Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backpacking Thailand-Cambodia etc

• 25-05-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Any tips from people who have done this before. I'm probabaly going to save up and do a rolling trip (not stopping for work etc).

The proposed route is Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietman-Malaysia-Indonesia-Austrialia-New Zealand and then onto the states.

A few questions would be:
    a) when is the best time to go? Was thinking November maybe?
    b) will be for 3 months, how much mula?
    c) how does one purchase flight tickets, is there such thing as an open ticket?

Any other stories/tips would be great.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭saviourgirl

My friend did that route last year, she loved it. She posts on here will get her to reply with what she did etc.

Enjoy it
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thats a lot of travelling for 3 months! I spent 3 months in Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam alone (could have been a lot longer). I'd be inclined to leave out a country or two, you'll be exhausted and spend a fortune getting around. I'd recommend Malaysia though, great people, and fantastic food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Cool, whats the best way to get started? How exactly did you travel from country to country? Did you use an open ticket?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Wow that's way way way too many places for 3 months!

Wow that's way way way too many places for 3 months!

I've gathered that from Glowing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

PCros wrote:
    I've gathered that from Glowing...
    Easy tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

PCros wrote:
    Cool, whats the best way to get started? How exactly did you travel from country to country? Did you use an open ticket?

Thanks

Well first of all, don't over plan. Bangkok is a fantastic base, and if you fly in there, you can get anywhere in S.E Asia with minimal hassle. I used a combination of busses/Air Asia flights, boats and trains. None of which needed to be booked before I left.

Given the route you are planning, if I were you, I'd fly into BKK, travel from there to Laos and Cambodia, then back into BKK, south through Thailand to Malaysia and fly from Singapore to Indonesia. If you're doing all this in 3 months, I'd nearly leave out Indonesia altogether, and fly from Singapore to Oz or NZ. How much of Oz do you intend to see?

Get yourself a round the world ticket - flight date changes are easy and usually only incur a small fee (or nothing, depending on who you get on the phone at the time :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

Air Asia has a sale on at the min.

If you have an idea when you are tavelling, you could save a fortune by booking now. I did some of your itinary last year.

Went from Bangkok to Singapore then onto Bali. There are flight from Bali (densapar in Indo) onto Darwin in Northern Australia. Very cheap flights. Also look at Tiger airways and Nok air ( one of Nok air's planes recentyl went down in Indo tho...).

Base yourself in BAngkok. You can get to Cambodia cheaply by taking an air asia flight. From Cambodia, you can go over to Vietnam, and take a boat down the Mekong. You need to sort your visa before you go into Vietnam. Everywhere else in visa on arrival.

Glowing wrote:
    Well first of all, don't over plan. Bangkok is a fantastic base, and if you fly in there, you can get anywhere in S.E Asia with minimal hassle. I used a combination of busses/Air Asia flights, boats and trains. None of which needed to be booked before I left.

Given the route you are planning, if I were you, I'd fly into BKK, travel from there to Laos and Cambodia, then back into BKK, south through Thailand to Malaysia and fly from Singapore to Indonesia. If you're doing all this in 3 months, I'd nearly leave out Indonesia altogether, and fly from Singapore to Oz or NZ. How much of Oz do you intend to see?

Get yourself a round the world ticket - flight date changes are easy and usually only incur a small fee (or nothing, depending on who you get on the phone at the time :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the info guys.

Glowing, had a look at your blog and its brilliant, very detailed and gave me some knowledge as to what I am doing.

Was looking at some of the USIT round the world tickets, I will probably go with them. Will probably leave Vietman out though.

I want to spend more time in NZ than OZ because I have relations there, so would 2 weeks in NZ and 1 week in OZ be enough, we dont want to go that far outside Sydney.

Its now 4 months I have so how much mula would you recommend to bring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭saviourgirl

Yeah you should have enough time, you probably wont be able to stray too far from your stopover cities but once you plan it out i.e how long you want to stay etc you should be fine!

Try fit in Cook Islands and Tahiti......paradise!

• Advertisement
Advertisement