Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External dial up modem drivers

• 25-05-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a new pc (Vista) for which I need a new external USB dial up modem. I rang PC World who say they have Zoom modems in stock but that they do not come with the Vista Drivers. They have the drivers themselves and will install them (for which I will have to pay a fee). Alternatively they suggested downloading the drivers from the website. I only managed to find the following

http://www.zoom.com/vista/

As you can see there are only drivers available for some of their modems. Any idea if the driver for the USB Softmodem is likely to do the trick for me? The others are "coming soon". Alternatively do you have any suggestions for UBS modems that come with Vista Drivers available online?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The external modem in the store does it have a serial number on the box as Zoom's web page states serial numbers that are compatible.

There is a reasonable chance the modem is supported out of the box if it used a fairly common chipset, often XP drivers will work as well as long as were talking about 32-bit Vista here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I havent seen the modem yet- only spoke to the guy in the store. I actually have an external modem myself which i thought wouldnt work however, i think it may. The problem is that the driver that is available for this one is only XP but I'm hoping still works. More importantly the lead that goes from the modem to the pc is only a standard dialup phone lead, while the pc only takes the version with the bigger connection ( I think this is for broadband modems) I hope i can get some kind of an adapter.

Apologies if I am not explaining it very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

56k modems would have only used two connections to the PC well three if you go back far enough, serial, parallel & the modern interface USB.

Only broadband modems use a cable that looks like a telephone cable only bigger this is in fact an ethernet or network cable you plug into a network card.

Double check the modem connections again to find the right one.

Advertisement