Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Results for Waterford

• 25-05-2007 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all..

Just back from a few hours in the count centre. It looks like Martin Cullen has flown home, John Deasy isnt far behind.

3rd Seat looks to be Brian O'Shea's, and 4th is between Ollie Wilkinson and Brendan Kenneally with an outside bet for Paudie Coffey if transfers go his way.

Either way.. I sense its going to be same again.

Cant understand why voters havent made a bigger point to shout for Waterford. In my own opinion, we needed new blood. Not sure now if we'll get it.

Our reputation as easy to please and internal complainers stands by the looks of it. We can sing for that University and Public Radiotherapy for another while I reckon.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Here are figures just given to me by WLR News Room;

21.9% Martin Cullen (FF) - 1st Count Election most likely

16.42% John Deasy (FG)

11.98% Ollie Wilkinson (FF)

10.8% Brian O'Shea (LABOUR)

10.8% Brendan Kennealy (FF)

9.7% Paudie Coffey (FG)

6.9% David Cullanane (SF)

3.3% John Halligan (Workers Party)

2.7% Jim Darcy (FG)

2.5% Brendan McAnn (Greens)

1.7% Mary Roche (Ind)

Others have to little to mention.

--

Looks like poor McCant didnt get the votes I was told he would :D Thought SF had a better chance.. the way it was going anyway (before the election). Other then that, good to see Paudie doing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What does Ollie Wilkinson actually do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mossy Monk wrote:

Honestly, iv no idea. Himself and Kennealy I never heard of until there posters arrived. Iv only ever heard of Martin Cullen doing stuff for Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Mossy Monk wrote:

sits on the back bench and votes on issues with the Government parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Trotter wrote:
    Hi all..

Just back from a few hours in the count centre. It looks like Martin Cullen has flown home, John Deasy isnt far behind.

3rd Seat looks to be Brian O'Shea's, and 4th is between Ollie Wilkinson and Brendan Kenneally with an outside bet for Paudie Coffey if transfers go his way.

Either way.. I sense its going to be same again.

Cant understand why voters havent made a bigger point to shout for Waterford. In my own opinion, we needed new blood. Not sure now if we'll get it.

Our reputation as easy to please and internal complainers stands by the looks of it. We can sing for that University and Public Radiotherapy for another while I reckon.
    You were there too? Heh...Lots of action eh?

Yeah, the general feeling was 'same again'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I would love to think McCann will see his 1000 votes as a big rejection of his policy and behaviour but I fear he will extract some "revenge" by objecting even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Roanmore wrote:
    I would love to think McCann will see his 1000 votes as a big rejection of his policy and behaviour but I fear he will extract some "revenge" by objecting even more

need to write an open letter to him in next weeks News & Star me thinks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly what I expected and predicted on one of the elections forum threads. The SF vote is nicely becalmed but slightly worrying that McCann can get more votes than Mary Roche. :eek:

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Exactly what I expected and predicted on one of the elections forum threads. The SF vote is nicely becalmed but slightly worrying that McCann can get more votes than Mary Roche. :eek:

Mike.

Think this would be mainly to do that everybody heard of McCann and he has had a mini strong following in Waterford.

Roche on the other hand is relatively quiet and unkown and is not part of any particular party.

An independent vs. a green I think - is a tough one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote:

Roche on the other hand is relatively quiet and unkown and is not part of any particular party.

Maybe Mary should bring the development of Waterford to its knees too and pick up the votes from getting her name in the paper as much as McCant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

The main thing is Mc Cann didnt get elected,hopefully he will get the message Waterford doesnt want his policies

The count is crawling along in Waterford. People at the count centre were all complaining about the time it was taking between counts and vote dispersal.

Halligan is gone now so no surprises so far.

Im wondering now could we end up with Cullen, Deasy, Kenneally, and Wilkinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote:
    Im wondering now could we end up with Cullen, Deasy, Kenneally, and Wilkinson.

I doubt it. O'Shea is picking up transfers now. He picked up some from Halligan on count 7:

KENNEALLY, Brendan 6995
    O'SHEA, Brian* 7086
    WILKINSON, Ollie* 6443

Cullinane has been eliminated now, and I would expect O'Shea to pick up more of his transfers than Wilkinson will.

I predict only one change: Kenneally in instead of Waster Wilkinson.

fricatus wrote:
    I doubt it. O'Shea is picking up transfers now. He picked up some from Halligan on count 7:

KENNEALLY, Brendan 6995
    O'SHEA, Brian* 7086
    WILKINSON, Ollie* 6443

Cullinane has been eliminated now, and I would expect O'Shea to pick up more of his transfers than Wilkinson will.

I predict only one change: Kenneally in instead of Waster Wilkinson.

One waster replacing another. Are they going to a finish in the centre tonight or will it roll over til tomorrow?

EDIT.. Coffey's just gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It'll keep going tonight as far as I know.

1 - Cullen
    2 - Deasy
    3 - O'Shea
    4 - Kenneally

At least its a change of some sort! Will Kenneally be the kind of anonymous TD that resulted in him being turfed out before?

Its a lineup I wouldnt have predicted (We SHOULD have elected Mary Roche) but good luck to our new TDs.

