Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polling station regulations

Options
  • 25-05-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    I'm a first time poster and a bit nervous. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about rules or regulations that cover the environment in which we vote. Yesterday, at my local polling station, the radio was on while I was voting. This didn't seem quite right to me. There was an election phone-in going on at the time. Surely there should not be any outside influence? I'd love to know if there are regulations covering this. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lifelister

please.. surely someone must know if there is a rule that says we should not be subject to outside influence when voting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

I know canvassers and election posters can't be within 100 or so metres of a polling centre on the day, but i don't know about much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

lifelister wrote:
    please.. surely someone must know if there is a rule that says we should not be subject to outside influence when voting?

We were told in our station not to have a radio on if someone was in the room.

I cant quote verbatim where the rule that says that is.

But in all serious people will complain about anything at a polling station. It shouldnt have been on but i dont think it is worth kicking up a fuss over.

it just seems so weird that in my tiny polling station in mayo (local pop about 300) that they can put joe duffy or whoever on the radio at full blast when people are talking politics. In a way it's like having canvassers in the booth with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Especially since there's no one-sided stations or any debates going on during polling day.

• Advertisement

Agent J wrote:
    We were told in our station not to have a radio on if someone was in the room.

I cant quote verbatim where the rule that says that is.

But in all serious people will complain about anything at a polling station. It shouldnt have been on but i dont think it is worth kicking up a fuss over.

yes, thanks for that Agent J- it didn't seem right but I'm sure you are right - more important things to complain about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement