. Do you realise you could get a Personal Linux Plan with hosting365 for 40 euro a year or a SOHO HOSTING plan from Blacknight for 35 euro - each with way more features (including databases) than what you are getting with host.ie for 100 euro??

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Yeah the client bought the hosting before i had a chance to recommend what company and package to go with.

Thanks for the info

Advertisement