We on boards WILL be watching you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Whatever about the top two, (certainties unfortunately)what the F has O'Shea ever done (other than sit on his fat ass):mad: ?

Kennealy! WTF is that all about?

We're F**ked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Go John Deasy ..

From the Rte.ie Website

Meanwhile, Fine Gael Waterford TD John Deasy has criticised party leader Enda Kenny.

He said that the party needed 'an attitude change and a credible leader' after it failed to secure enough votes to form the next government with Labour.

The outgoing Dublin North-East Labour deputy, Tommy Broughan, has also criticised his party leader's election strategy.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0526/electionreax.html

No change in terms of parties, and unless someone has a great election campaign and someone in a different party has a really bad one its hard to see FF/FF/FG/Lab being upset anytime soon. Or might Coffey get the better of O'Shea next time? If the latter stands again.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trotter wrote:
    1 - Cullen
    2 - Deasy
    3 - O'Shea
    4 - Kenneally

At least its a change of some sort! Will Kenneally be the kind of anonymous TD that resulted in him being turfed out before?

Its a lineup I wouldnt have predicted (We SHOULD have elected Mary Roche) but good luck to our new TDs.

We on boards WILL be watching you :D

Why should we have elected Mary Roche, She only really had one issue and that was regarding the WIT. I for one and glad she did not get in. With regards to Kenneally getting in, well any one would be better than that Wilkinson. Heard him many times on the national airwaves and he was an embarrassment to our City.

And as for claiming he has brought Radiotherapy to Waterford, well don't get me started on that one. He has done **** all and let me tell you he wont be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Or might Coffey get the better of O'Shea next time? If the latter stands again.

I somewhat doubt it, O'Shea has a massive personal vote and is probably the best candidate in Waterford for getting transfers (once again he polled the least number of first preference votes among those elected).

I don't think the election of Mary Roche would have helped given her past performance in the City Council.
    Kennealy! WTF is that all about?

If I had to choose between the two, I'd prefer to have a waster from the City as the TD rather than a complete waster from the County. Now we can only hope that he puts in the same amount of effort that he did for trying to win back his seat!

Regarding the other candidates, I can imagine that John Halligan is probably very disappointed to only increase his vote by .8% but he might look at that with a bit of optimism as the pattern around the country showed that most members of the smaller parties, particularly the left parties, were losing votes. Likewise, David Cullinane will be disappointed, but I don't care much for him at all.

Despite what I think about her, Mary Roche will also be surprised to have won so little votes. I think that by banking on Waterford needing an Independent was a risky strategy for her as Waterford has never been a county that introduces radical change, especially when the election becomes a battle between two leaders. Campaigning primarily on the urgent need for a university would have been a far more rewarding strategy for her, but hindsight is great, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She had very few posters up and she is a virtual unknown outside the city.

Anyway.. its academic now!

What we have we have.

How do we get the best out of the 4 TD's we have just elected?

I see Deasy is off already :rolleyes:

From RTE.ie
    Meanwhile, Fine Gael Waterford TD John Deasy has criticised party leader Enda Kenny.

He said that the party needed 'an attitude change and a credible leader' after it failed to secure enough votes to form the next government with Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Do you not think he has a valid point? Enda Kenny is wooden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From RTE.ie

Michael Noonan left the party in total disarray! I'm not a FG supporter but I do think that Enda has done a good job in being able to claw back many of the seats they lost in the 2002 election. FF, PDs and SF have even complimented him on achieving it so I really don't know what John hopes to achieve by stirring ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Youngest leader of FG ever? Do what his dad never did?

Well I would'nt vote for Deasy to be my party leader! He's way too young and inexpirienced. He needs to have clocked up the miles and held a postion of some rank first. Not easy when in permanant opposition.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I think the best possible result for Waterford would have been.

Cullen,Deasy,Roche,Wilkinson or Keneally.Keneally or Wilkinson would have been interchangeable because they both have poor histories.

If Waterford voted Cullen and Roche instead of Cullen and a second FF it would have been a disaster for Cullen.If Waterford wanted to vote really strategically they should have put Brian O'Shea on the sacrificial Alter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

There is no question that Mary Roche would have been better for Waterford than Kenneally. It's a pity that this time people were more obsessed with pushing a particular government and therefore ignored independents. Ironically, independents could end up holding the balance of power.

Good to see Wilkinson lose his seat, he was a useless embarassment. Kenneally, the quiet man, might wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Aquos76 wrote:
    Why should we have elected Mary Roche, She only really had one issue and that was regarding the WIT. I for one and glad she did not get in. With regards to Kenneally getting in, well any one would be better than that Wilkinson. Heard him many times on the national airwaves and he was an embarrassment to our City. QUOTE]

She has two issues as that Roche woman is a noted hater of KK and I'm delighted to see the Waterford electorate told her to f**k off. From pre election posts some here seem to like her but I have taken personal satisfaction in f**king up potential voters in any conversation concerning Waterford politics I was involved in.
    As to the result itself glad to see Cullen recognised for the great work he's done for Wateford and I know Brendan Kenneally personally & whatever about his performance in the Dail & Seanad he's always remained 1:1 with those who knew before getting elected.
    Although I never voted for him O'Shea does a good job for Tramore apparently & as to John "maddog" Deasy I'd have no time for his individualism & rebel like activity against his party leader.

Advertisement