Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company of Heroes

Options
  • 25-05-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was just looking at the trailer for this game. It looks amazing, but I also read that it has a fair amount of bugs. Just thought I'd ask your experiences of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its probably the best RTS available. Great gameplay, and some excellent moments in it. I didnt play it a huge amount (not as into rts's as i used to be), but what i did play i enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Excellent game :):D

Real thought involved

Although you make bases etc like Command and Conquer, the focus is on your units, you cant really mass produce like in C&C and other games;) , as your Population cap and resources are determined by the amount of strategic points which you control :):D

So 1 or 2 units, well placed, can make all the difference in teh game:)

Graphics are excellent, brilliant single player campaign, and online is good too. Me and my clan often had 3v3s :rolleyes:

Tbh, i didnt really have a problem with any bugs,nor did any of my mates.

And at this stage i think theres a 1.5 patch out which has probably sorted everything :)

If u enjoy RTS in any way, id HIGHLY reccomend this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you've played most other RTS games, then you won't really find anything new here (as in it's your standard build a base, build up troops and then attack type thing). But it does do it a hell of a lot better than most other games. It's great fun and also has great multiplayer too. (And if you've played Dawn Of Was, then this is exactly the same with slightly better graphics and set in WW2).

I'd definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

my only problem with this game is the length.

in all its fairly easy if you have an rts head on your shoulders, theres a few difficult levels (the hill argh)

i never had a problem with bugs and it played very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

its not a singleplayer game. The singleplayer "campaign" prepares you for online play, its nothing more than that.

Great great game btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

It's a great game alright. I was slightly disappointed by it though, I was hoping that it would have a different feel to it than the standard RTS fare - build base, amass troops, clear map of enemies, rinse and repeat. Maybe more of a focus on the individual troop units or something, I don't know.

Even though it's pretty much more of the same, it does it very well.

Haven't come across any bugs in it yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's a great game alright. I was slightly disappointed by it though, I was hoping that it would have a different feel to it than the standard RTS fare - build base, amass troops, clear map of enemies, rinse and repeat. Maybe more of a focus on the individual troop units or something, I don't know.
    If you've played most other RTS games, then you won't really find anything new here (as in it's your standard build a base, build up troops and then attack type thing). But it does do it a hell of a lot better than most other games. It's great fun and also has great multiplayer too. (And if you've played Dawn Of Was, then this is exactly the same with slightly better graphics and set in WW2).

I have no idea what game the two of you are talking about.

Company of Heroes completely destroys the traditional formula of build base and amass troops.

Its the only game I know of that you can not only win but absolutly trash your opponent without touching a single tank.

The depth in its units far outwieghs any other game.

simply amassing units and sending them in is suicide in this game.

Sure it might work in single player, but thats only on easy.

also (and I know darkireland's gonna hang me for this) while it has similarities to dawn of war, the general powers and the better variety of units puts it in a different area.

Also the single player campaign, while short, the missions are fantastic, very open and complicated.

It is the best RTS out there, and the add on pack is on the way later this year (adding the British to the game and allowing you to play the germans in single player in market garden)

Did I mention this game has the best builder units in any game? Not only can they build bases, but you can upgrade them with flamethrowers, set mines, send them out as support on the map to build defences and barracades. The most versitile unit, lightyears ahead of simple *builder* units you find in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I have no idea what game the two of you are talking about.

Company of Heroes completely destroys the traditional formula of build base and amass troops.

Its the only game I know of that you can not only win but absolutly trash your opponent without touching a single tank.

The depth in its units far outwieghs any other game.

simply amassing units and sending them in is suicide in this game.

Sure it might work in single player, but thats only on easy.

also (and I know darkireland's gonna hang me for this) while it has similarities to dawn of war, the general powers and the better variety of units puts it in a different area.

Also the single player campaign, while short, the missions are fantastic, very open and complicated.

It is the best RTS out there, and the add on pack is on the way later this year (adding the British to the game and allowing you to play the germans in single player in market garden)

Did I mention this game has the best builder units in any game? Not only can they build bases, but you can upgrade them with flamethrowers, set mines, send them out as support on the map to build defences and barracades. The most versitile unit, lightyears ahead of simple *builder* units you find in other games.

Would agree with this. Doesnt feel like any RTS Ive ever played before. Excellent game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yep, beats Supreme Commander for me, I haven't played online yet, mostly play agains the Extreme AI, fine with me.

Can't wait for the expansion: Opposing Fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thanks for the good replies lads! Always been keen on startegy games since the first age of empires, will definetely be checking it out. Played dawn of war until my sound card made it virtually unplayable :( Annoying audio glitch.

Basically I'll be upgrading my PC over summer, and this is definetely going on my list! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah best rts on the market at the moment.
    Bests graphics and audio in any rts.
    A decent single player and great mutiplayer.
    There is a huge amount of depth in the game even with only 2 factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yep, beats Supreme Commander for me

supreme commander was such a big disapointment for me. Especially after Company of Heroes, its units (even the huge ones) feel so basic compared to company of heroes (and even C&C3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm a big fan of Dawn of War and Starcraft but just couldn't get into Company of Heroes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

A couple of us on Teamspeak play COH online a fair bit , 3 v 3 and 4 v 4 battles mainly .... best game I bought in a long time , getting great value for money from it .

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

jonski who from Ireland plays COH online?. Must hook up with you if for a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Azza wrote:
    jonski who from Ireland plays COH online?. Must hook up with you if for a few games.

Not sure other than myself and yitsack , we are both in a european clan and there are 4 regular players there and about 4 more playing now and again . In the Strategy section below I think there was a good few that played it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Coh is very good but i still think dawn of war + winter assult + dark crusade are better they are just more fun .......hope relic are makeing dawn of war 2 as is hinted at the end of dark crusade

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jsut bought c&c 3 and generals. If found it hard to get into other rts games after wc3 as i played it for so many years found nothing to compare, also have gotten the dawn of war series.

Might have to check out coh

Advertisement